Need help making the jump to the 21st century

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

thibaulta

Original poster
Nov 12, 2012
Seattle, WA
Just heard about this new thing called HD TV so I thought I'd get on the bandwagon. Right now we have two SD TVs with TIVO SD-DVR40's...they're not dead yet but I think they recently became eligible for Medicare. Just converted the basement into a media room with a new 60" HD TV and so I need to upgrade my DTV but I'm confused by the Genie, Whole Home, DECA alphabet soup. :confused: Even though we love TIVO we've decided it makes more sense to go with the more feature-rich DTV receivers. Here's what I think I need:

1. HR 34 for the new HD TV in the basement
2. new HD non-DVR receivers for the two SD TV's -- these will eventually be upgraded to HD Tvs so I'm hoping to future proof. Both TV's have component inputs.
3. a new SWiM satellite

What I'd like is to be able to view the shows recorded on the HR 34 on the SD TV's as well, but I'm not sure what needs to happen for that to work (RF modulator?) or what I need to tell DTV to get the right setup. I know just enough to be dangerous without being useful so I would greatly appreciate some direction from the experts.

Thanks in advance!

Andrew

thibaulta said:
Just heard about this new thing called HD TV so I thought I'd get on the bandwagon. Right now we have two SD TVs with TIVO SD-DVR40's...they're not dead yet but I think they recently became eligible for Medicare. Just converted the basement into a media room with a new 60" HD TV and so I need to upgrade my DTV but I'm confused by the Genie, Whole Home, DECA alphabet soup. :confused: Even though we love TIVO we've decided it makes more sense to go with the more feature-rich DTV receivers. Here's what I think I need:

1. HR 34 for the new HD TV in the basement
2. new HD non-DVR receivers for the two SD TV's -- these will eventually be upgraded to HD Tvs so I'm hoping to future proof. Both TV's have component inputs.
3. a new SWiM satellite

What I'd like is to be able to view the shows recorded on the HR 34 on the SD TV's as well, but I'm not sure what needs to happen for that to work (RF modulator?) or what I need to tell DTV to get the right setup. I know just enough to be dangerous without being useful so I would greatly appreciate some direction from the experts.

Thanks in advance!

Andrew

You need a genie set up. If its just you and the wife, I would go with a HR34 and 2 clients. This will give you full functions of an HDDVR at all 3 locations. By the way, if them tivos haven't worked I REFUSE to pay them Medicare! ;)

Hi, you have several options available. Since your SD TV's have component inputs (Good job checking that BTW, most folks wouldn't think to look), any of the receivers or clients will work. They all have component outs.
Mostly it will come down to cost and special offers available.. We don't have any way of knowing what offers might be available as they change frequently and aren't the same for all customers.
A couple things you'll most likely want are "Whole Home" which lets you share your recordings among the different receivers, and if you have broadband internet, a Cinema Connection Kit to connect the receivers to the internet (For On-Demand, it lets you download shows and movies)
As far as receivers go, here are some options:
1. Genie with 2 clients (already mentioned)
2. Genie with 2 HD-DVR's
3. Genie with 2 HD receivers (non-DVR's)
4. 3 HD-DVR's
5. A mix of HD-DVR's and a non HD-DVR (I wouldn't recommend this.. costs the same monthly to go with all HD-DVRs, so if you can, you should. you'll be happier in the end)

Thanks for the welcome Chip and thanks for the recommendations Hutch and Lanarian! A couple follow up questions:

1. Are there still problems with HD menus on SD TV's?

2. Based on the recommendations, I'm down to Genie/2 Clients vs. Genie/2 HD DVRs - the main argument I see for the Genie/2 HD DVRs is that most of the programs I'll be recording on the Genie will be in HD and so I won't be able to watch them on the two SD TVs - is that right?

3. We have broadband and definitely want "Whole Home" -- so which boxes will require the Cinema Connection Kit? Anything else be be aware of wiring/hardware wise?

4. Since this is essentially like a new install -- new satellite, new cable runs, new boxes -- I'm looking to do all I can to hold the line on costs. I've been a loyal and low maintenance DTV customer for 10 years with no equipment upgrades. Any thoughts on strategies to get DTV to cut me a break on the upgrade?

5. And finally, anything in particular I should be sure to mention when I place the order and set up the install?

Thanks again for the help! Forget refer-a-friend, DTV should give you guys a credit for handling their customer service/marketing for them. Cheers!

Andrew

A key question for the OP: Do your SDTVs have RCA or S-Video inputs? RF modulators with modern DIRECTV receivers are becoming more and more complicated.

Being a 10 year customer with no upgrades paid off. Genie + 2 clients + new satellite + install for no charge. $3 whole home fee (didn't have it before) and $10 HD fee which will be credited back. Thanks DTV!

And thanks to the forum!

harshness said:
A key question for the OP: Do your SDTVs have RCA or S-Video inputs? RF modulators with modern DIRECTV receivers are becoming more and more complicated.

How? They still work the same. Nothing changed other than clients require a special tin pin connection but even then they still hook up to an RF modulator the same way

thibaulta said:
Being a 10 year customer with no upgrades paid off. Genie + 2 clients + new satellite + install for no charge. $3 whole home fee (didn't have it before) and $10 HD fee which will be credited back. Thanks DTV!

And thanks to the forum!

Congrats! That sounds like a pretty sweet deal! Enjoy! You need to call in and have the Whole home charge taking off. If you only have the 34 and 2 clients there isn't a charge for whole home. Only if you have other receivers that you want to be able to access on another receiver. Whole home is not a requirement for the genie to work

SD receivers (and channels and in general) should be outlawed. Round 'em up for a massacre. Get HD receivers. They work fine with SDTVs. It will yell at you and tell it to hold down the exit button. Do that and it works fine (it switches it to SD output but you still get the HD channels.) That way, you'll get the HD-only channels.

Also, be sure to set the receiver's aspect ratio to letterbox so it doesn't stretch the image up-and-down on the HD channels. I used to have a H25 connected to a SDTV and it worked fine.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts