Need advice on getting HD

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

pychiowa

Original poster
Aug 9, 2004
I've been SD DISH subscriber for a long time now (nearly 10 years) and it's time to upgrade to HD. So in looking at my options, my DISH option appears to be the 811 (did not want to jump into the 921 problems this early).

Anyway, the 811 goes for $399 (MSRP) but current subscribers can get it at $199 from their own dealer. My original dealer has folded up and vaporized into thin air and the other dealers in town cannot give me that deal. So I call up DISH CS to find out what they can do to help me get what a current subscriber should be able to get. The CSA consults his supervisor and comes back with $423, which is pretty much the full MSRP price plus shipping. That appears to be the best DISH can do, given all the pricing games they play. So why would I not want to jump ship to go back to D*??

At D*, I can get a receiver system for $260 at BB (I am not a new D* subscriber) and get 6 months free on their HD programming.

Try again, make sure to tell them you are considering switching to D* if they don't give you a good deal.

NightRyder

There is always the Dish n' it up promotion where you get an 811 for $5 a month. Really great if you want to add a receiver anyway since the $5 can be used as the additional outlet fee.

Or, You can always get the $199 by playing CSR roulette.

Or, You can email ceo@echostar.com and someone will call you back within 24 hours and they'll make you happy :yes

50 bucks

My brother in-law has had E for 8 years, After seeing my HD he wanted to upgrade. One phone cal to Dish and he got the 811 and an extra receiver AND they installed it all for $50.00 bucks. Play some hard ball, you will get it too.

I just got the 'Dish n it up' deal, and am very happy with it on my Mitsu WS-55857. The real value is if you get a good amount of local OTA HD channels. The promo requires you get the HD Pack for $9.99/mo for one year, and if you subscribe to Showtime or HBO, you will get an HD channel for each. So far, the HD programs are not the most interesting to me, (except the Olympics - Awesome) but when something is on that I'm interested in, it's a beautiful thing!

Plus, why buy when you know that there will always be something better with more features in no time.

My 811 upgrade tale(longish)

I had the same problem as you, local(in small town) dealer just quiting and the nearest dealer in Ann Arbor(A2) just 15 mins away.

So I call the A2 dealer give him my info he calls Dish for me, calls back tells me dish say no. So I call Dish says no, tell my dealer he says keep trying till someone says Yes. So, 4 calls later (you always get a different rep) I get a maybe. They take my details acc# etc. Tell them I want the A2 guy to install as he has the 811 in stock, they say maybe.

Call my A2 dealer tell him what's happening, in the meantime he's called with no luck.

This is last wednesday August 11, Friday the 13(go figure) there's banging on the front door 9.a.m so I get up (3hrs sleep) and low and behold there's the Dish guy with a new 811.

Where are you from I ask Wixom says he thats about a 75 minute Highway drive from here.

Cool thinks I (still Friday the 13) this guy is a complete Plank he has no knowledge of Home Theatre he cannot hook up anything that is not the absolute basic install.

Two damaged cables later(about 45 minutes) I tell him just get me a signal and authorize with Dish and I'll put it together myself, and then he asks me how to get back to Wixom.

It didn't cost anything for the upgrade my bill goes from $68.00 to $78.00 just the cost of the HD package.

So far the pq is very decent Hd channels look very good Packers/Seahawks on ESPN HD best picture I've Ever had on any TV I've ever owned. Hit57s500.

Still got to go the A2 dealer to get my off air antenna.

Sorry this is long winded, my first post I got all excited.

Tony

No problem, Tony and welcome aboard!

Your story is quite common. E* knows nothing about scheduling or logistics, and there's dang few decent installers out there.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)