Need economical set up - Hopper 3 / 5 TV's

ltownsend

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 27, 2007
Coral Springs, FL
I currently have a Hopper 3 and 4 joeys. We use two tv's daily and - the other three only when we have guests. 1x a month grandchildren visit and use the other tv's - you know how kids are - in and out of rooms watching and playing. I want to have access but $7/mo for three tv's with very minimal use is a waste.
Any good solutions out there? Can I share between the three non-used when they come?
I can't believe I'm the only one out there with this situation ...

Return the 3 Joey's and use the grand kid's smartphones, tablets, or portable computers with Dish Anywhere. Buy some cables to watch smartphones, tablets or portable computers on TV.Another option is to connect the other 3 TVs to OTA antennas. I live in a small TV market and get about 20 OTA channels. I've seen some larger TV markets with more than 40 OTA channels. I don't have your grand children situation. However, I do have 3 other TVs that I use very rarely. I got a wireless Joey with 3 additional remotes and put remotes and HDMI cables at each of those TVs. It takes about a minute to re position the wireless Joey.

I believe only one instance of DA can be active at any time per account.

Wireless Joey is a good idea.

You can own Joeys and then can activate and deactivate at will, so you only pay for the service when the hoard descends.

No real "good" solutions for your scenario. There are folks with TV/receivers in laundry rooms, bathrooms, garages, etc .... and only (2) people in the house.

One option - not saying it's "good" or you'll like it - is to BUY your own Joeys. When you own them, you can activate them and deactivate them as needed. A Joey costs almost $100 new (maybe used ones would be feasible), so at $7/mo, it would take quite a while to justify the purchase cost of them.

Reactions: charlesrshell
I recently went and purchased at Best Buy two amazon fire tv sticks, that work for DISH anywhere and hooked them to two of my tvs that get less use. My son rarely watches anything on the satellite anymore so this works well for him. For my computer room I have one also and it is used also for Amazon Prime shows and Netflix too. This saves me $14.00 a month in fees that I used to pay for the two joeys. I now only have the $15.00dvr fee and the one $7.00 4k joey in the master bedroom ,which means I pay now $22.00 a month in fees. This has been pretty economical and it brought my bill down to around $85.00 a month. I have Flex pack + locals and the news pack and Hbo for $10.00 and Showtime for $5.00. The only thing is if I am using the amazon fire stick in the computer room and my boy wants to use it in his room , I have to let him watch his tv instead of me. But even then I have cable back up for my tv on the tuner that I split off of my cable internet connection.

Reactions: ltownsend
Here are my thoughts: of the three rarely used, one in living room with smart tv, second in guest room (non-smart tv) (boys use most) and one in work out room (non-smart tv). Living room - get wireless joey. Guest room use wireless joey when boys are here. Also work out room use wireless joey when in use. I also have an OTA antenna in workout room. So basically return three joeys - get one wireless joey to share among three tv's.

Thoughts??? Suggestions???

Here are my thoughts: of the three rarely used, one in living room with smart tv, second in guest room (non-smart tv) (boys use most) and one in work out room (non-smart tv). Living room - get wireless joey. Guest room use wireless joey when boys are here. Also work out room use wireless joey when in use. I also have an OTA antenna in workout room. So basically return three joeys - get one wireless joey to share among three tv's.

Thoughts??? Suggestions???
That would have been my suggestion, provided all 3 rooms aren't used simultaneously.

That would have been my suggestion, provided all 3 rooms aren't used simultaneously.

And even if they are, saying "you have to watch the same show... you'll live" isn't unreasonable either!

My money says if the bedroom TVs have "smart" options or streaming add-ons (Roku, Fire Stick, etc), these kids will be 100% content. Our 3 kids have TVs in their room and no Dish service. They are perfectly happy with this too.

I bought a 4 wayHDMI spliter and some 30' cables. I have one Joey hooked to the spliter and 3 TVs hooked to the spliter.Only 2 of us in the house so those 3 TVs watch the same channel.
On of those TVs is on my computer desk so I can watch DA on the computer if I need to watch a different channel.
One H3 one Joey 2 $22/month 2 happy customers.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts