Need coax and stereo

whtsnake

Original poster
Feb 4, 2004
I have a few questions. I recently had a Dish 500 system installed and noticed the signal to the TV was mono. Why does the out to TV cable not support stereo? Is that a limitation of coax cables? My TV has inputs for Ant A (UHF), ant B (Sat.), Input 1 (VCR), Input 2 (DVD), and Front (camcorder, etc). They’re all taken so I don’t have a spot for the composite or Svideo. Besides, the cable also loops to a bedroom and my new computer across the room. I don’t want to add a switch or run the signal through one of the other components. Any ideas?

Also, there is a short cable that was not used. It looks like any coax but has a red tag that says “for connection between satellite receiver and TV only”. Is this different in some way?

As far as I know you cannot get stereo from the coax, will need to get a switch box from radio shack or a like store and go from the s-video, or composite video from the sat box into the switch. Then put the vcr or one of the dvds into the switch and use the output wires from the switch to go into whatever input you removed (vcr or dvd)

Unfortunately, most COAX OUT connections from vcr's, etc are only mono.

I would HIGHLY RECOMMEND connecting this via an SVIDEO SWITCHER as described above. That will get you the best picture.

If you are determined to use the COAX IN on your tv, you could get a STEREO MODULATOR from radio shack like this:

http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog_name=CTLG&product_id=15-2525

or some other similar product. The key is that it is a STEREO MODULATOR. You would just connect a COMPOSITE OUT set (yellow, red, white) from the dish receiver. You could then split that output and connect them to your other television and PC.

I don't believe the DISH receivers pass on the MTS signal in the coax output. You TV would then decode the MTS signal to get the stereo. Just speculation on my part.

KyDave said:
Unfortunately, most COAX OUT connections from vcr's, etc are only mono.

I would HIGHLY RECOMMEND connecting this via an SVIDEO SWITCHER as described above. That will get you the best picture.

If you are determined to use the COAX IN on your tv, you could get a STEREO MODULATOR from radio shack like this:

http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog_name=CTLG&product_id=15-2525

or some other similar product. The key is that it is a STEREO MODULATOR. You would just connect a COMPOSITE OUT set (yellow, red, white) from the dish receiver. You could then split that output and connect them to your other television and PC.

I have this first one http://www.oselectronics.com/ose_p45.htm
I connected the DVD to the composite and the TV out from the Sat to the cable in jack. I got white distortion when the DVD was on, Sat on or off. I got Sat reception when the DVD was off. Evidently those two don't combine well. Will a UHF on the cable in work with the Sat on composite?

What you may have to do is get 2 RF modulators. The brand I have at home in my bedroom (sorry don't have name right now) will shut off the incoming RF signal when a signal is detected on the composite inputs. What you would do is connect them in series with the sat modulator first, then DVD, then to the TV. Then whenever you wanted to watch a DVD, just turn on your DVD player and it would automatically turn off the satellite signal to make room on channel 3 for the modulated DVD signal.

Or you could get to that pass thru everything and assign each device it's own channel (satellite on 3, dvd on 4 for instance)...

Or you could just get a multi-channel modulator...

Or you could get a manual switch like the one shown on the bottom of that page...

Or you could get a cheap receiver and have better sound and let it do the switching...

rf out of any satellite receiver does not have MTS stereo. Stereo is only available from L/R out. Your easiest way for your setup (per your description) is as follows.

(If you have a stereo VCR) is to connect Video L/R from sat to line in on VCR.
Line out of VCR to TV (input 1) with VCR tuned to "line in" you will get video/stereo to first TV.

my first thinking , you have a dvd and a vcr , i dont think you watch vcr more then your dish , my sugg is hook your dish instead of the vcr on input one i prefer dvd on input2 take that jumper coax) from tv and run it to vcr tv in ,you said you have one extra coax jumper good run it from vcr tv out to your tv antena then you will be able to record from dish to vcr and watch both on channel 3 , dish will be also on stereo on your input rca 1.

my first thinking :) , you have a dvd and a vcr , i dont think you watch vcr more then your dish , my sugg is hook your dish instead of the vcr on input one i prefer dvd on input2 take that jumper coax) from tv and run it to vcr tv in ,you said you have one extra coax jumper good run it from vcr tv out to your tv antena then you will be able to record from dish to vcr and watch both on channel 3 , dish will be also on stereo on your input rca 1. :yes just dont get confuse .

I noticed recently that Radio Shack is now offering a stereo RF modulator at a reasonable price - about $35. It's on the radioshack.com web site with catalog #15-2525. It has two sets of inputs, supports S-Video and outputs on channel 3 or 4.

retiredTech said:
rf out of any satellite receiver does not have MTS stereo. Stereo is only available from L/R out. Your easiest way for your setup (per your description) is as follows.

(If you have a stereo VCR) is to connect Video L/R from sat to line in on VCR.
Line out of VCR to TV (input 1) with VCR tuned to "line in" you will get video/stereo to first TV.

If I'm not mistaken, I believe the 322 and 522 both have stereo rf out.

DirkFunk said:
If I'm not mistaken, I believe the 322 and 522 both have stereo rf out.
Nope, your mistaken. The manual says for each output

"Channel 3–4
The CHANNEL 3–4 connection provides good quality video
and mono (non-stereo) audio to your nearby TV.

Ch 21–69 Out
The CH 21–69 OUT connection provides good quality video
and mono (non-stereo) audio for the remote TV(s)."