Need help deciding on a 6x16 multiswitch please!!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

ckjackson

Original poster
Jul 30, 2007
Hey there....Newbie here in dire need of expert advice. I have tried ask.com, google, AVS Forum and cannot get anything decisive so why did i waste so much time without seeing the light and coming to the experts here? For shame I say but now I'm here.

I need to buy a 6x16 multiswitch to use for my existing DirectV service. The reason is after finishing my basement i will have a total of 4 DVRs in the house and of course want a switch that can handle at least 16 coax ins. I have researched a bit and have seen the following: Terk MSWB616, Zinwell WB 616, and seen some Spaun ones at solidsignal.com.

When I first had the installer over replacing me with the new MPEG 4 dish and some HD DVR and HD sat boxes, he said that Dtv doesn't have 6x16 multiswitches(only 8 output ones and two cannot be combined due to new MPEG 4 signal, but he could put two 8 outs to 2 dishes but i didn't want two on the roof).

He said they couldn't so i jumped online and found a Zinwell and a Terk for like $300 and $500...oddly he took one look at the labels and commented on the color citing the purple Zinwell wouldn't be good because he said those colors don't work to well......don't ask me, he said it. So I showed him the Terk and he saw yellow and wasn't into it but saw the Terk WB616 and it had a white label and he said "Get that one".....again, don't ask me but he obviously wasn't color blind but maybe a label bigot. :O

So now the white labeled Terk MSWB616 is at Amazon for $199 with free 2day shipping while the Zinwell (ominous purple label mind you :) ) I have seen for around $125.

Experts, what should I do? I can't find any comparisons of the two online for example as on CNET or anywhere. Any ideas? Thanks,

CKJ

I personally would go with the Zinwell as the current WB68 is also made by them, that would be enough for me.
the Zinwell switch is supported by D*, I don't know if any others are officially.
So that would be the Zinwell 616 multiswitch

Jimbo

ckjackson

you can use 2 6 x 8 switches, the tech mustve been new or was not properly trained. i have attached a pdf file that i use with all the new techs that i have to train. i hope that this will save you some money in the long run, not that the 6 x 16 wont help you and probally make it easier.....but 2 is possible...

Attachments

• 16 way split for AT9.pdf
    620.9 KB · Views: 411
Either get the Zinwell WB616 or the Spaun WBS41602NF. I installed the Spaun at my parent's house, has worked fine with 13 outputs being used. I went with Spaun, since I was replacing a Spaun multiswitch with the old 3 LNB. Zinwell is good, especially if you are going to use any of the wing satellites, since it has inputs for them.

Pardon my ignorance but what the heck is a "wing satellite"? My situation is I have the installer coming over on the 13th of Aug with a free HD DVR and I need more inputs than my current 8 outs. So the Terk which is most expensive isn't worthy even though it says the its Directv compatible....and that label color thing is pure BS? Thanks

AHH gotcha...thanks. Yeah I don't need Directv Para Todos but its interesting it carries that.

Hey Iceberg, your pic looks like a huge decisionmaker....which 6x16 multiswitch would you buy? or is there one with 16+ outputs?

really? i know Terk gets guff for their cheap OTAs but my installer was set on it for me to buy off Amazon.....and color of labels has nothing to do with durability or performance? Are all the Zinwell 6x16s the same purple label or does this differ pure manufacturer's batch and reseller? Just curious as i was obviously given bunk news. Thanks in advance.

You can't use OTA with a 6X8 or 6X16. All seperate runs for ota.

Before somebody says SWM switch it's still doesn't have a timetable for release.

ckjackson

you can use 2 6 x 8 switches, the tech mustve been new or was not properly trained. i have attached a pdf file that i use with all the new techs that i have to train. i hope that this will save you some money in the long run, not that the 6 x 16 wont help you and probally make it easier.....but 2 is possible...

Do they have to be 2 switches that are qualified for the new MPEG 4 frequencies? Just curious cause when they installed my upgraded MPEG 4 dish and gave me new HD boxes and HD DVR boxes they put in a new 4x8 box and ran the power for it off my old 4x8 box that was installed 3 years ago by them? So for the new HD DVR appointment i would need them to bring a new 6x8 MPEG 4 switch and four of those splitters? Do they carry that stuff on the truck or at least the splitters or is there a place i should go an buy them. Me thinks just getting the 6x16 zinwell online would be easier then hoping the guy has all this in his truck and will understand your directions on how to install. Ideas?? Thanks,

The 4 x 8 multiswitches won't work with Ka-band. I believe that Directv installs 2 WB68 switches with splitters instead of a WB616 mainly because of cost (it's supposedly cheaper for them that way). You can cascade a 4x8 off the newer switch if it only feeds older receivers. Since the WB616 is powered, that might work better if the runs are long, although you might not get reimbursed for the cost.

The 4 x 8 multiswitches won't work with Ka-band. I believe that Directv installs 2 WB68 switches with splitters instead of a WB616 mainly because of cost (it's supposedly cheaper for them that way). You can cascade a 4x8 off the newer switch if it only feeds older receivers. Since the WB616 is powered, that might work better if the runs are long, although you might not get reimbursed for the cost.

Ok, just looked at my setup again and am perplexed. He disconnected my old Zinwell 4x8 but its still plugged in and powered up with maybe the OTA in the attic attached and an out going to the hub of the house sat in. When he brought the new Zinwell WB6x8 i have the 4 lines coming in from the MPEG4 dish(that were going into the old 4x8) and then 8 outs and 4 of those outs connect to the basement boxes(1 HD DVR 20, 2 HD 10, and one old sony purchased old school digital box from 2000) 4 upstairs(1 HD DVR 10-250 and 1 non HD DVR in the bedroom) so the multiswitch is full. The odd thing is my HD DVR 10-250 MPEG2 still gets the OTA HD channels, the digital locals but not the HD locals except for the old package that for some reason is still active on that box of FOX HD on ch 88 and NBC HD on Ch 82. So are you saying that I shouldn't be getting OTA at all and perhaps I am somehow thru my home hub that connects to the old zinwell which activates all multimedia taps in the house for the 3rd coax receptacle on them?

When will my current HD 10-250 not allow me to see HD locals like ch 88 and ch 82(for some reason ABC and CBS never were active)? or am i just lucky to have those grandfathered on my access card at all since the installer in Feb was shocked I had them?

And the existing old school purchased sony digital boxes and my non hd dvr still get digital locals and this MPEG4 change only affect HD locals, not digital locals?

So the WB6x8 isn't powered but the WB6x16 is?

Should I call the installer company for my 8/13 appt and have them make sure they have a WB6x8 and those 4 KA band splitters on the truck so he can do it that way to save me from buying a WB6x16 or will they always have that stuff on the truck?

Thank you all in advance. You are real lifesavers for learning me some satellite system. LOL

Only the H20 and HR20 can get the MPEG4 HD locals and RSNs. The channels in the 80s are MPEG2 networks from L.A. and N.Y.C. If you live in one of those places, you will get them as locals, but those in other areas who qualify for waivers can get them also (normally either LA or NYC, not both). The MPEG2 HD (80s) will probably go away eventually, as will the other MPEG2 HD (ESPN, HDnet, etc.) but until they do you will probably continue to receive them. Directv occasionally will audit the waivers to see if people still qualify and may discontinue them if necessary to meet legal requirements. You should call Directv to make sure that the WB68 and splitters are on the order.

I don't know why you still get OTA, unless the installer added a diplexer on the line between the WB68 and the receiver.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)