Need Help Installing Switches/OFA, etc 522/811/811/921

retsef

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Mar 15, 2004
I have a Dish 500 Quad LNBF which services 3 receivers (522, 811, 811). The 522 is currently connected to two lines and is diplexed or separated not sure which for distribution to whole house.

Just purchased a 921. Need to hook it up. I have a whole house distribution center in the basement which everything runs through with two cable ports in each room. I want to minimize running of additonal cables and use what is existing. I want to connect my OFA for distribution to the two 811s and the 921.

What exactly do I need? I'm confused about swithes, diplexers, and separators especially with the DishPro products.

I'm thinking that I could use a DP21 and connect one satellite cable to the port and the OFA to the other port. Then use a separator at the room to connect to the 921. And then diplex one of the 921 inputs for the OFA input.

I'm thinking an additional DP21 to connect one satellite cable to the port and the OFA to the other port. Then use a separator at the distribution center to connect to the each of the 811 outputs. Then in each room where the 811s are located, use a diplexer and connect one to sat input and one to OFA input.

Does this sound right?

sat input ===>
OFA input ===> DP21 -----existing cable run---->
>-------------------> separator ------>
-from separator---->921 tuner 1
-from separator----> diplexer -------->
-from diplexer----->921 tuner 2
-from diplexer-----> 921 OFA

sat input ===>
OFA input ===> DP21 --> separator ---existing cable run------>
(below repeated twice for each 811)
>--------------------> diplexer ---->
-from diplexer------>811
-from diplexer------>OFA

522 connection remains untouched using existing 2 cable input

Items to purchase:
2 - DP21
2 - DP approved separator
3 - diplexer

No, sorry guy, as you said, you have no knowledge of how this stuff fits together.

This is going to take a while to bring you up to speed, but that's what we're here for. :)

To start, you MUST have a discrete satellite feed for EVERY "Satellite In" port on EVERY receiver. You have four (the Quad) in use right now, and NO way to expand that using your shopping list.

Forget about DP21's - they are only good for 3-bird configurations. Apparently, your locals are on 110/119, so the only reason for a third bird is CBS-HD (if you qualify) and/or internationals (which you have not mentioned). So, forget them.

A DPP Separator can ONLY be used with DPP44 switches and DPP Twin LNBFs. The DPP Twin is not suitable for your setup. Forget it.

Now, combining DPP Separators, DPP power inserters, and diplexers is an art, and the DPP44 switch is expensive. let's forget about it.

With 2 2150MHz (at least 2150, right?) RG-6 feeds available to each receiver location, you're in good shape, wire-wise.

Get a DP34 switch. It will use 2 of the Quad feeds to create four outputs - and still leaves you cascade ports for the future. Now, you have SIX discrete satellite feeds for your six tuners. Biggest problem now solved. :)

As for your OTA (not OFA) antenna feeds, that's where diplexers come in. It is easy to share a satellite feed cable with OTA - just add a pair of diplexers. The single port sides "face" each other on the cable. The 2-port sides face the receiver at one end of the cable, and the switch & antenna at the other. One port goes to satellite (switch or receiver) the other to antenna (feed or receiver).

This setup will only use the "diplexability" ;) of one of the 2 cables. You can diplex the other to send TV2 output (from 522) back to the wiring closet to be sent elsewhere in the house. No real sense in doing that with the 921 for most situations, but it will work there, too.

Your OTA system will probably need a video distribution amplifier in order to keep signal levels high enough. Start at radio shack - last I looked they had a nice 4-output model for something less than $50 - maybe more, but still reasonable.

I've posted a lot of stuff here - don't sweat it if you don't get it all at once - remember this IS rocket science (but NOT brain surgery ;) ) we're dealing with.

Sorry about the multiple posts

PS) My apologies for the multiple posts. I didn't know where to post my question and there seemed like a number of places to post it. I was not intentionally spamming the forums. I was simply trying to get an answer to my situation.

Thanks for the info. I think I understand. I'm calling E* for my free install of the 921, especially since they will supply the expensive parts. I can sweat the small stuff later. Where the 921 is located, I want to use the second RG6 for the 522 tuner2 output, so I can pump Sirius into my whole house audio system. I will use the other RG6 to run the satellite feed + OTA to the 921 tuners 1&2.

Again, my apologies and thanks for the info.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)