need about 4-5 feet

johnner1999

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 18, 2004
earth
Hello all -- do you know where I can buy a pole extension for the dish? I have some trees in the way I think (can only see SAT110 not SAT119). And I think 4-5 feet would do it. And since my dish is mounted on the side of my house (next to the roof but for added leak-proof-ness) I can't don't really want to use a TRI-Pod thingy.

2nd question what part would I extend? Do I not use the base mount and just use a TV antenna pole and bracket... how much would that mess up the calculations on where to point the dish if it would even work?

Any help would be more then welcome :)

Hi! My Dish 300 is on a 'stretched' mount. Had a friend weld a 2 foot extension to it so I could clear the roof. The dish is eave-mounted, and the 148 satellite is directly across the roof, so I needed a little more clearance.

I thought about manufacturing and selling these until I found that someone already does (sorry, I don't remember who). However, I think the longest version of it is still a lot less than 4-5 feet. I'm not sure a 4-5 foot extension would work - wind load vs. the strength of the pipe is my concern.

Of course, if you use some real heavy pipe or whatever, you can go as high as you need. The dish mount MUST be 'plumb' - that is, the end of the pipe that actually attaches to the reflector/LNB assembly must be (almost) perfectly vertical. As long as you do that, the azimuth and elevation calculations won't change. Even if they were a hair off, when you 'peak' the dish, it all comes out in the wash.

Before you go through all this effort, are you sure it's an obstruction that's hurting you? 110 & 119 are very close together - it's pretty unusual to get one without the other. I'm wondering if your aim is off and you're getting 110 on the 119 LNB - which would mean that the 110 LNB is pointing off into empty sapce (actually, close to a D* bird). Run a Check Switch and see which port the 110 is showing on. It should be on the 2nd one.

You can get a chain link fence post at Lowes that is the same diameter as your original mount. Cut it to the length that you desire with a hack saw.

dfergie said:
Use one of those with a tripod when we go tent camping, gotta have the dbs, either D* or E* :)

Thats... just... sad. There has to be 12-step program somewhere for that. :no

BTW, back on topic, I have a couple of 2 ft extensions. I use one of them on my 148 dish. They are made specifically for dish installations, as they are flared at one end to fit over the existing mast, with a set screw for a good lock. I have no idea who makes them, unfortunately. (The original installer left them behind.) You might want to contact a Dish/DirecTV retailer in your area.

Hey when we go in the big camper I have a 20" flat screen, take my 6000u and a replay and ruff it :) When we take the smaller camper I have a 27" phillips 4:3 hdtv, and take 6000u and flat screen. (have dvd players in both and a dolby 2.0 surround sys in the big one :) Have friends that live on a Ranch in the forest about a 1 and a half hour drive away...Camp is about a mile from headquarters :D next weekend=porterhouse's, shrimp and fries...btw SG1 might be on.

dfergie said:
ahh but then you can't see deer out your front door. Hey I bring that stuff It doesn't mean Im watchin :) I mean spongebob might be on. sometimes the dish is not even hooked up, but it's there if needed.
I don't have to go camping to see deer next to my TV. :)
They walk right up and look in the window next to the 60" widescreen. :yes