Need help on how to set up another room

berger

Original poster
Oct 3, 2004
I am a Dish subscriber, using the original receiver that I bought when I got Dish back in '99. Its an Echostar 4000 series. I have a Dish 500 dish. I recently bought a Dish 301 receiver from a friend, which also came with a card.

What do I need to do to set it up in another room? I want to be able to watch different channels in the other room. The connector coming off the dish is an SW-21 with two cables coming out of the dish to the connector, which then has one cable running into the house. Do I need to buy a connector that allows 2 cables to run to the house then have it go to the 2nd receiver?

Please help. :confused:

So I should unplug one of the two cables coming out of the satelite is going into the existing sw-21, and plug it into a new one? Then each sw-21 would have one cable going in and one going out. Sound right?

No.

You probably have 2 separate LNBFs on the D500. One cable from each goes into the SW-21.

IF you have "dual" LNBFs, you can "clone" what you already have with a second SW-21. Dual LNBFs have 2 outputs. You have to remove it from the arm to check. If there's another connector - on both - then you're good to go.

If not, then you've got to get more expensive hardware. In your case, a Legacy Twin is going to be cheapest, but does NOT allow for any future expansion.

If you've got ANY possibility of going beyond 2 receivers before you consider the Twin "paid for" or "worth it", then it might be time to bite the bullet and go DishPro.

Simon
he has a 4000 right now, so DishPro wont work without the adapter

If he wants to add on later on, get a Legacy Quad...it would allow 4 outputs

You're right - I was thinking about more than 2 birds.
Aren't "receivers" and "satellites" interchangable? :D

P.S. To other readers: They are NOT - I'm making a (very) little joke to cover my mistake. ;)

I'll look tonight and see if there is 2 open plugs coming from the dish. How much will a quad adapter cost? I'm thinking it might be worth switching over to Direct tv just to get extra rooms installed for free. I don't have anything against Dish Network, haven't had any problems with their service. I just don't wanna be spending 200 bucks just to get satellite in another room.

All you need is another SW-21 and some RG-6 coax for crying out loud. Just hook up the 301 like the 4000. It's not rocket science and it shouldn't cost you more than ~$30 and an hour of your time.

correct

the quads sell for about 50-75 bucks depending on where you get it. This is an option if you decide to add on later.

JohnDoe#2 said:
All you need is another SW-21 and some RG-6 coax for crying out loud. Just hook up the 301 like the 4000. It's not rocket science and it shouldn't cost you more than ~$30 and an hour of your time.

:rolleyes:

Did I touch a nerve talking about Direct tv or something???

Everyone else thanks for your help.

JohnDoe #2: That's what I told him - except I added the necessary caveat - that he MUST have a pair of Dual LNBFs. If he's got singles, then a Twin or Quad is the answer.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts