Need advice in setting up diplexer with my media server and sat signal

Podnah

Original poster
May 12, 2009
Colorado
This is my first post so bear with me as I try to describe my situation. I live in a newer home where the whole house is wired with coax and everything runs to a central HUB in the basement.

I have a dish network receiver(non-HD) with DVR that has 2 receivers in one. This is setup in my living room. Receiver 1 output is connected to the TV in the living room and the output for receiver two is fed back through the single coax run to the HUB and on to another room in the house. There is a diplexer in the basement and at the receiver in the living room (see the attached diagram).

I also have a DLINK-520 media server connected to the TV in the living room. There are component video outs and composite video outs on the media server that both function simutaneously. I currently have the component video running to the tv in the living room.

What I am trying to figure out is if there is a simple way to feed the signal for receiver 2 (already occuring) and the composite video from the media server back through the single run of coax to the HUB in the basement. And then feed the combined signal to the other room in my house where it can be separated and fed into the tv in the other part of the house.

Make sense?

I believe I need an RF Modulator (See Goal wiring diagram) to convert the composite signal from the media server into coax, but I get confused when trying to figure out how to combine that with the receiver 2 output back through the single run to the HUB in the basement and off to the other room.

I've been doing research on multi-switches and diplexers, but I don't quite understand what components I need to make this happen.

Let me know if I need to provide further clarification.

Any help is appreciated!

Attachments

• WiringDiagram.pdf
    23.8 KB · Views: 224
  • Goal-WiringDiagram.pdf
    30 KB · Views: 228
Last edited:
Yes, there is a way to do what you want to. First, make sure your diplexer is setup correctly according to what fchall described.

In order to achieve what you would like, you do need some type of RF modulator. I would recommend getting a triple channel UHF modulator where you can connect up to three video sources using composite A/V cables. This will allow you to assign the channels you want to use (14-69). What you would do is connect your media server to input 1, the TV2 composite (not RF) to input 2 and even a third source to input 3 (TV1, DVD, or whatever). Then you take the coax output from the UHF modulator and connect it to the VHF/UHF side of the diplexer and you're done! Now to view TV2 to in the other room, tune to the channel you programmed and when you what to view the media server tune to the second channel you programmed.

I have been using a UHF modulator in my system for a while now and it works great! Keep in mind it is only for SD though. I have a 625 DVR and have TV2 on ch.15, TV1 on ch. 35 and a digital converter on ch. 25. The output is connected to al tv's in the house and I can watch any input on all of them! I got additional remotes to control both tuners from each tv. Good luck!

Thanks for the info. I'll fix the diplexer in the basement and get the component you indicated. It sounds like exactly what I was looking to do. Thank you!

For a single modulator you can use a old VCR, output typically ch. 3 or 4, and just diplex it with a UHF output of some Dish Receivers. (Sorry usually HD for UHF.) If both sources are ch 3/4 and would cause interference with each other, then you will be better with a multi-modulator like above. Depends on your equipment and budget.
-Ken

I found the component online for what seemed like a pretty good deal. Here is a link to the component I chose:

Advantage 3-Channel Digital Modulator CATV/UHF

It was a little cheaper than the others I was finding in the $100-120 range. Works great. It was super easy to set up and has a LED screen to see what channel each input is set to. Comes with cables etc.

I was curious if anyone has any suggestions on particular channels to use? I understand that it is best to separate the inputs to channels that are at least 2-3 channels apart to prevent interference. Are the channels on the low or high end better/worse? What does adjusting the gain on the back of the modulator do exactly?

Thanks for all the help!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)