Need HELP using DVD recorder with Dish VIP722k HD box

TimandPatti

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 16, 2009
Texas
I am not an expert in things like this but I need help hooking up my
Panasonic DMR-EZ47V DVD recorder to a Dish Network VIP722k HD receiver.
Before we got the HD reciever I could record movies off the DVR onto DVD's, now I can't seem to get it to work. :confused:

Can anyone who is a Pro at things like this help me?
Thank you!!!
:angel:

Patti

Dish VIP722k HD box and DVD recorder???

Before we got the HD receiver I could record movies off the DVR onto DVD's, now we can't seem to get it to work. :confused:

My husband has tried quite a few things but to be honest he's so busy working lately and I really want to record a lot the Christmas movies coming on for the Grandchildren.

Can anyone who is a Pro at things like this help me Please?
Thank you!!!

Patti

Composite out

Before we got the HD receiver I could record movies off the DVR onto DVD's, now we can't seem to get it to work. :confused:

My husband has tried quite a few things but to be honest he's so busy working lately and I really want to record a lot the Christmas movies coming on for the Grandchildren.

Can anyone who is a Pro at things like this help me Please?
Thank you!!!

Patti

You have to come out of the composite output of the 722k (yellow= video, white= left, & red= right audio). To the input of the the DVD recorder input. Then you can record in real time to the DVD.

When you say Real time...do you mean I can record movies I recorded on the dish DVR to DVD's like I used to do before we got the Dish HD receiver?

It should work just like with your SD Dish box. You will want to take care with the format of the video when you record it to DVD depending upon if you want black bands at the top and bottom or if you want the entire screen filled for when you play it back on your TV. For HD channels, I recommend recording at Normal format, then on playback, use your TV's "Wide/Zoom" to fill the screen. For SD channels, I would experiment the format output and see how well it looks when the Dish box zooms it and when your TV zooms it.

In fact, it is best if you experiment with recording in various format outputs before you record something you want to keep. Then you will be pleased with all future recordings.

You have to come out of the composite output of the 722k (yellow= video, white= left, & red= right audio). To the input of the the DVD recorder input. Then you can record in real time to the DVD.

Thank you, works like a charm and I can now record all the Christmas movies from the DVR to DVD's.
:angel:

Since this question is not related to HD DVD, I am moving the post to The Dish Network - Technical Discussions forum. It will be easier to get your question answered there.

I ran the cables through the DVD recorder as instructed above. I can now record and watch dvd's but I can't get a 1080 picture anymore.

The input for watching DVD's or recording a DVD is input Antenna A.
The TV is supposed to be on input DTV to watch dish in HD... But... if we switch to DTV it's a black and white picture and we get no audio.

I did get 2 Christmas movies recorded but my husband is NOT happy that we will lose a good picture just so I can record movies.
I'm thinking there has to be a solution because he is paying for HD and I think if I can't resolve this I'll lose the ability to record movies and shows.

Last edited:
TV?

When I ran the cables through the DVD recorder as instructed above I can now record dvd's but I can't get a 1080 picture anymore we can only watch TV with the DVD recorder on.

I did get 2 Christmas movies recorded but my husband is NOT happy that we will lose a good picture just so I can record movies.
I'm thinking there has to be a solution.

What kind of TV do you have? Is it an HDTV? If it is what connections do you have going to it? The DVD recorder should only be getting a SD picture from the composite output. You should be able to switch the TV input to the HD picture from the DVR.

We have a Mitsubishi WS-55311
It is HD ready and we have the Dish HD VIP722k DVR so we can watch it in HD.

We knew we would only get an SD picture on the DVD recorder/Player but we have lost the HD picture on the TV. (see previous post from me)

From dish I have yellow/white/red running into the recorder and the same from the recorder to antenna A and green/blue/red running to DVR input on TV.

Can't switch inputs?

The mits that you listed has 3 different component HD vid inputs plus 2 composite inputs. Can you not switch between those anymore? I looked up the service manual on line and it showed me the different sets of inputs on the TV.

We have a Mitsubishi WS-55311
It is HD ready and we have the Dish HD VIP722k DVR so we can watch it in HD.

We knew we would only get an SD picture on the DVD recorder/Player but we have lost the HD picture on the TV. (see previous post from me)

From dish I have yellow/white/red running into the recorder and the same from the recorder to antenna A and green/blue/red running to DVR input on TV.

You should be set up like this:

Yellow, Red, White from the composite output of the DVR to the DVD recorder.

Green, Blue, Red from the DVR to any of the component inputs on the TV, along with red and white audio from the DVR to the same input on the TV.

Yellow, Red, White from the output of the DVD recorder to the composite input (yellow,red, white) of the TV.

When you want to watch HD on the TV from the DVR you must change your TV input on the TV to whichever Component input you put the component cables to on the TV. To watch recordings from the DVD recorder you must change the your TV input to the composite input.

This is going to work, try it.

Very few DVD recorder can handle a component+audio signal YPrPb+RW and none that I know can do HDMI. The 722k does not have S-video out so you are stuck with composite Y+RW still better than RF last choice. The 622/722 does have S-video, acceptable to many DVD recorders but only on TV-1.
-Ken

I want to apologize for 2 threads. My husband had requested help and I didn't see it when I also was asking for help.

I set it up using the directions from Bobby. The only problem is the audio from DVR to the DVD recorder doesn't leave me an output for the audio from the DVR to the TV.
I have to run the audio through the DVD recorder so I have to have the recorder on to get audio.

I appreciate your help.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)