Need help in St. Louis

MYNAMEHERE

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 19, 2006
Woodson Terrace, MO
I live on the SSE side of Lambert Field Airport, in Woodson Terrace. I have a Winegard medium directional UHF/VHF antenna that Dish Network installed 6 years ago on the roof using a tripod mount, pointed 176 degrees. That puts the line of sight right down the middle of the towers in south county, about 20 miles. I do get great signal strength, from 99 to 84. The street on the next block is higher and is lined with trees across the whole southern horizon. With the leaves fully out and when the wend blows, I do get drops of signal. Would an in-line amp help? or should I get a dedicated UHF antenna, of both? Any help would be appreciated.

MYNAMEHERE said:
I live on the SSE side of Lambert Field Airport, in Woodson Terrace. I have a Winegard medium directional UHF/VHF antenna that Dish Network installed 6 years ago on the roof using a tripod mount, pointed 176 degrees. That puts the line of sight right down the middle of the towers in south county, about 20 miles. I do get great signal strength, from 99 to 84. The street on the next block is higher and is lined with trees across the whole southern horizon. With the leaves fully out and when the wend blows, I do get drops of signal. Would an in-line amp help? or should I get a dedicated UHF antenna, of both? Any help would be appreciated.
The signal drops with leaves and wind might be due to increased or changed multipath interference or a change in signal refraction, neither of which would be helped much with a pre-amp. Since you are otherwise receiving strong signals, I don't think signal strength is the issue. Repointing the antenna and/or a more directional antenna might help with the drop-out issues on the channel(s) you're trying to optimize but that might come at the expense of others. Check www.antennaweb.org to see what you should be able to receive in your area re: channels, bearings, distances, then optimize your system to those channels that mean the most to you...

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts