?? HR20 & H21 Receivers + Zinwell Switch - MRV & On Demand Upgrade coming 1/19...Info needed!!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Larry

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Sep 13, 2003
Southern California
I couldn't locate enough info with search...so here's my setup info and related questions. Tech visit is scheduled for 1/19.

Equipment: 3 HR20-700 DVRs and 1 H21 receiver connected to a Zinwell WB68 switch (4 inputs used from the dish with 8 outputs). 2 DVRs are in the living room near a live network connection. The other DVR and the HD receiver are located in separate rooms.

Now here come the questions...
1. The CSR stated that changing out one DVR is all I would need for MRV. According to him, I would be able to use my remaining old equipment to record/watch and in other words fully enjoy the benefits of MRV. Was the CSR giving me the right information? (I've been away from DirecTV for a while...but something just doesn't seem right to me.)
2. If I did receive incorrect information from the CSR, what equipment will I need to make MRV work?
3. He also sold me a cinema connection kit, which is supposed to be installed by the tech on 1/19. Will this work with my setup...and allow on demand viewing on all my receivers?

I hate to be so skeptical, but this isn't exactly my first rodeo with DirecTV (or Dishnet) CSRs. Sometimes they're right...sometimes not, but I don't want to have the tech show up and say it can't be done with the equipment that I have.

I'd like to get it right the first time and I know that someone here will be able to help...please!

Yeah CSR is WAY off.

First you will need a SWM set up.
No big deal as all that requires is changing out the LNB, removing the multiswitch and replacing it with a swm splitter, and putting a power inserter in line.

That is the easier part.

Now, he will have to ad DECA's behind each receiver using a power passing splitter on the HR20's

Reset each receiver to read SWM.
Possibly force downloads for receivers to gain MRV software
And most likely spend extended time on the phone with multiple CSR's to get MRV on your account work properly. (Not as bad as it used tobe lol)

As far as the broad band connection goes, this part unless it has been changed again should be free.
As far as having to swap a receiver, not needed at all with your equipment but if it is free, then get updated.

Rest assured, you work order will most likely be all screwed up and the tech will have to waste more time getting it straightened out.

Keep in mind techs are not hourly and this is an extremely low paying yet probably time consuming job.
Basically, he won't want to be there.
So, if he does the work, does it well, and is friendly this is a case where you should take of him and take care of him well.

thanks kjlued.

one thing i failed to mention...isn't there always? i have a fifth receiver active (an h20) on my account, but currently not in service. when i decide to put it back in service, will that make any difference in the swm setup...and how will i get the fifth feed operational? isn't there a limit of 4 receivers off a swm lnb?

a SWM switch is what you'll have. The 6x8 is an option or the other is a 8 way splitter. Thats what I have (the 8 way splitter)
one line from LNB to power inserter then to spliter

pros: one line from dish to splitter and one line from splitter to DVR's
cons: even though only one line is needed it "takes up" 2 spots on the splitter.

So right now I have 2 DVR's and a H23...there are 3 inputs used on the splitter but in reality its 5 (as DVR takes 2 spots) so in your setup a 6x8 switch or a 8 way splitter would work
3 DVR's....6 inputs
2 HD units...2

No, there is a limit of 8 tuners without using a SWM multiswitch or SWM expander.
With one of these, a nonSWM LNB will used and all the SWM stuff will happen in the multiswitch/expander.

DVR's are 2 tuners each
NonDVR's 1 tuner each.

So, 3 HD/DVR's and 2 HD receivers will work.

BTW, one more thing.

If all you can get is a regular SWM setup limiting you to 8 tuners, you can also switch a DVR to single tuner mode allowing you to ad even yet another receiver.
Of course this will prevent you from being able to record 2 different things on that DVR but with that many DVR's, I am sure you can spare a tuner in 1 room. LOL

So, yes you could have up to 8 DVR's just as long as they were all in single tuner mode.

Whats a SWM? Whats a DECCA?. I have almost the same set-up as the OP 3-HR 20-700's and a old RCA in the Mother-in-law suite.
So If I want MVR I have to have D* come switch over my Dish LNB and my Multi-Switch?
Also is it possible to Defrag the HD's in the HR20-700's? My 2 old HR20's seem to be slowing down in the last year.

DECCA used to be a record company. ;) DECA is DIRECTV's version of MoCA. Google can be your friend if you let it.
So If I want MVR I have to have D* come switch over my Dish LNB and my Multi-Switch?
Unless your receivers are already networked, calling DIRECTV out is the easiest way.
Also is it possible to Defrag the HD's in the HR20-700's? My 2 old HR20's seem to be slowing down in the last year.
No.

With 3 HR20's and an old RCA then you definitely do not have SWM as the RCA is not compatible.

A few ways to get MRV

1) Call direct TV and they will come out and change the LNB on the dish, change the multiswitch out to a swm splitter, add DECA's to each of the HR20's, add a power supply and change out the RCA to a D12 (unless you pay extra for another HD or HD/DVR). I would also ask for the broad band kit as it is free. Last I heard this cost would be $199 for the conversion (+$99 if you upgrade the standard to HD, +$199 if you upgrade it to an HD/DVR).

2) Buy the stuff on Ebay and do it yourself.
You will need a SWM 3 or 5 LNB (depending on market and programming) and SWM 8 way splitter, SWM power inserter (all green label)
3 DECA's and 3 power passing splitters (for behind the HR20's) along with 6 small jumpers to connect it all.
1 D12 (or upgrade) to replace the RCA
1 broad band DECA (optional)
(I think that covers it all but by the time you buy everything you will save very little)

3) Run CAT5 to each receiver and call direct TV and set it unsupported (instructions are somewhere in this forum).

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts