need advice on laptops

hbk409

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Jan 12, 2005
LI,NY
well my wifes laptop had another issue with the power jack so best buy said since it is the 4th time in two years they will replace it with one thats currently available with the closest specs. this is the one she had Gateway Support - MX6960 Notebook Specifications

they first showed me this one, however its only a 14.1" screen the one she had was a 15.4". Gateway - Laptop with Intel® Pentium® Dual-Core Processor T3200 - T-6330u

one I questioned them on it they said if she wanted the same size screen she could get I believe it was this one Toshiba - Satellite Laptop with AMD Turion™ 64 X2 Dual-Core Mobile Technology TL-60 - A305D-S6848

which on would be better?

Two suggestions:
1. Avoid WinBook. Highest levels of customer dissatisfaction.
2. We've had good luck with Toshibas.

Well, OK, three: We've had nothing but trouble with our great looking Acer.

I have to say I have had great luck with my toshiba. It's a very old Toshiba Satellite, 650 MHz Celeron, maxed out at 320MB of RAM and currently has a 20GB Hard Drive in it. I has survived 3 Military deployments (6 months in Bosnia, 6 months in Iraq, then a full year in Iraq). After the second Iraq tour, the keyboard needed to be replaced due to the dust, but it has otherwise been a great laptop. I still use it for IM & web browsing while playing my MMOs. It's currently running Windows XP (with almost all of the services disabled) and still keeps chuggin along. Don't want to pitch it since it does still work, but I think it's a bout time to let it go.

we did get the toshiba and so far couple things i have noticed,

1) it runs much cooler then any notebook I have used in the past. I literally can have it on my lap for 3-4hrs and it just does not get hot, not even warm. I have had the gateway and also a compaq before that both of them ran hot.

2)For whatever reason my wife has bad luck with laptops, where the power plugs into the laptop goes bad. they usually have to resolider the plug inside the computer or have to replace the power pack because where it get plugged it gets damaged. On the toshiba it plugs into the side as opposed to the back so hopefully we will have better luck with this. and the 17" screen is just huge

For whatever reason my wife has bad luck with laptops, where the power plugs into the laptop goes bad. they usually have to resolider the plug inside the computer or have to replace the power pack because where it get plugged it gets damaged.

My wife has this exact same problem. I don't have any idea what she does to have this happen.

My wife has this exact same problem. I don't have any idea what she does to have this happen.

That's really strange because my soon to be ex-wife has killed power adapters on two laptops, and we have had to get the jack on one of the laptops re-soldered as well. (BTW, she has never touched, nor will she ever touch, my toshiba :)

Pulling the power cord out sideways puts a strain on the jack and can break it from the circuit board.

Next time you visit the Apple store, check out how the MacBook's work the power cord. You'll be impressed, and I'll be they won't be breaking them. The are designed to break away without any strain on the jack part at all. They are magnetic. :) Very cleaver design. So get them a Mac next time. :D

I have a Dell Vostro 1500 that I dropped today. I am pretty sure it broke my small toe on my left foot! I also sort of messed up the DVD drive too. I shoved it it back in, doesn't look exactly right, but it is working. I have been pleased with it so far.

I have a Dell Vostro 1500 that I dropped today. I am pretty sure it broke my small toe on my left foot! I also sort of messed up the DVD drive too. I shoved it it back in, doesn't look exactly right, but it is working. I have been pleased with it so far.

The Vostro series is built to be bricks...or better yet, tire chocks. They are definately a no frills, reliable computer ideal for the cost conscious business.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts