Need help diagnosing odd transponder problem

JDS

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
May 6, 2004
It's an "odd" problem because we're only getting the "odds". I've tried different combinations of things to try to eliminate problems. I've looked here and can't find the same problem.

We have a 508 receiver upstairs, hooked to a Superdish with locals. We think it's doing ok, but occasionally when turning channels, it turns black, and we may have to change the channel up and down (or even turn it off then back on) to get it to work. I don't know if this is a related problem to the other receiver, but thought I'd mention it.

But downstairs we have a 2800 (it's old but the Superdish literature said it would work, and it has 105 sat listed on its screen). It doesn't get all the channels. Doing check switch only said odd transponders on 119, and none on the other satellites, no switch detected. It gets a 100+ green signal bar on 119, though. This is hooked into the same DP34 switch as the upstairs receiver. We bought brand new RG6 burial wire, with weatherproof connectors already attached, and hooked it up directly (bypassing the wire that's inside the wall) and it still gives only odd on 119. We hooked it to a different port on the DP34, same results. We switched the wire, hooking the wire that goes upstairs (from the working receiver) into the 2800, still odd 119.

We even hooked up our old 4000 (that Dish disabled, no programming), knowing that it can't get 105, but it does the SAME thing, only gets odd 119 transponders.

I had called dish tech support a while back, and she told me to try taking the cable loose, run check switch, then reconnect cable and check switch again. It didn't work. She said the "odd only" transponders meant there was a problem with the cable. Then we were disconnected when our power went off.

I would think we had a problem with the receiver, but it yields the same results with the model 4000.

BTW, we had another DP34 switch (Microyal) that didn't work long, then it wouldn't pick up 110. We got a new DP34 and it works fine. We tore apart the other one, curious what that rattling sound was and found a place where it'd been burned (lightning?) and one of the components was completely loose from the board.

Anything else to try? We haven't called our satellite installer yet, but we'll do that if we can't figure it out, with your help.

Thanks in advance! JDS

You don't mention having DishPro adapters on your old-style (4-digit) receivers.

DishPro stacks the even transponders above the odds - and leaves them there. Legacy receivers can't see the high band, so they only see the odds.

As for the 508, run Check Switch and make sure it's good there. Wouldn't hurt to repeat that process while moving it's feed cable to each output of the DP34 - just to make sure the switch itself is good.

No, we don't have any Dish Pro adapters.... this is why we thought we didn't need them. In the Installation Instructions for the Super Dish... it says:

"While all DISH Network satellite receivers can be connected to any SuperDISH antenna to receive 110W/119W programming, only the following models will support receiving and displaying programming from the 105W or 121W satellite locations:

* All DISH Pro and DISH Pro Plus receiver models which can be identified by the logos shown below. (pictured)
* The following Legacy receiver models which do not have the above logos: 2700, 2800, 3700, 3800, 3900, 4700, 4900, and 6000."

Is this info in the instructions wrong? :eek: May it never be!

So I guess we can disconnect the 508 (it's a little hard to get to, that's why we haven't tried that yet) and take it downstairs and hook it to that cable, and if it works, we know that both the old receivers don't work?

Thanks, Simple Simon, your advice has helped us quite a few times in understanding what's going on.

Well that is talking about who can see 121/105 and recieve signal from them. You still need a DishPro adapter or they are only going to see the odd transponders on the first satellite hooked up to the DP34 switch.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)