Need Help 921 or 522

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

bdemz

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 8, 2004
For my 50" LCD HDTV what should I use? (note: needs to be wife and kid friendly)

522 or 921.

Trade offs:

921 - unstable, bad user interface
522 - No HD

Is the HD DVR worth the stability and user friendly-ness of the 522.

Thanks

Yes.

The 921 isn't as unstable as before, and the interface is (to some) actually nicer than the 522).

But the REAL decision point is simply the HD capability. It overrides all else.

I prefer the 921/721 type interface over all the other dish receivers.
If you have a HD TV then, like Simon sez, the question is almost moot. It should be the 921, hands down.
PS. The 921 almost works darn good now..
PSS. You could always get both.

Just concurring with everyone else.

921 is the obvious choice for DVR and HD.

The 921 is not as unstable as you might think. It used to lock up and reset itself for no apparent reason several times a day for me. I haven't seen that problem since the SW update that reboots the 921 nightly.

I would recommend it without any reservation.

Mark_AR said:
It used to lock up and reset itself for no apparent reason several times a day for me. I haven't seen that problem since the SW update that reboots the 921 nightly.
The 921 does this (reboots nightly)? If it's like the 522's automatic updates setting, I haven't found anywhere to enable or set it up.

P.S. Mark, at this time you're at 800 posts. :)

TuxCoder said:
The 921 does this (reboots nightly)? If it's like the 522's automatic updates setting, I haven't found anywhere to enable or set it up.

P.S. Mark, at this time you're at 800 posts. :)
It isn't something end-users can set-up/change, it was included in a software update L1.86 or L1.87. It will only reboot at night if the 921 is in standby and there are no event timers set to fire near the time of the reboot.

I didn't even notice 800 posts... Thx Tux! @party

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)