Need FTA help from South Korea

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

hunterdave99

Original poster
Jun 1, 2008
Greetings from South Korea,
I am a US military member stationed in South Korea. I am interested in setting up a FTA system here for the following sats: KoreaSat 3 (116.0E), KoreaSat 5 (113.0E), and the Japanese bundle (BSAT 1A,2A, and N-Sat at 110.0E).
My plan is to install a 33" elliptical dish with multiple LNBFs and a switch.
I have a few questions about LNBF selection:

Koreasat 3 appears to have both linear and circular feeds with the circular being at 11862. Is there a single LNBF that will get all that or will I need two LNBFs for this one sat?

Koreasat 5 just appears to be a standard linear feed.

The Japanese bundle at 110 appears to be all circular ranging from 11727 to 12691. BSAT 2A also has high def feeds. What kind of LNBF will be needed for all that to include the HD programming.

I have not yet purchased any equipment, so any suggestions on receivers would be welcome as well.
I am not a total noob at this FTA stuff as I ran a fortec star system (purchased through sadoun and self installed) a few years ago in the states to receive Korean programming for my wife.
Thanks in advance for any help/suggestions
Dave

The only LNB that I'm aware of that does both linear and circular is the Invacom Qph-031. It's a little larger than other LNBs, but it should do what you need.

As far as HD from a linear sat, the real magic is in the receiver. The receiver needs to be able to play back high def as well as understand the modulation (QPSK vs. 8PSK). QPSK is used for both standard def and high def, but 8PSK is also used. QPSK is the more common and supported by all the HD receivers out there, 8PSK is often an addon module. Check lyngsat to see if the high def you're interested in is broadcast using QPSK or 8PSK.

I can't really recommend any receivers. I know the Sonicview SV-8000 and the Pansat 9200 both support HD and 8PSK (with an addon module), but don't take that as an endorsement for either.

KoreaSat 3 (116.0E),
Koreasat 3 appears to have both linear and circular feeds with the circular being at 11862.
Is there a single LNBF that will get all that or will I need two LNBFs for this one sat?
I believe you are correct about the circular and linear polarization.
edit: it was really confusing trying to follow lyngsat and those frequencies.
as for the QPH-031, I'll defer to Iceberg, below.

KoreaSat 5 (113.0E),
Koreasat 5 just appears to be a standard linear feed.
Lyngsat claims only 3 clear channels, but I cannot tell which three they are.
Good luck on that bird. ;)
You are probably better off consulting the locals to see what is available.

Japanese bundle (BSAT 1A,2A, and N-Sat at 110.0E).
Bsat 1A does not appear to offer any FTA DVB channels.

Bsat 2A does not appear to offer any FTA DVB channels.
The ones listed may be radio, or may be in-the-clear but to some other standard.

Nsat appears similar to Bsat 2A, above.
You never know how accurate Lyngsat info is, of course.

Additionally, all the Japanese satellites seem to have a hot signal into Japan, but I could not find signal levels for Korea.
Do the locals receive these signals there, and can they actually decode them?

My plan is to install a 33" elliptical dish with multiple LNBFs and a switch.
Without more info on Nsat, it would be difficult to guess.

However, there is little chance you would be able to get three LNBs mounted to a dish at three degrees separation.
You are attempting 110ºe, 113ºe, and 116ºe, and that's a little too tight for most regular LNBs, so far as I know.

BSAT 2A also has high def feeds. What kind of LNBF will be needed for all that to include the HD programming.
The question is more like "what receiver would I need?"
And from the USA, I just cannot guess.
There is about zero chance any receiver available in North America, would decode Japanese HiDef satellites...
Visiting your local satellite shops would get you better local knowledge.

Last edited:
The QPH031 wont work for what he wants to do for 2 reasons
-circular frequency on that is 12.2-12.95Ghz
-its a standard LNB and most of the rest of the world uses Universal.

By looking at those sats I think the 2nd part he's safe with. But most of the sats there use R & L polarity (circular) so he'll need a special one for that area

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)