Need Help From Satellite Gods

keadan_usa

Original poster
Jun 6, 2010
KY
Well last week I had Dish Network installed. While the tech was here, we got to talking outside while he was installing the Dish. I mentioned that I was interested in purchasing the Arabic channels package. He said it is $50 a month. That was too much for me, and then he mentions that it is actually easy to get them for free. All that I need to buy is a part to attach to my satellite and then I can get the channels. He said he couldnt say much about it because if Dish knew he was telling people that he would get fired. He said it is perfectly legal, and all I could understand is that I need a 118.6 orbital.

So, my question is, is there such a part which will give me these arabic channels for free? If so, where do I get it and what exactly do I get? Is what he told me true? Will it be difficult for me to install?

Please give me as detailed a description as possible if it is true. Hopefully he isn't just a big liar.
Thanks

There is a satellite that Dish has put the international channels on (118.7W) that requires a specific dish setup

If you wanted int'l channels you should have ordered them with the install because the dish installed would have been the right one. Now they have to come out to switch the dish setup and you may be charged

There are multiple arabic packages ranging from $5 a month up to 50
DISH Network - International - 1.800.823.4929

The only other thing he may be talking about is free to air. There are a fair amount of Arabic programming on there but that requires a different receiver and a different dish setup

There are a lot of Arabic stuff on 97, that's probably what the guy was talking about and obviously didn't know the technical details of how to get it.

There are a lot of Arabic stuff on 97, that's probably what the guy was talking about and obviously didn't know the technical details of how to get it.

Yes, I have a big dish pointed at 97 West, and you can get a "FTA receiver" for $50-$100 that will receive a bunch of different International channels for free (after the cost of the equipment, of course) - they are advertising-based. It takes a 30 inch dish to get a reliable signal.

There are a number of Persian channels, and Southeast Asian channels, as well as a Dutch channel, Portugese channel, Bangladesh channel, a good Arab sports channel from the gulf, American religious channels and public channels.

The Persian channels are often entertaining, they are all the people who managed to flee the Im-a-nut-job regime, and have settled in Southern California. Lots of music video shows, live music performances, dramas, etc. All of the sort of things that are now banned back in the old country...

In fact the Im-a-nut-job regime have actually put up one of the Tehran channels, just to get their point of view to the exiles. :rolleyes:

Satellite Guys has a list of all the things on that slot:

SatelliteGuys.US - 97.0°W Galaxy 19 Ku

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)