Need help installing DVR-625

makotoshishio

Original poster
Jan 15, 2007
Hello everyone, I need help for my setup. I live in Puerto Rico, for those who don't know where is it, it is on the caribbean.

I have 2 old Dish receivers, nothing fancy single tuner each. Two Dishes with legacy dual LNB connected to SW21 and SW21X switches. I got a new DVR-625 dual tuner receiver which comes with a Dish Separator. The instructions said that the separator is meant to be used with either a DPP44 switch OR a Dish PRO LNB.

I went to a local store and I was told to remove the separator a run two separate lines for each tuner for the following reasons:

1) The satellite frequency used in PR is different from that in the US and that is why we need to use Legacy LNBs
2) The DPP44 switch will not work with Legacy LNBs
3) If I try to install the separator using a DPP4 and installing a third receiver I could damage the LNB or receiver because there is some kind of voltage difference that he tried to explain and I could not understand.

He suggested a different method which uses two switches that can receive up to three sat connections and feed to receivers connected to the SW21s to have the two cables for the dual tuner and a adittional cable for the third receiver. This methoid was cheaper but honestly I would not like to run two cables to the 625 receiver.

Is it true that the separator wont work with legacy lnbs and a DPP44 ?
Is it possible to do what I want, using a single cable to the 625 connected to the separator, with a different switch?

Thank you for your help.

Hello everyone, I need help for my setup. I live in Puerto Rico, for those who don't know where is it, it is on the caribbean.

I have 2 old Dish receivers, nothing fancy single tuner each. Two Dishes with legacy dual LNB connected to SW21 and SW21X switches. I got a new DVR-625 dual tuner receiver which comes with a Dish Separator. The instructions said that the separator is meant to be used with either a DPP44 switch OR a Dish PRO LNB.

I went to a local store and I was told to remove the separator a run two separate lines for each tuner for the following reasons:

1) The satellite frequency used in PR is different from that in the US and that is why we need to use Legacy LNBs
2) The DPP44 switch will not work with Legacy LNBs
3) If I try to install the separator using a DPP4 and installing a third receiver I could damage the LNB or receiver because there is some kind of voltage difference that he tried to explain and I could not understand.

He suggested a different method which uses two switches that can receive up to three sat connections and feed to receivers connected to the SW21s to have the two cables for the dual tuner and a adittional cable for the third receiver. This methoid was cheaper but honestly I would not like to run two cables to the 625 receiver.

Is it true that the separator wont work with legacy lnbs and a DPP44 ?
Is it possible to do what I want, using a single cable to the 625 connected to the separator, with a different switch?

Thank you for your help.
First Welcome!:welcome(To you First post)
The "local store" BS you with "Different frequencies cra^^".The main reason most retailers are still using legacy gear here in PR is because is cheaper than Dp gear and can get better profit from new installs,The only thing true from them is you will need to replace the legacy stuff you have in your installation in order to use DPP brand(remember DPP is not the same as DP,this means you need to replace your lnbs)so you can use the DPP 44 and therefore use the separator.If the installer installed correctly TV 2 then probably you have Diplexers on your setup and those you can use with the DPP brand..

Last edited:
Nice to get an answer from someone in PR. I installed the dishes myself a long time ago and I bought them at the store I talked about in my last post. The way I see it is that to replace my LNBs with DPP LNBs I will need to replace the whole dish because the arm that holds the LNB won't work with the DPP LNB as this last one has a wide connector for the arm.

Current setup is dish - sw21 - receiver box 1 and dish - sw21x - receiver box 2. No diplexer and BTW what is that?

So you mean that I need to get two DPP LNBs and a DPP44 to be able to use the separator? I guess that is going to cost something like $300 more if the LNBs can be installed on my current LNB arms.

I know in PR you guys use bigger dishes so you will need a DP Dual for each dish. They look exactly like the Legacy lnbs but in the outside they say DP. Plus the DPP44 switch, of course.

Nice to get an answer from someone in PR. I installed the dishes myself a long time ago and I bought them at the store I talked about in my last post. The way I see it is that to replace my LNBs with DPP LNBs I will need to replace the whole dish because the arm that holds the LNB won't work with the DPP LNB as this last one has a wide connector for the arm.

Current setup is dish - sw21 - receiver box 1 and dish - sw21x - receiver box 2. No diplexer and BTW what is that?

So you mean that I need to get two DPP LNBs and a DPP44 to be able to use the separator? I guess that is going to cost something like $300 more if the LNBs can be installed on my current LNB arms.

Why you have an 21x in the first place?
The 21x is for 3 Sat locations,you only have 2,Like Randall says you'll need a dual Dpp lnbs so you can use the DPP 44,The Diplexer switch a device that allow you to feed the second tuner saving some cable and runs to any place in your home(Remember 90% of the homes are build in concrete here)Using a sw21 and 21x in your setup like appears you're using is not recommended in a dual tuner receiver,because can conflicts your ird with the setup(like intermittent signal lost in one or both tuners)and also when you run a check switch probably you can see conflicts in the results(The 21x will shown in your screen as a Sw42).And Finally you can do this very cheap,You can go to dishstore or can go to second hand gear on ebay.Also you don't need to modified DP lbs anymore if you have 4' dishes you can buy DP arms for them locally on Today's Television.

Why you have an 21x in the first place?
The 21x is for 3 Sat locations,you only have 2,Like Randall says you'll need a dual Dpp lnbs so you can use the DPP 44,The Diplexer switch a device that allow you to feed the second tuner saving some cable and runs to any place in your home(Remember 90% of the homes are build in concrete here)Using a sw21 and 21x in your setup like appears you're using is not recommended in a dual tuner receiver,because can conflicts your ird with the setup(like intermittent signal lost in one or both tuners)and also when you run a check switch probably you can see conflicts in the results(The 21x will shown in your screen as a Sw42).And Finally you can do this very cheap,You can go to dishstore or can go to second hand gear on ebay.Also you don't need to modified DP lbs anymore if you have 4' dishes you can buy DP arms for them locally on Today's Television.

The 21x is there because about 5 years ago when I first got Dish the install tech. guy used those switches. Later I moved and got 5' antennas and installed them myself using a SatHawk satfinder and the same switches. I got those antennas from Todays TV. That is the Store I went to ask about the switches and I was told the DPP 44 will not work with the Legacy LNBs that I got with the antennas and that thing about "different frequencies" and that was why I can't used DPP LNBs.

Thanks for the information, it sure helps.

The 21x is there because about 5 years ago when I first got Dish the install tech. guy used those switches. Later I moved and got 5' antennas and installed them myself using a SatHawk satfinder and the same switches. I got those antennas from Todays TV. That is the Store I went to ask about the switches and I was told the DPP 44 will not work with the Legacy LNBs that I got with the antennas and that thing about "different frequencies" and that was why I can't used DPP LNBs.

Thanks for the information, it sure helps.

Witch Store? Guaynabo or San German?Odd they came in the front desk with that bold explanation, As Randall and I pointed out is not about "frequencies" rather different technologies,That's why you can't mixes with each other.I'm working as a sub for them and I want to believe somebody new there gave you that explanation.

Witch Store? Guaynabo or San German?Odd they came in the front desk with that bold explanation, As Randall and I pointed out is not about "frequencies" rather different technologies,That's why you can't mixes with each other.I'm working as a sub for them and I want to believe somebody new there gave you that explanation.

Guaynabo store. But, hey, I'm not an expert and we talked about so many different things that maybe I did not understand it correctly. Hey, you mentioned that I need to replace my LNBs with DPP LNBs and then use the SW44 switch to be able to run one cable to the DVR and use the separator for both tuners. Then you said that there is an antenna arm that fits the DPP dual LNBs and that it can be used for the 4' antenna. Do you know if this arm fits the 5' metal antenna that Todays TV sells?

