Need help 'moving'

Status
Please reply by conversation.

tjdjr

Original poster
Jun 21, 2005
Hello. I am a new D* subscriber living in the Columbus, GA market area. I cannot get locals here for some reason. Locals are available in Atlanta (110 miles away), Macon, GA (<100 miles away) and montgomery, AL (110 miles away). I've heard about people moving to get locals but do not fully understand how this works or if it would work in my location. Can someone please help. Thanks.
Tony

Change your service address to a physical address somewhere in the area you want locals from. Maybe change last number of street address by 1 number or so.

welcome :wave

I would do a search about it. There are lots of people who have done this (me being one of them) :)

tjdjr said:
Hello. I am a new D* subscriber living in the Columbus, GA market area. I cannot get locals here for some reason. Locals are available in Atlanta (110 miles away), Macon, GA (<100 miles away) and montgomery, AL (110 miles away). I've heard about people moving to get locals but do not fully understand how this works or if it would work in my location. Can someone please help. Thanks.
Tony

Welcome Tony! I live in the Albany, GA DMA, and still waiting on DirecTV to offer us SD-LIL here too! (

~Alan

Well I moved, but the locals only show on 2 out of my 4 receivers. The other two can pull the channel up but say it is not available in this area. Does anyone know why this is?

I have read a couple of posts on this subject...so of course the gears start clicking away. So here is a question, purely hypothetical of course. If one lives in....let's say Columbus Ohio...and then "Moves" to ummm....Philadelphia PA. Would you then actually get the locals from Philly with a box that is 500 miles away. Just in theory....

Well in my very limited knowledge on this, I think that the locals are on a 'spot beam'. So if the place you physically live in happens to be in the local's spot beam that you want ('move to') you can get those locals. Not sure if the Philly spot beam covers all the way to Columbus though (there are maps on this site that show the different beam radii). Hopefully someone with a lot more knowledge on this will come along and give you a better answer.

tjdjr said:
Well in my very limited knowledge on this, I think that the locals are on a 'spot beam'. So if the place you physically live in happens to be in the local's spot beam that you want ('move to') you can get those locals. Not sure if the Philly spot beam covers all the way to Columbus though (there are maps on this site that show the different beam radii). Hopefully someone with a lot more knowledge on this will come along and give you a better answer.

You are correct. Most locals are covered in a spot beam and have a limited coverage area. The coverage area varies depending on the width of the spot beam. I don't have a map so if anyone does please post a link...

Well, if two of his four recievers are working, then, I would say that he is in the spot beam. My suggestion would be to unplug the recievers, and and then plug them back in to reset them. Otherwise, giving D* a call is the only other option. Also, if there is a "call extension number" on the bottom of the screen, that CAN be done through the automated system at 1-800-directv, without having to talk to a live person. If no number is given, you could try putting extension 721 in and see if that works.

I live in Chicago and get the NY HDTV locals (NBC, CBS and FOX) I am a NY Giants fan and the NY locals carry their games each Suanday but they get blacked out cause I live in Chicago. If I was to “move” to NY would I be able to see the games? I understand I would lose Chicago locals but that doesn’t matter cause I get them in HD Via antenna. Does anyone sees problems with this?

See if you can get the NY fox station via a waiver :) This worked for me here in Phoenix AZ. Since Chicago is O&O, you shouldn't have much of a problem.

fkostyn said:
See if you can get the NY fox station via a waiver :) This worked for me here in Phoenix AZ. Since Chicago is O&O, you shouldn't have much of a problem.

Well first of all, you are only going to get the distant nets on your HD receivers, of which the NFL games on the NY HD nets are blacked out.

Also, by the new SHVIA law, DBS is NOT supposed to give ANY new subs distant nets if their DMA has LIL service - period, waivers or not.

Sean - yes, if you move to NY, you WOULD then get those games, as you are then considered in market. I assume you already know that you will NOT get any of the other NY locals; just the big 4 nets.

Tonedeaf said:
Change your service address to a physical address somewhere in the area you want locals from. Maybe change last number of street address by 1 number or so.

If you do this, where does your Directv bill get mailed to?

charper1 said:
wouldn't it be to the billing address?

It may have seemed like a silly question but I don't remember ever being asked for more than one address when I signed up. No one asked "where would you like the bill sent to?" At least that I can remember. Of course, the older I get there's more and more that I can't remember! :rolleyes:

Does it not raise suspicion if you tell them you moved but want the bill to continue to go to the old address? Just trying to understand this process. I was denied waivers and could use some options.

Ricknau said:
It may have seemed like a silly question but I don't remember ever being asked for more than one address when I signed up. No one asked "where would you like the bill sent to?" At least that I can remember. Of course, the older I get there's more and more that I can't remember! :rolleyes:

Does it not raise suspicion if you tell them you moved but want the bill to continue to go to the old address? Just trying to understand this process. I was denied waivers and could use some options.

Usually most people would want their bill sent to the same place as their service address so D* doesn't automatically ask this question. With that being said however, you won't raise suspicions if you simply tell them your equipment is at your vacation home and you want your bill sent to a seperate billing address. You make your "vacation" home inside the coverage area of the locals you want to receive.

You can have an alternate billing address or just do eft's, if only two of your channels are getting cna then you its one of two things, you're rec are old and the locals are in the 800's or 900's or you just have to change the dish type in your locals, if you live in a regular are change to round dish, if you live in a 119 area change to oval 3, if you have problems call 800-695-9251 for technical assistance.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts