Need Help and advice for Building an HDTV antenna

Buzzdar

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 5, 2006
USA
I have posted this in the HD OTA Forum but i have not gotten one response. So i am gonna post it here since i am wanting to make something that works with my Dish 622. Any help or advice will be greatly appreciated.

YouTube - Coat Hanger HDTV Antenna!

Above is a link to show what hdtv antenna i have build it works great. in picking up certain station. now i guess my question is can i make 2 or 3 of these antenna's and some how connect them all together to get even better reception from all different directions.?

what would i need to do to get this to work?

http://www.satelliteguys.us/hd-over-air-ota/123068-need-help-advice-building-hdtv-antenna.html

I have posted this in the HD OTA Forum but i have not gotten one response. So i am gonna post it here since i am wanting to make something that works with my Dish 622. Any help or advice will be greatly appreciated.

Above is a link to show what hdtv antenna i have build it works great. in picking up certain station. now i guess my question is can i make 2 or 3 of these antenna's and some how connect them all together to get even better reception from all different directions.?

http://www.satelliteguys.us/hd-over-air-ota/123068-need-help-advice-building-hdtv-antenna.html

Here is a more detailed thread that addresses what you want to do. BTW, I built the DB4 version with a solid back and was not that impressed. Perhaps the mesh versions work better. I just retired it today as a matter of fact.

DIY HDTV antenna - Lumenlab

Last edited:
I live in the Orlando area 60 to 65 miles from the main channel towers. Built the coat hanger antenna. I placed it outside ran a cable through an existing cable connection on the lanai. It works connected to my VIP 211! It is very directional so I am making another to add on. Hopefully this will help with the directional issue.

Combining antennas often actually reduces the effectiveness of all the antennas due to antennas being out of phase.

You are better off with one antenna, if it is UHF one antenna properly tuned will pick up channels 14-51 easily.

c'mon.... I bought my CM4228, 8-bay for less than $65.
Yes I built one first just like you guys are doing, out of 12 gauge copper wire and wood and some wire shelving racks and it worked AMAZINGLY well. But these things are ugly. Ok so mine was kinda ugly on purpose so my wife would agree to me BUYING an outdoor antenna. :)

But geeesh.... $65 and stop wasting time. Go for it.

Combining antennas often actually reduces the effectiveness of all the antennas due to antennas being out of phase.
If that happens it usually means you have to reverse the connections on one of the antennas.

Also you need to make sure they on on the same mast. If they are separated horizontally by more than few inches you can have phase problems but this won't happen of they are on the same mast.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)