Need Dish 1000 Switch/Wiring advice

noremac

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 28, 2004
Wash, DC
I am about to replace my 811 with a 622, and want to know in advance how to "advise" the dish installer.

Here's my current dish setup: Dish 500 Twin Legacy + Dish 300 single LNB (61.5), connected via an SW-21 outdoors. There is ONE RG-6 coax that comes into the house from the SW-21 to a home-run panel. From that panel, I patch the one coax directly to the 811 location.

When I upgrade to the 622, I obviously want the dual tuner to work, but I only want to use the one RG-6 feed to the current 811 location. I may also want to keep the 811 and use it in a different house location, which can be patched from the home-run panel.

So what Dish 1000 configuration (switches) do I need to make this happen? I also think I want to keep the 61.5 dish active. I assume it will need a dual LNB at minimum. Do I need to press the Dish 1000 installer to give me a DPP44? Etc.

Thanks!

imho, id have him/her change out the twin legacy and put in the DPP, hook up and reaim the 300 to the 129 (cuz we already know about the 129 sig issues) this will allow you to still use a single line for the 622, and it will still give you a second line in to the "home-run panel"

I work for dish as an installer and run across this issue all the time. Its an easy solution to this problem, with the dish 1000 installed, you have one line that will come in to the 622. Once there you can use whats called diplexors to feed the backfed signal of tv2 to the house distribution center thus enabling you to tie into tv2. Plus keep this in mind, since the 622 is a dual tuner it will require a phone line to save you the extra 5 bucks for not having a phone line.

srs913 said:
...with the dish 1000 installed, you have one line that will come in to the 622. Once there you can use whats called diplexors to feed the backfed signal of tv2 to the house distribution center thus enabling you to tie into tv2.

Thanks. I think you are describing the RF modulated output of the 622. But that only works for SD/NTSC, right? I would only keep my 811 for another HD set.

bill93civic said:
imho, id have him/her change out the twin legacy and put in the DPP, hook up and reaim the 300 to the 129 (cuz we already know about the 129 sig issues) this will allow you to still use a single line for the 622, and it will still give you a second line in to the "home-run panel"

This sounds interesting! Excuse my ignorance, since I haven't installed these things since the legacy days!

How would the 300 connect to the new 500 w/DPP? Is there anything on 61.5 that isn't also available on 129? Then, I assume the 500 w/DPP has two outputs, right?

the 500 w/DPP has 1 input with 2 outputs. it would still be used to pick up the 110/119 sats, while the 300 would be reaimed to pick up the 129 sat where the mpeg4 HD is at. (unless ive been told wrong and you can still get the mpeg4 HD on the 61.5) and i might be wrong (someone else can chime in) but the 811 wont pick up the new mpeg4 HD. ive been told that the "old" HD receivers, when hooked to the new dishes and HD programming become SD recievers.

You're right Bill. Although, don't forget that the big D1000 pan can be used for either just 110/119 alone, or for 129 alone (put the LNB in the center slot) for even better signal. Actually, lots of combinations of the 3 available dish pans to get best signal from 110, 119, and either 61.5 or 129. Depends on location whether there's any concern.

AGAIN, would the newbies put their location into their profile!

Anyway, the big trick is the DPPlus-Twin that comes with the Dish1000. This magic box receives 110 & 119, plus any third bird. In addition it will drive two receivers (single or dual tuner) with one RG-6 per receiver. That means you can run BOTH the 622 and the 811 off of it.

Oh - and you can still diplex the 622 TV2 feed out to whereever you need it (if anywhere).

Thanks all!

According to the Dish Channel List, my local digitals (Wash DC) are carried on 61.5. So I guess that settles it? But a few detail questions:

Should I just keep the Dish 500 (110/119), replace its feed with a DPP Twin, and connect my 300 (61.5)? I assume I will need a dual feed on the 300.

Or should I plan on getting all four locations covered in case unique programming comes out on 129? That would require a Dish 1000 + 300, but what switch combo? DPP44?

need dish 1000 help

my 622 was just installed sunday by a dish empoyee installer who seemed to know what he was doing. i am in new hampshire. most of my programming is on 110/119. i thought the only stations that came in thru 61.5 now are cbs hd from nyc and arts showcase.

i had old legacy equipment-a dish 500 with a quad to see 110/119 and an old direct tv dish pointing at 61.5 because some locals used to be on 61.5. these were combined in an sw 21 switch and run run to an 811 and a 721. i used the 811 on my plasma and fed the 721 thru coax to every other room in the house. controlling the 721 with uhf remotes in other rooms. this worked out fine for two viewers in the house--till the 811 shot the bed.

when the dish man replaced the 622 i assumed he would put in an sw44. he said he would avoid using switches of any kind whenever he could. i also assumed he d put in a dish 1000. he said i don t need it for thse three birds and i cannot see any others anyway. he also said that the voom hd comes in on 61.5 so i still needed to see that bird.

so he installed another 500 dish to rplace the old direct tv rca dish at 61.5 and putin a dpp eye and put a dpp twin on the other dish 500. he ran a line from the 61.5 pointed dish to the other and one line each to the 721 and the 622 with a seperater at the receiver end for each.

i backfed tv2 from the 622 into the coax homerun and the 721 into a second coax homerun (i have a and b coax outlets in every room)

actually at the this point the 721 is totally redundant and i am just wasting 5 dollars a month to keep it alive until i view all my saved drive content.

everything works fine. i do not see any advantage to using a 1000 or having the dishman install a switch except i suppose i could have dish fund the installation of a second line into the 622 --which i really do not need. am i missing something here? anybody want to buy a good 721 ?

Last edited:
In my opinion, that installer should of aimed your second dish at the 129, all the mpeg 4 HD stations to be coming out will be on the 129. Plus dish is going to be doing away with the 61.5 sat due to the new dish 1000 plus dish that is going to be coming out very soon here.

All national HD including MPEG4 that's being added to 129 is also being put on 61.5. Also, the new "plus" dishes have nothing to do with 61.5, The plus means that they will pick up 118.75 in addition to 119/110/129. If you need HD locals because you cannot use an OTA antenna, then you might need to see the 129 sat.

The plus dishes are mainly for people needing internationals and they are huge, nearly as big as the superdish. The 1000.2 will be the new primary dish for HD with 61.5 added for those in the East that can't see 129.

Last edited:
Correct, you can point the 300 at either 129 or 61.5. If you need the Indy HD locals, it would have to be 129.

srs913 said:
In my opinion, that installer should of aimed your second dish at the 129, all the mpeg 4 HD stations to be coming out will be on the 129. Plus dish is going to be doing away with the 61.5 sat due to the new dish 1000 plus dish that is going to be coming out very soon here.
Hmm. Well, everyone is entitled to their opinion, but in this case, you are dead wrong. :(

You can NOT get 129 in New Hampshire. :cool:

The Dish1000 will not be installed in the NE by DNSC or anybody that knows what they're doing.

61.5 is going to be around for a long time, and as already posted, the D1000+ is NOT for HD itself. The "+" is for the 118.7 LNB which is almost certainly going to be LiL.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts