need advice...

RockinRight

SatelliteGuys Family
Nov 30, 2006
I'm looking into taking the satellite radio plunge. I've looked at both XM and Sirius, and it appears that while many feel XM has better sound quality, some prefer Sirius too. I've heard XM (have it with DirecTV) and felt the sound was FM quality or better, and I've heard Sirius and it sounded the same to me, so the reports of "near-AM level SQ" I've heard about Sirius seems unfounded at best and an out and out lie at worst.

The music station selection looks slightly better on Sirius, being that I am a MAJOR 80s hair band and heavy metal fan and they have Hair Nation. XM has the Boneyard but it seems to be somewhat inferior in selection to Hair Nation.
biggrin.gif

OK - so first off, here's what I like to listen to:

-talk radio (conservative)
-80s music of all kinds, pop, metal, rock, hair bands
-occasionally country and classical
-sports

I have a 2004 Mitsubishi Galant with the Infiniti system. Have no plans to replace that. Will I need an FM modulator or is there going to be a hook up on the stereo? I know that going through the owners manual and playing with the radio there appears to be no "aux" setting so I'm betting there is no way to hook it in directly.

I travel a lot and as a result would prefer to avoid the FM modulator route since as I drive into different areas my selected frequency may well be an OTA FM station and I'll have to change the frequency of the modulator while trying to drive...plus SQ will obviously be better with a direct connection.

Which ever service you choose, I recommend a direct connection from the satellite radio to the car radio. The new satellite radios are crippled compared to last year's models, thanks to the NAB and FCC. If your car radio does not have an aux input, you will need something like this:

http://www.tss-radio.com/sirius-wired-modulator-relay-p-118.html

Does this affect reception of FM stations at all? I listen to a lot of marginal stations and don't want to lose them.

I just got a sirius radio for my car, i had XM for the last 3 years...my wife still has in her car, she loves her XM. I wanted to give sirius a shot, so far i like it. I didnt do it for Stern, im a Ron and Fez fan, but Hair Nation is great, way better than the XM metal channel. I also like BBC Radio 1, its great to hear Chris Moyles in the morning. As for sound quality, i could not tell the difference, I am running it direct to my receiver via the AUX port. For the last two days, im happy with Sirius, i just have to get used to the channel numbers changing from XM, but other than that, go for it, you will never turn FM or AM on again!!!!!

What sports do you like? For MLB & NHL XM will be your best bet. NFL, NBA & NASCAR then Sirius would be best.

Just got my Sirius plug-and-play unit last night, plugged it in and plopped the antenna on the roof just to test it. Signal strength was at 100%.

Questions though:

-I had the FM transmitter set to an empty station to test it out, and it was a tad fuzzy as I moved the unit around the car, however when it was placed in the spot I plan to mountit it was fine. There's actually a "plug" that says FM transmitter, is there some sort of antenna I'm supposed to plug in there to better transmit the signal? I did notice that it couldn't even overpower many snowy weak stations on the dial though, I had to use 89.9 which in Akron, Ohio is about the only totally "white" frequency I could find. I think the direct connection is the best way to go though.

-Is there somewhere I can see a diagram of how to run the wire from the antenna on the roof, into the car, through the interior in the best way to conceal the wire as much as possible?

I just installed it tonight with NOTHING out the FM jack, and while the volume is lower than the terrestrial stations at the same volume level, it's totally listenable. I do plan to get the FM adapter this next weekend though.

I just installed it tonight with NOTHING out the FM jack, and while the volume is lower than the terrestrial stations at the same volume level, it's totally listenable. I do plan to get the FM adapter this next weekend though.

In the menu of my unit, you can adjust the audio output level. Does your have that? Maybe it is defaulted to 50% like all 4 of mine were.

odd it would be so low sounding. I have to throttle mine to about 75% to match . What is the make and model? Maybe they need some coaxing to ID the issue and have a firmware update?

God I hate those how to vids; the window mounts and suction apparatus are about the worst, ugliest, cheapest looking stuff. It almost appears that I would have no pride and in some areas anything like that on the window is a violation and asking for cop and insurance troubles.

odd it would be so low sounding. I have to throttle mine to about 75% to match . What is the make and model? Maybe they need some coaxing to ID the issue and have a firmware update?

I don't mind the suction cup mount, I really have nowhere else to mount it where it wouldn't block something else (CD, vent, clock, heat/AC controls, etc.)

It's a Streamer GT. I think the problem may just be a very weak FM signal. I don't even have anything plugged into the FM jack, it's just transmitting "bare" right now. The sound has some static, but normally very little. I think if I use an actual transmitter antenna or whatchamacall it it would work better, better yet one of those internal relay switch doohickeys.

Is there some sort of cheap FM transmitter that I can plug in to just amplify the signal of the modulator or better distribute it? I can't do the wired thing, I took apart the dash and there's not enough room to make it work and still plug in the actual FM antenna of the car.

In the menu of my unit, you can adjust the audio output level. Does your have that? Maybe it is defaulted to 50% like all 4 of mine were.

I just discovered today that the volume control on my unit doesn't change the volume at all. Very weird. I turn it all the way down or up and it's the same, the only thing I can change is the car stereo volume.

I just double checked 3 of my 4 units before replying just to make 110% sure I wasn't wrong; 1 is directly connected and 3 are FM; and even on the FM ones, the volume output adjustment of the Sirius still effects the level at the receiving radio. So maybe yous has a defect in that regard? I am not sure it is just a guess.

I used the FM transmitter for a while but the added noise was bothersome. Something to consider if possible for you is using the aux in if your radio supports it. I have a Starmate Replay and was still having problems with the output being too low. I turned off the FM mod since it was not longer needed and the radio volume almost doubled, huge difference. I know this is not your problem but just thought I would mention it.

And I too love 23 Hair Nation, probably my favorite channel.

I'm going to have to get an AUX input adapter for my wife's PT Cruiser. The S50 FM transmitter SUCKS!!

This is why I love my Sirius tuner. It plugs straight into the CD changer port of my Silverado's radio, and displays right on the radio.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts