Need help finding 110 satellite

Byron56

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 7, 2004
Using a DISH 508 connected to a dish 500 pro. DISH says to set Skew @ 124, Elevation @ 23, Azimuth to 250 for my zip code 03595. I can find 119 with no problem - the signal strength is 105 out or 125. But I cannot find the 110 satellite.

Right now on the point dish screen when I change the satellite to 110 I am picking up the 119 satellite and have the message Wrong Sat - EchoStar 119 West.

When I run a check switch it tells me:

LNBs: DP-Twin-1

Input 1 2
Satellite 119 Conn
Polarity all x
Device twin twin

When I try pointing the dish I bring the receiver and a small tv with me next to the dish so I can see/hear the signal.

I plumbed the mast with a bubble level before mounting and pointing the dish.

From what I recall reading the 110 satallite is to the east and a little higher. Am I correct that when standing behind the dish I should try pointing it slightly to the left (say 245 degrees) and a little higher in order to find 110?

Any other suggestions?

Take a piece of tin foil cover the 110 lnb. Repoint dish if you lose 119, you maybe are picking up 119 on the 110 lnb. Covering the 110 lnb will make sure the 119 lnb picks up 119. The 110 lnb is on the right when standing behind the dish. Once locked on 119 remove the tin foil and 110 should be there with no or little adjustment.
luck

When I cover the 110 lnb (the one on the right when standing behind the dish) I do not have any impact to the signal strength. when I cover the lnb on the left, the 119, I loose the signal all together.

Yes to the switch check - several times - even powered of the recieved and unplugged it before trying to find 110 after 119 was tuned.

Although the 110 is on the right, the signal is coming from a slightly higher elevation and farther east. the satellites are basically lined up in orbit from east to west, lesser to higher. so the signals are actually coming down in a criss-cross fashion(as compared to the LNB sat locations on the dish). This is a stupid question, but I gotta ask it..do you have any trees in the way? The way the dish is designed, if you have the settings right, and your mast is plumb (on both sides) with nothing obstructing your lOs, having the 119 should allow you to have the 110. the check switch should line up as

119 then 110(left to right). If everything is as it should be and you have nothing blocking the signal, you could have a bad LNB.

try a different port on the lnb, or a new lnb if you have it.

The settings you gave are correct for Twin Mountain, NH. However, it looks like you may be at the bottom of the mountains and on the north side. Hopefully pointing towards the WSW (250), you are missing the trees and the mountains with that elevation (23).

You don't normally peak on a spotbeam, but you may want to try peaking again as yooper.mi said, but for Sat 110, try TP 23, and/or 26. They broadcast a couple of local markets around NH.

Assuming you have complete line of sight, and both sides of the Twin LNBF are functioning, I would go ahead and peak 119, then cover 119, set the Point Dish screen to Sat 110, TP 23, and try adjusting the elevation a little up, and a little down. If you don't find it, return it to the spot you had 119. Then Try adjusting it slightly east and slightly west.

Slightly = between 1/32 and 1/16 of an inch. Maybe less.

NOTES: You shouldn't have to try adjusting the skew, it should work.
If you are unable to get 110, you can try to get 119 on the 110 LNBF to make sure it works, or maybe borrow a LNBF from someone to test.

Last edited:
I manged to get it working on both satellites! A high branch over head apparantly was blocking the signal - moved it a few feet and I now get a very strong signal.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts