Need advice on upgrading Dish

dougb

Original poster
May 13, 2011
SW Colorado
Up to this point I have been going very cheap with Dish. I have a VIP222k receiver with TV1 connected to 1 TV, a Polaroid DVR, and an RCA sound sytem. I have the Smart Pack service with local channels. TV2 is connected to 5 other TV's in various rooms. Of course the DVR only works on the one TV - which is OK by me but it is a pain to program for recording. I would like to replace the DVR with a Dish product and I would like to be able to watch recorded and live programs on my Android tablet AND keep the connections to the 5 other TVs but not connected to the DVR. Before I call Dish and ask them what they recommend, can someone tell me what my options are for the lowest price? Otherwise I am confused about what I need in order to have those services I specified. When I call Dish, I don't want them to not cover all the options I have rather than just the option they want to sell me.

Thanks for any help!

I would pick up (2) 211k receivers add a hard drive to one and replace the Polaroid DVR. The second 211K would be connected to the current TV2 output on the 222 to service the other 5 TVs. The negative side is remotes are IR so you would need some type of IR to UHF distribution system. The WALLY could be used but it will be a harder learning curve for the CUI operating system.

I would pick up (2) 211k receivers add a hard drive to one and replace the Polaroid DVR. The second 211K would be connected to the current TV2 output on the 222 to service the other 5 TVs. The negative side is remotes are IR so you would need some type of IR to UHF distribution system. The WALLY could be used but it will be a harder learning curve for the CUI operating system.
I would embrace learning the CUI to have remotes that just work

Up to this point I have been going very cheap with Dish. I have a VIP222k receiver with TV1 connected to 1 TV, a Polaroid DVR, and an RCA sound sytem. I have the Smart Pack service with local channels. TV2 is connected to 5 other TV's in various rooms. Of course the DVR only works on the one TV - which is OK by me but it is a pain to program for recording. I would like to replace the DVR with a Dish product and I would like to be able to watch recorded and live programs on my Android tablet AND keep the connections to the 5 other TVs but not connected to the DVR. Before I call Dish and ask them what they recommend, can someone tell me what my options are for the lowest price? Otherwise I am confused about what I need in order to have those services I specified. When I call Dish, I don't want them to not cover all the options I have rather than just the option they want to sell me.

Thanks for any help!
Which TV2 output are you using now, coaxial or composite (yellow, red, white) cables? I bring this up because if you switch to a Wally, it does not have a coaxial output. You would need to get a modulator to convert the composite output to coaxial, if you are not already using a modulator.

Which TV2 output are you using now, coaxial or composite (yellow, red, white) cables? I bring this up because if you switch to a Wally, it does not have a coaxial output. You would need to get a modulator to convert the composite output to coaxial, if you are not already using a modulator.
For 5 TVs I would expect the TV2 RF output of the 222.

To cut costs you could use the existing 222K and only add one 211K for the DVR capability. That would maintain the UHF remote that the 222K already has.

To cut costs you could use the existing 222K and only add one 211K for the DVR capability. That would maintain the UHF remote that the 222K already has.
I would second that idea, but I would still recommend a Wally for the DVR functionality. That would be twice as many tuners for the same monthly cost, and you never know when that extra tuner may come in handy.

For 5 TVs I would expect the TV2 RF output of the 222.
The nice thing about the RF output is that it sends both TV1 and TV2 to the remote TV's. So, that gives more viewing options to watch something different on some of the TV's, by simply changing channels on the TV and using a UHF remote for TV1 instead of the TV2 remote. (Assuming that the 222 would no longer be used on the primary TV, after adding the second receiver (211 or Wally) for the DVR functionality.)

Reactions: dare2be and HipKat
Thanks for all the replies.

I would pick up (2) 211k receivers add a hard drive to one and replace the Polaroid DVR.

When you say add a hard drive - what does that mean? Any old remote hard drive that are used for computers? How do you control the HD? Is there an output on the 211k receiver specifically for a hard drive? I know nothing about this as you can tell!!

Which TV2 output are you using now, coaxial or composite (yellow, red, white) cables?

I'm using coaxial cable that I installed in the house when new.

I would second that idea, but I would still recommend a Wally for the DVR functionality. That would be twice as many tuners for the same monthly cost, and you never know when that extra tuner may come in handy.

That sounds interesting! Does that give me access to Dish Anywhere?

The nice thing about the RF output is that it sends both TV1 and TV2 to the remote TV's.

I did not know that. Thanks! That helps for other issues.

When you say add a hard drive - what does that mean? Any old remote hard drive that are used for computers? How do you control the HD? Is there an output on the 211k receiver specifically for a hard drive? I know nothing about this as you can tell!!
Basically the same type of hard drive that is used for computers, although there are certain restrictions you need to be aware of. The maximum hard drive size recognized by the receiver is 2TB. The minimum size varies based on receiver model. A Wally has a 500GB minimum, while other receivers will accept smaller ones. Just make sure the hard drive has its own power supply. It connects to the USB port on the receiver, but you should not rely on the USB port to supply power to the hard drive. The receiver will format the hard drive for use with the DVR functionality. Then, just call Dish to activate the DVR functionality (This will cost a one-time $40 fee. There is no monthly fee after that, and the one-time fee covers every 211 or Wally on the account.) and you can set timers through the program guide to record shows.

That sounds interesting! Does that give me access to Dish Anywhere?
A Wally would not provide access to Live TV or recordings through Dish Anywhere. For that, you would need a Hopper with a $15 per month DVR fee. There is a limited selection of channels available for live streaming directly through Dish Anywhere, regardless of which receiver model you have.

The 211K I believe has a 50 gig minimum so I used a 320 out of an old DVR with an accessory power supply for my first 211 DVR. I upgraded the 211K to a Wally and discovered the 500 minimum requirement so my original DVR couldn't be watched on the Wally. If you have looked at "Ebay" for receivers there is a 211Z and 211K out there, DISH eliminated too many 211K features to lower the cost of a 211Z.
Wally uses a CUI interface like the Hopper, drastically different from the 222. The 211K uses the same interface as the 222 so you can just sit down and enjoy without learning how to do things all over again. I've got (2) 211K's with 500 hard drives I use regularly and a Wally in the closet I gave up on using. One 211K is connected to a 50 inch HDTV and the second is connected to 5 TVs using the channel 3 SD output.

Thanks a lot for all the responses. In looking at all the issues, I have decided to keep my $30 per month Dish bill, my 5 TVs connected to TV2, and continue using my Polaroid DVR until it dies. Even with a 211k and a remote hard drive, the cost gets beyond the value I would get.

Thanks again.

Reactions: pattykay
Thanks a lot for all the responses. In looking at all the issues, I have decided to keep my $30 per month Dish bill, my 5 TVs connected to TV2, and continue using my Polaroid DVR until it dies. Even with a 211k and a remote hard drive, the cost gets beyond the value I would get.

Thanks again.
TRY THESE:
Go to EBAY
At the top of the screen where the colored Ebay letter is a box to search. Input each of these series of numbers:223181934143 then search, this is a 211k currently listed as a buy it now $32 and $11 ship.
number: 201140299786 this is an Orico power supply $19.54 free shipping
number: 382214192995 Hitachi 320GB 3.5" SATA hard drive $11.97 free shipping.

IS $74.51 cheap enough to upgrade your system? Yes you may need some incidentals like fittings and cables but I can't see what you have.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)