Also, I noticed the DPP dual LNBs look kind of different in construction as the Legacy LNBs that I got with my antennas. If I install the new LNBs, do you think I will have to aim the antenna again?

Sorry for so many questions, you have provided a lot of help.

If you never installed a dpp44 before , don't attempt it. You can burn up the switch or a receiver if you don't hook it up right. The easiest way to do what you want done is this.

If im understanding you setup correctly, you have 2 dishes, both looking at a single orbital. Two lines out of each dish to 21 switches that run to 2 excisting recievers. You are wanting to add a 625 receiver to your system and you have no experience in installing satellite.

The easiest and most cost effective way to add your 625 is to purchase a dp34 switch and maybe two dp adaptors for your existing receivers ( a just in case option). Take one line from Dish A and one line off Dish B and run them to your dp34. Now move the lines off receiver out on the sw21's to the out ports on the dp34. Last step will be to run 2 lines off the 34 switch to your 625 receiver.

All you have to do next is do a check switch on all of your receivers . If the legacyies come back red do a front panel restart rerun the check switch...still red than put the dp adaptors on each leg.

Hello Mako
Yes, you'll need to replace your lnb's in order to use the DPP44switch(SW44 is also a legacy switch).DPP 44 , DPP33 and DPP64(the last 2 when become available) are the only ones with the capacity to run 1 cable (and the separator) to dual tuners receivers.About if you'll need to re aim you dishes with the new setup,yes but only very sightly to re gain the strongest signal available. Regarding the arms for 5',yes we'll have around 1,000 soon since where were order to the retailer fabricator, but hasn't arrived yet.I'll keep posted when arrived.:)

Hello Mako
Yes, you'll need to replace your lnb's in order to use the DPP44switch(SW44 is also a legacy switch).DPP 44 , DPP33 and DPP64(the last 2 when become available) are the only ones with the capacity to run 1 cable (and the separator) to dual tuners receivers.About if you'll need to re aim you dishes with the new setup,yes but only very sightly to re gain the strongest signal available. Regarding the arms for 5',yes we'll have around 1,000 soon since where were order to the retailer fabricator, but hasn't arrived yet.I'll keep posted when arrived.:)

Well, I went back to the store and I talked to a skinny guy who seems to be the supervisor or owner. Anyway, here is what he sold me.

2 ZINWELL 3x4 multi switches
1 additional SW21 switch

He told me to connect one cable from each LNB to each 3x4 multi switch on port SAT1 and do the same for port SAT2. Then, using the SW21s connect RX1 and RX2 from the first multi switch to the SW21 and repeat with RX3 and RX4 and again with RX1 and RX2 from the second multi switch. At the end I will have 3 available cables, 2 for the dual tuner and one for the other receiver. If I add another receiver, or replace the single tuner with a dual tuner, I just need to add another SW21 to feed it.

I got this for $92 including a junction box to protect everything because right now all switches and cables are exposed to the weather.

Well, I went back to the store and I talked to a skinny guy who seems to be the supervisor or owner. Anyway, here is what he sold me.

2 ZINWELL 3x4 multi switches
1 additional SW21 switch

He told me to connect one cable from each LNB to each 3x4 multi switch on port SAT1 and do the same for port SAT2. Then, using the SW21s connect RX1 and RX2 from the first multi switch to the SW21 and repeat with RX3 and RX4 and again with RX1 and RX2 from the second multi switch. At the end I will have 3 available cables, 2 for the dual tuner and one for the other receiver. If I add another receiver, or replace the single tuner with a dual tuner, I just need to add another SW21 to feed it.

I got this for $92 including a junction box to protect everything because right now all switches and cables are exposed to the weather.
That's Giovanny
He's the Manager of that store,Well, he sold you the gear for a cascade setup,for what you want will work,If you need any additional help pm me.:)

Hi There:

There is alot of people in here that know where Puerto Rico is! Bienvenido!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)