Need Help Hooking 522 through Receiver, VCR, etc.

Dimwhit

Original poster
Apr 14, 2004
So I just got DISH with the 522, and it's awesome! (Despite being told some inaccurate info from the reseller.) But I have 2 issues:

1. I have it hooked through my receiver, which also runs the VCR, tape desk, TV, etc. But I'm having a problem. I can't figure out how to record from the 522 DVR to the VCR. The 522 is inputted to the VCR1 input on the back of the receiver, and the VCR is running through the VCR2 ports. This obviously isn't working. Anyone have success getting all that to go?

2. I want to hook this up to my computer. I'll just run RCA and/or S-Video, but what ports do I run from on the back of the 522? The only open ports appear to be output jacks for TV2 (my second TV). Anyone get this done correctly? With so many components, and most everything running through my receiver, it's just a wildly confusing mess.

Anyway, thanks for the help. I'm just loving DISH right now!

Well, without knowing the details of the receiver, it's hard to say what's what. I'll assume we're talking all RCA composite video/audio (yellow/red/white) and that the VCR2 has an output jackset. If so, it should be 'seeing' the same thing as the Monitor Out jackset. One solution would be to run the Monitor Out to the VCR and the VCR out directly to the TV. Audio from the VCR maybe gets run back to an Aux input on the receiver.

As for the TV2, no reason you can't share it's outputs between the second TV and the computer.

522rear.jpg

Well more than likely your Home theatre receiver will not allow you to have VCR1 and VCR2 active at the same time. Technically they are all inputs and the only output is from the receiver to your TV.

You would need to run the output from the receiver into the INPUT on your VCR and then output the sound and video from your VCR to your TV.

The only problem is that you would need to have the VCR on all the time when watching anything on the 522.

The following is for information purposes only: (If I am thinking right)

If you are using the S Video for TV1 you still need to run Audio L&R according to the manual. (Page 24)

So You can use the RCA outputs on TV1 or TV2 for computer. TV2 would be more suited for this in my estimation.

You can theoretically hook 4 TV's (or more using video splitters) to the 522.

TV1
One on the coax 3/4 TV1 output (Carries sound and video)
One on the S-video(plus using the audio RCA from TV1)
(A 3rd TV could possibly be used if you split the audio L/R output 1)
One using the TV1 Composite Video(yellow), Audio L(white)/R(red) (Hook this to VCR1 input on back of your receiver)

TV2
One hooked to coax 21-69 out (supplies audio/video to TV2)
One hooked to TV2 Composite Video(yellow), Audio L(white)/R(red). (Send this to your computer)
You can also split TV2 coax with a video splitter and send it to up to 4 TV's using the 21-69 output. (You just have to take the TV2 remote with you between all of the TV's)

Well, I have the VCR2 audio/video RCA jacks out to the VCR. But it's not seeing the same thing as the Monitor Out that goes to the TV. I don't know of a way I can run that Monitor out to the VCR, then the TV. At least not that I can see. As for info on the receiver, well it's a JVC RX-888V model. But that doesn't help you much. But yes, it's mainly RCA jacks to all the components, with an S-Video jack for some of them.

But I'll keep plugging away. Thanks!

According to JVC, you have:

4 S-Video inputs (1 on Front Panel)
2 S-Video outputs
1 Composite Video output

I couldn't find a good image of the back of the unit, so I can't help much more than what I posted above. I did notice a bunch of RCA jacks but I can't tell what they are.

Here is the best pic I could find:

images

Sorry I can't do anything more without having a detailed view of the back of your reciever.

I had a thought. Run the 522 TV1 Composite Video OUT to the back of your VCR IN, then VCR OUT to the reciever VCR1 IN and the monitor OUT to the TV.

It is just backward from the other way which was to run the 522 to the receiver VCR1 IN, then use Monitor OUT to the VCR IN and run the VCR OUT to the TV. (This way you could record anything going to the TV, alternatively above you could ONLY record off of the 522.)

Again you will have to have the VCR powered on all of the time, but that way you can record from DVR to the VCR any time you want.

My head hurts now..

Anyway... Have fun!

Dimwhit said:
Well, I have the VCR2 audio/video RCA jacks out to the VCR. But it's not seeing the same thing as the Monitor Out that goes to the TV.

Mark's suggested configurations are top notch as usual.

You might also want to consider that some VCR's will not see a signal into composite RCA jacks unless you select the proper input mode. Many VCR's default to seeing Coax input, so coax connection is almost always recognized.

However, some VCR's do not recognize a signal from input composite RCA jacks unless you specifically select the input mode of "Line". This is usually done by a mode button on your VCR remote.

You should be able to tell if your VCR is in the proper mode and whether is is actually receiving any signal by using your VCR remote for basic setup to search for all channels just like you would do when you set up your VCR to watch TV.

ignition said:
However, some VCR's do not recognize a signal from input composite RCA jacks unless you specifically select the input mode of "Line". This is usually done by a mode button on your VCR remote.

:bangs head against the wall:

I can't believe I did this AGAIN! That's exactly my problem. I didn't have it on Line 1. And I knew that. This is the millionth time that has been my problem with various tasks. Thanks a ton.

And Mark, thanks for all those notes. When I have time to get hooked into my computer, I'll be coming back to figure it out with your notes.

Thanks all!

Dimwhit said:
I can't believe I did this AGAIN!

Also been there, done that a million times. So many buttons to switch, jacks to plug and pull. I always get fixated on getting the receiver input/output right and forget about the VCR or DVD. And increased options only make configuration more difficult to trouble shoot.

My new JVC DVD player has two sets of "normal" output rca composite jacks, a third set for progressive scan, as well as S video, and two digital audio jacks (one optical and one coaxial). :confused:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)