Need Help Pointing Dish 500 at 61.5

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

agent007

Original poster
Jul 25, 2004
Hello to all! I have a SD pointed at 105 (I think. That's what the CSR said anyway). I also have a dish 500. I went to the point dish menu, checked dish 300 and got the angles for the 61.5.(I'm planning buying a 211 and so not want to agree to a year in case I don't like the HD programming. That's why I'm not going for their upgrade offer.) Do I need to adjust the skew? The menu says N/A. I searched the forum earlier and it was suggested that when pointing a dish 500 at one satellite that one should cover one of the lnb's with foil to keep from getting an inaccurate reading. Am I on the right track? Am I crazy for not going for the upgrade and trying to point the dish myself?

if you are using the dish 500 to point at 61.5, you should check "dish 500" in the point dish screen. The "dish 300" is for a smaller dish with a single lnb. Check proper box and the skew number should show up. Not sure what you should do as far as covering one of the lnb's, if two wires are used, disconnecting one should work as well.

Last edited:
If you have a Dual lnb on your dish 500 then I would skew the dish and cover the other lnb with aluminum foil until you get your dish peaked. Remember that your lnb must be DishPro if you want to tie it in with your superdish. When you add the 61.5 satellite, you will need to have a DPP44 switch or a DP21 switch to combign all the feeds.

I pointed an extra Dish 500 at 61.5 and I never used any aluminum foil. Adust your skew to 90 degrees. Then use the coordinates as if it were a Dish 300.

"If you have a Dual lnb on your dish 500 then I would skew the dish and cover the other lnb with aluminum foil "

I don't think this applies to a Dual Lnb but for a DP Twin. It just makes it easier.

RandallA said:
"If you have a Dual lnb on your dish 500 then I would skew the dish and cover the other lnb with aluminum foil "
I don't think this applies to a Dual Lnb but for a DP Twin. It just makes it easier.

Yep, you are right.

I have to know why you want to cover the lnb with something or skew the dish for one satellite? I have done alot of 61.5 installes with a 500 and always set it on 90. It does not make sense to me.

The Tate said:
I have to know why you want to cover the lnb with something or skew the dish for one satellite? I have done alot of 61.5 installes with a 500 and always set it on 90. It does not make sense to me.

My thoughts exactly. I did my own install and it worked just fine.

The Tate & garys:

You cover the 110 eye of a Twin with foil to avoid a possible mis-aim that can come back and bite you later. Also, use the feed port under the 119 eye, NOT the other one - unless you need two feeds.

This is because of how a Twin "cold-starts".

Finally, you will NOT get ANY numbers for 61.5 when "Dish500" is checked, you MUST check Dish300. Then, adjust the dish 4.5 degrees in azimuth east to compensate for the offset caused by the "Y-bracket". Skew should be set to 90.

The Tate said:
I have to disagree with you Simon.
I agree with using the 119 port put I do not believe you have to cover the other eye.
I think we can just agree to disagree on this.:)
OK - you are now hereby assigned to answer all the "got 119, no 110", and "got 119 & 129" threads. :cool:

Agent007, for the best reception of 61.5 using a Dish 500, replace its "Y" bracket with an "I" bracket (available at Sadoun, advertised above). Using an "I" bracket puts the LNBF at the prime focus, resulting in stronger signal strength. Also it eliminates the need for skewing and allows you to use the Dish 300 azimuth and elevation angles provided by your receiver.

61.5 will be your FOURTH satellite. In order to incorporate four satellites, you must use a DPP44 switch (which costs almost $200). Considering that high cost, you might be better off to let Dish do the upgrade instead of you doing it yourself...IF....Dish will include a DPP44 with the upgrade. (Keep in mind that DPP44 switches can only be used with Dish Pro or DPPlus LNBFs.)

Thanks, The Tate.

I live west of N.A. I'm self-employed in a field unrelated to satellite TV, but I've subscribed to Dishnetwork for many years, and I try to keep up with their technology. I have a Superdish 105 and a 811 receiver. The 811 tunes in WCBI 4's OTA HD signal well, and some days I can get WLOV 27's digital signal. (It's digital, but not HD yet.) I hear it will be a long time before WTVA 9 and WKDH 45 go digital. (Too bad. Sure wish I could watch the Superbowl in HD.) But there's a chance I might. A few weeks ago, I put a new UHF antenna on a 55 ft plole and pointed it toward Memphis. On a good day, I can get Memphis' ABC affilliate WPTY 24's HD signal well, but most days it cuts in and out.

Getting back to the subject....sort of.....come February, I think I'll upgrade my 811 to a 622 and subscribe to some new HD programming (which will be broadcast in MPEG 4). That will mean I'll have to have a dish pointed at either 129 or 61.5. I have an old Dish 500 but I need a DPP44 switch. So I think I'll call Dish during the first week of February and find out if a free DPP44 is included with the $49 dish upgrade fee. It's my understanding as of now that they'll also charge me $299 to swap my 811 for the 622. I'm not complaining. That's a great deal.

Anyway, thanks for welcoming me to the forum. This is only my second post. I wandered off-topic, but I hope most of the guys will forgive me for that. The Tate, take care and stay dry. (Five inches of rain here in the last two days.)

7720driver
Well it did stop raining today thats a good thing.
I am actually fixing to build a house south of New Albany just 1 mile north of pontotoc so I can be closer to my work. If there is anything I can ever do for you just PM me.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts