OTHER Need help adding a Zinwell 4 x4 switch

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Lee60

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 4, 2014
California
I have added dual output lnb's over time. Now I would like to add a third and maybe fourth receiver to the mix. Currently I am only using 2 receivers(Amiko HD's). I have drawn up a diagram of what I think I need to do. Can I run the coax from the ASC 1 output to the KU motor input and then to output 1 on the 4 x 4 switch as in my drawing? Is there a better way of doing this?

I currently split the coax right before the receiver with a diseqc 1x4 and then port 1 to the ASC 1 and port 2 goes to the Ku dish. This works good and fortunately I had a second coax all ready run plus the switch gets to stay inside. Now I would like to use this second coax to feed another receiver.

4x4  (2).jpg
Looking forward to your help before I start making changes

Good to hear! I saw this yesterday, but was too busy to give a proper reply.

It was fairly cool here in California yesterday so I figured I would give it a try. Replaced 2 coax connectors that had some outside corrosion just in case.
Spent the bulk of my time reprogramming the Receivers port and 22KHz settings. The only drawback now is being limited to the main receiver doing the moving of the dishes.
So now I have C and KU in 3 rooms. After confirming all was working I added a spare 1x4 to one of the slave receivers for a 1.2 meter aimed at 125.
Looks as if I'm good for now.............;)

Reactions: FTA4PA
I notice that you have the ASC1 and a KU-motor connected in series.

How did you arrange that only one motor moves, and not both motors, after a diseqc 1.2 command?

Just curious! :)

greetz,
A33

a33 it seems you are correct. I didn't catch that when I select a c band satellite on the main receiver that I was moving my KU dish too. How can I fix this?

I've read some while ago as a solution that for the 'empty' storage places of the motors, half of them were used for one motor (eg odd numbers), and the other half (eg even numbers) were used for the other motor.
For that you'd have to be able to asign the GotoNn-numbers in your receiver; not all receivers can.
So maybe that could be a solution for you.

Another way:
I don't know what a zinwell switches on: 0/22kHz, or diseqc?
But you could split off (using a DC-through tap or splitter) the 'motor signals' from the Rec1 -- zinwell line, and use a diseqc switch in that motor line, to switch between C and Ku-motors. I think the motor command would have to be given after the switch command though; don't know if that is standard practice. But I've never tested that.
Also that way the Ku-motor power would go through the switch, but most switches can handle the motor current nowadays.

But maybe there are other solutions, that others know off?

greetz,
A33

A33 thanks for your response. Your 1st option is a bit over my head. I'm running a Amiko HD and remember something about "GoTo". I've a SG 2100 and using USALS now.

#2- The Zinwell uses 22KHz to switch between Inputs(C and KU for me)

#3 Using a diseqc switch and 2 coax out to the dishes was how I was doing it before. This all started because I wanted to add a third receiver using the second inbound coax.
I thought of using a diseqc 1x4 again after the main receiver feeding the asc1 and KU motor on separate ports. If I'm not mistaken I still would have to use the ASC 1 out port (and a second coax) to one of the receiver ports on the 4x4 switch to switch between H and V . Same with the KU.
But this would require another coax run through the house to the 3rd receiver.

This is getting confusing :) Anyway I just went out and swapped some cables around and now the bedroom controls the KU dish
and the receiver with the ASC 1 takes care of the C band dish. Seems this is working fine just a bit inconvenient.

I would be happy to hear any and all alternatives. Just don't want to run another coax through the attic and under a sidewalk;)

p.s. I have on hand a 1x8 , 2- 1x4's and even a Amiko power passing splitter. Even a couple of combiners. I'm always changing stuff around:cool:

My OTA is completely separate with a powered splitter

To keep C and KU band motors movement separated but operated with one STB, program all C-band motor assignments to be DiSEqC 1.2 and KU-band to be USALS type.

Bypass the KU HH motor when programming the ASC1 C-band DiSEqC 1.2 positions. Once the DiSEqC 1.2 programming is complete, put the KU HH back in line.

The C-band dish and KU-band dishes will now move independent of each other.

A33 thanks for your response. Your 1st option is a bit over my head. I'm running a Amiko HD and remember something about "GoTo". I've a SG 2100 and using USALS now.
Well, a GotoNn command is issued automatically by your receiver, to position number Nn; the position number in the motor setup.
So this is what you are using all along, for C-band.

When you are using USALS (GotoX) for Ku, you can use diseqc 1.2 (GotoNn) for C-band.

But there is a problem I think.

AFAIK, the first 30 or so positionnumbers in a H-H motor are not empty, even after a reset.
So I would think those numbers cannot be used. (Or the H-H-motor would still rotate, with those commands.)

And when you have stored more diseqc 1.2 positions in your H-H-motor allready, you'd have to reset the motor to empty them (and reset the motor). Don't know if the Amiko has a motor reset command?

But maybe titanium knows better, I don't know, as he mentions no possible problems. He'll help you through it, I guess.

Greetz,
A33

Reactions: Lee60
Thank guys! I was unaware diseqc 1.2 and USALS could interfere with each other. So where to start?
Brian could you give me a step by step to get up and running? I assume the first step would be to write down the count numbers of my current sat positions and put the dish on my position one.
The KU motor is on another box currently . What is step 2?
If it's easier I can call your shop. Steps in print would be more fool proof for me. I appreciate any and all help you can give me.

My receiver is a Amiko HD RE and KU motor is a Digipower SG 2100.

There is no great hurry so let me know when ever it's convenient. Thank you in advance.

Not sure how to do a reset on the SG 2100. It's been years.
EDIT: I don't believe it. I found the manual for the SG 2100. Now I know how to reset it
EDIT: I was using USALS for the KU but then it was set up before the ASC 1 came along.

Last edited:
So I've had a bit to think this over.
Titanium - Brian , do I start from scratch?
Is a Receiver reset needed?
If I have this right, reset ASC 1?
With ku motor out of the loop reprogram c satellite positions( Diseqc 1.2 ) to ASC 1
When done add KU motor back into the loop( with motor at "0". Do I do a reset?)
Will this now work wired as in my original drawing?

Thanks for your assistance

Lee

Have no clue if a SG2100 has factory preprogrammed DiSEqC 1.2 positions. In my experience preprogrammed DiSEqC 1.2 motor settings are referenced to 0 and have no movement unless programmed. Maybe the SG3100 manual would indicate if any motor positions are repopulated. If so, A33 makes a good suggestion to program the C-band DiSEqC 1.2 positions in the ASC1 50-99.

I would start by performing a factory reset on the SG2100 then bypass the SG2100 (no loop-through).

Program the STB and ASC1 for the C-band satellites using DiSEqC 1.2 motor type (if necessary - see above comments, use positions 50-99).

Put the SG2100 back inline and activate USALS in the STB for KU-band satellites.

That is all.

Reactions: Lee60 and a33
Just finished up. I did as advised except my Amiko only has 60 total Diseqc 1.2 positions available. So I started at 45 and ended at 59. I then did a reset on the KU motor and wired back in the loop. So now I have C(asc1) and KU controlled on one receiver.. No conflicts that I can tell.

Titanium and a33 I can't thank you enough.

Reactions: Titanium and a33

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)