Need help understanding/using Sling.

Jon J

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Nov 16, 2005
Music City, USA
I can find no user manual specific to the H3. I would like to know how to set up and use the Sling feature. Can someone please direct me where to find instructions on doing this? Your help would be appreciated.

Just make sure your hopper is connected to the Internet. Install the dish anywhere app from Google play or apples app store on whatever device you want to use. Login with your dish credentials and that's it.

Thanks very much. Seems simple enough but I may find a way to foul it up. I was unable to find that simple set of instructions which I am sure are buried somewhere. ;)

There's an App that explains the process step by step. Select the Dish Mobile Quick Start App and then the Dish Anywhere selection.

Reactions: charlesrshell
No, SamH. As usual the members and DIRT reps have all the answers. I just wanted to find out what Sling is and how to use it and now I know.

Surprised it works in Area 51.
Area 51 is in Nevada. Roswell, of course, is the mother lode! :) The shop I worked was in the same hangar that the artifacts were temporarily stored in on Walker AFB.... The artifacts were in 1947, I was there from 1962-65...

Sling is the feature built into the Hopper 3 that allows internet connection, Apps such as Pandora and Netflixs, and other features. Is there something in particular you were trying to do?
What?

Sling is the feature that allows dish anywhere to play shows from your Hopper anywhere in the world.

Reactions: Tampa8 and .Andy
DishAnywhere/Sling also works on Amazon Fire Tablets. I would let the OP know that sometimes DishAnywher/Sling can a bit "moody." Sometimes it may not load because of no internet connection, even though it should. This odd now and then behavior is not worth getting into a panic. It will then function as should for quite a long time after. However, I found that it needs to have an internet connection may be at least a few times per month. When I tried to play back transferred videos on a tablet NOT connected to the internet that did not have DishAnywhere/Sling launched with an internet connection for over a month, I got a message stating so, and directing me to launch app with internet connection to like reauthorize it, and then my transfers would play back. I seem to remember a statement about "30 days" in relation to connecting to internet.

Sling Loaded devices is what Sam meant. The Sling feature/Sling Loaded device is built into the H3. It then Slings the data over the internet to the DishAnywhere app. Previous models to the H2 required an external Sling Adapter. They are all products of an Echostar company, SlingMedia, which also sales SlingBoxes that will do the same thing with any provider with the Sling app. Hopefully that clears the air. I would not say Sam was wrong, nor are you Spoiler. Think this is just a misunderstanding of sorts on the context of the statement.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts