Need advice - # of co-ax from dish?

TominKY

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 29, 2004
I will be getting DISH installed on Monday. House has a finished basement, so routing new co-ax will be difficult. Currently, I only have 1 co-ax cable running into a closet where signal is split to various rooms throughout the house. I understand that for a dual-tuner reciever (322) you would need two co-ax cables from the dish to the receiver. However, it seems that I have read somewhere that they could be combined somehow.

Is it possible to get by on one cable, or will they have to make another run of co-ax from outside? If they have to make another run, do they normally charge extra for this?

This is actually a 4-room install, so there will be a second 322 upstairs. Assuming that they just run the co-ax through the wall into the upstairs receiver, is there an additional charge for this run?

Thanks,

Tom

Anybody?

They are coming out tomorrow to install, hoping someone on the forum tonight can give me a quick answer.

Thanks!

Tom

i am not an expert on installations, but if you are not a night owl, check back in the morning. we have a few that come on in the middle of the night who are pretty knowlegable.

thanks for joining satellite guys.

TominKY said:
I will be getting DISH installed on Monday. House has a finished basement, so routing new co-ax will be difficult. Currently, I only have 1 co-ax cable running into a closet where signal is split to various rooms throughout the house. I understand that for a dual-tuner reciever (322) you would need two co-ax cables from the dish to the receiver. However, it seems that I have read somewhere that they could be combined somehow.

Is it possible to get by on one cable, or will they have to make another run of co-ax from outside? If they have to make another run, do they normally charge extra for this?

This is actually a 4-room install, so there will be a second 322 upstairs. Assuming that they just run the co-ax through the wall into the upstairs receiver, is there an additional charge for this run?

Thanks,

Tom
A DPP can combine them (stacking them), but you are unlikely to get the to do it. The DPP equipment cost more.

Yes, Dish Network has now available the receivers and LNB Pro Plus. That means, you can combine the 322 or 522 receivers( two tuners) using only one cable from the LNB to the receiver. You better notice in advance to the dealer or Dish Network that you whan that kind of intallation because no everyone carry those LNBs( more expensive that the typical LNBs).
Good luck!

The standard install assumes there is NO existing wiring.

For a 322+322 job, the installer will expect to be doing at least two outside wall penetrations for the dual RG-6 feeds to the receivers, plus some way of backfeeding signal to the two 'remote' TVs.

He will also be hoping that there's some existing stuff he can use in order to save himself some time.

DishProPlus gear is NOT included, and last I heard, E* will NOT pay for it.

Now a question for you - Why not get a 522?

I was looking over the commission structure and it looks like they are reimbursing on the DPP stuff now unless I am mistaken. If three or more tuners are to be installed and DPP is not used it is easier, cheaper, and better to run three wires from the 105/121, 110, and 119 satellites from the lnbf's to underneath the house and distribute the wires under there. If a Dish500 is being used then a quad would be used which means the three or four wires would be run and the switch would be built into the lnbf. It depends on your local market as to which will be used.

If you don't need the receivers by the TV's for any particular reason, the installer could put both recievers in the closet, as long as there is a power source and a phone line or demarcation to tie into for a phone jack and then use the existinf cable lines to feed the TV's. Just another option though you would need a couple of extra UHF remoyes for both TV 1 outputs. May be a few extra dollars for the remotes but would be a much cleaner install. As far as a charge to run new lines. There should'nt be any as that is part of the install though I'm guessing all the lines would be run on the exterior of the house.

My installers are coming on Tuesday, and I had the same question. The customer service rep told me that only one run of cable will be necessary with the new Superdish to a dual tuner receiver (522). I didn't ask why though. Just to be safe, I called back 3 separate times and spoke with 3 separate reps each time asking about the *free* install. Each representative was sure that there is no additional cost to get whole setup operational from the onset despite what I've read on the E* website.

The reps better be right from E*. If they are pulling my leg to get me to be a customer, I'll switch to D* in a heartbeat. I'm only starting with E* because I don't have to buy the equipment, the free install and no commitment. I would have no problem switching based on false advertisement.

Otherwise, I am looking forward to Tuesday :D .

Joe

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)