Need Advice on Purchasing TV

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

cjwct

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 2, 2006
Glastonbury, CT
I have been using a projector with a 105" screen, but am now moving into an apartment. As such, I am looking for a new TV. After some initial research it appears that the 65" LG OLED may be the best option, butI am concerned about the size considering what I have been watching TV on prior. Understandablly size is an individual preference, but is there any other type of TV I should consider that would be of a larger size and around the same price range? Thanks in advance!

You could get a short-throw projector if you have to have a wall-sized image.

OLED perhaps isn't all that for those who come from the projector world. Most projectors run bright where OLED is known for tons of shades of dark at the expense of the brightest brights. Depending on where you get your viewing material, blacks may not even be part of the programming.

What's your budget?

Reactions: osu1991
Alternatively, the TS can tell us what the expected viewing distance is going to be so we don't have them planted 6' away from an 82" TV.

Thanks for the quick reply . . . viewing distance will be about 12'. I am moving away from the projector simply because of not being able to hang a screen and such. Considering I am looking at the OLED I expected to spend $2-3k. How are the Samsung QLEDs in terms of picture quality and such? I will most likely have whichever set I choose professionally calibrated.

12 feet is pretty generous so you can probably go as large as you can afford. Just don't expect miracles with streamed HD content or highly compressed TV providers (like my Comcast that seems to grind out three HD channels per frequency).

A better TV may show all the flaws in (or its advanced processing may overcome) poor content.

Don't forget to subtract the cost of calibration from your budget as it will likely be a big chunk (15-20%?).

12 feet is pretty generous so you can probably go as large as you can afford. Just don't expect miracles with streamed HD content or highly compressed TV providers (like my Comcast that seems to grind out three HD channels per frequency)./QUOTE]

Thanks! I looked into the QLEDs but was confused by the various models; any advice?

You really need to go look at a set to decide. Try to find a higher quality dealer who can show the set to its best. However, if you are stuck with Best Buy, ask the salesman to let you play with the remote and go in and use the video mode to your advantage. This set should have a THX setting, which will be close. If not, try 'cinema' or some similar name. All TVs in the store are set to a 'vivid' (torch) mode by default so the POP next to the others. This setting has high brightness, contrast and color saturation. It pops in the store, but is tiring at home and nowhere near the best possible image.

I can't tell you if the Samsung is right for you. Nobody can but yourself. FWIW, I own a 2017 Samsung 9000 series 65" set, which is the direct ancestor, and I am quite happy with picture.

I'm going to be frank here, and many will disagree. Having an ISF calibration done will provide a picture that is strikingly better than you can achieve with the normal controls. However there is the matter that this sort of calibration costs a significant fraction of the price of the TV. You can achieve results that are much better than the factory presets with a calibration disc and a lot of patience. Is it as good? No, but all it costs is $40 for the disc and a few hours of your time. Not to mention that the ISF cal should be repeated every couple of years.

Reactions: osu1991
Can't argue with what jayn_j offers (especially since he repeated my calibration cost concern).

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. You could buy the "right" TV according to all the metrics and reviews, have it calibrated professionally and still not be happy with it.

Make sure you view the TV from all the necessary angles. Don't pay a lot extra for the superpowered smart features as the apps will age and you'll probably want to use an outboard streamer anyway.

Reactions: osu1991 and jayn_j
the LG OLED (series 8) are gorgeous and online pricing is as low as $2249 for a 65 incher.

To go bigger, you will have to look at LED where blacks are not as good and off access viewing is not near as good. LEDs will have less chance of burn in.

Regards

Gregg Loewen

Thanks again everyone for your support! I purchased the LG 65" OLED for several reasons such as picture quality, ease of the menu, and price. Thanks to Gregg Loewen for calibrating my prior devices and continous support. If you need a calibrator, there is no better guy! Unfortunately I am out of his area now, but he referref me to a calibrator who will be coming over at the end of August. I'll post the pre/post calibration report if I remember. Thanks again everyone!
image-20180705_151148.jpg
download_20180705_111811 (1).jpg
image-20180705_151237.jpg
image-20180705_151148.jpg
download_20180705_111811 (1).jpg

Good choice .... nice set ...

Personally, I would have went with the 65" Sony A1 or A8.
The A1 would have been in your price range, $3000 or under.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)