need help wih sat dishes

deserteagle

Original poster
May 28, 2004
Hey Folks
I am new to dish.
I need to get actual sat Dish and switches.
It is confusing to say the least.
Here is what I have
Dish 4700 receiver
Dish 6000u Hi Def Receiver
I want to get hd and regular programming on 6000u
and regular programming on 4700

I have directv elliptical dish but that may be of no use
Please advise what dish or dishes and what switches I need.
Thanks for your time
Deserteagle :eek:

I'm thinking your best bet is to get a Legacy Dish 500 with Dual LNBFs (not DishPro!) and a pair of SW-21s, or maybe a Twin LNBF.

If you get DishPro, I think you'd need an adapter for the 4700 - dunno about the 6000.

Click here for a 2 Dual installation diagram.

Click here for a Twin installation diagram.

Click here for some pics of the LNBFs.

SimpleSimon said:
I'm thinking your best bet is to get a Legacy Dish 500 with Dual LNBFs (not DishPro!) and a pair of SW-21s, or maybe a Twin LNBF.

If you get DishPro, I think you'd need an adapter for the 4700 - dunno about the 6000.
Yup, in his case legacy would be best as BOTH receivers are legacy. I have a 6000U and need the adapter.
The only caveat would be if he needs to run the cables over 100 feet. Then he would need the Pro series and adapters for both.
Parts are easily obtainable at www.dishdepot.com and probably at many other places.

Just for my info
Where and what are sat locations and programming??

61.5 is ??
110 is??
119 is??

Thanks again
Deserteagle

For the 119 sat you aim at 207 on a compass,110 aim at 193, & 61.5 aim at 119. Your elavation depends on how far north/south you live.The middle of the USA is usually around 45 deg elevation. You should be able to enter your zip code on the point dish/signal screen in the installation menu on one of your recievers for each dish. It will then give you the azmuth( compass location),elavation,& skew for the Dish 500(no skew needed for Dish 300).

Most of the regular programming for Dish comes off of the 119 sat,high def is on the 110 sat,& I'm guessing your locals come off of the 61.5?

deserteagle said:
Just for my info
Where and what are sat locations and programming??

61.5 is ??
110 is??
119 is??

Thanks again
Deserteagle
Try www.dishchannelchart.com for that information. 119 is where most cable channels are; 110 is home to most locals, and a few cable channels in AT180 and higher packages.

Having a D* elliptical dish (traditionally used for their international services) suggests you may be looking for international channels; SkyAngel, a Christian satellite service operated by another company but using E* receivers (and orderable thru E*), is also at 61.5. But you may be in a market where E* put some of the minor locals at 61.5 (most commonly religious or Spanish broadcasters, but it varies by market). There's also a very small handful of public-interest channels at 61.5. (Voom's there too, but that's irrelevant; it requires its own receiver.)

It would help if you told us where you are; but if there ARE any locals on 61.5 in your area and you subscribe to your area's locals, E* (by FCC mandate) will install the second dish, and any necessary switches, 100% free of charge--even if you actually use it for internationals, SkyAngel, etc. instead of minor locals.

As far as your D* elliptical dish, is it an original DirecTV Plus dish with two or three separate LNBs? Or is it one of the newer "Phase 3" or "Multisatellite" dishes using a single LNB with three feedhorns and a built-in switch?

Chuckster said:
For the 119 sat you aim at 207 on a compass,110 aim at 193, & 61.5 aim at 119. Your elavation depends on how far north/south you live.The middle of the USA is usually around 45 deg elevation. You should be able to enter your zip code on the point dish/signal screen in the installation menu on one of your recievers for each dish. It will then give you the azmuth( compass location),elavation,& skew for the Dish 500(no skew needed for Dish 300).

Most of the regular programming for Dish comes off of the 119 sat,high def is on the 110 sat,& I'm guessing your locals come off of the 61.5?
I don't understand why you gave 3 azimuth values (that are probably for your own location) and then tell him correctly to use the Point Dish screen to get the proper values.

deserteagle: The link you gave is a correct one for SOME installations. IT all varies by LNBF type. At this point, until we know where you are, let's not worry about the 3rd satellite - it may be problematic to try and get it - by your handle, I'm guessing you're in the west, and 61.5 is low in the sky - maybe too low for you to receive it. We just don't know yet.

Chuckster and RP,

I just want USA channels, I don,t really care that much about locals. It would be nice to get abc bnc in any city. I am in Wash DC area.
So it would sound like I need the dish 500 with dual lnb and I can feed one reciever with HD and reg Dish programming and the other with either or both.
Does this sound correct?
Re RP's ?
My elipital directv dish has 3 sinle lnbs with 2 coax feeds on each lnb.
I also have a 20inch directv dish which is probably useless with one dual lnb.

So bottom line is it looks like I need this:
Legacy Dish 500 with 2 dual LNB's "NOT DISH PRO" and
two SW21 switches
Does this souind correct???
Thanks Guys
Deserteagle

Simon,
I am in Frederick MD at zip 21701.
I only want HD and regular sat programming.
If I can get some locals that would be nice, but if
I can get abc nbc in other areas I dont care.
Its not worth two dishes.
See other post above.
Does this sound like what I need.
Legacy dish 500 with 2 (NON DP) dual lnbs and
2 sw21 switches??
I appreciate the help a lot
Deserteagle

deserteagle said:
Hey Simon and Grandude,
I am being told I need to hit sats 110, 119 and 61.5
and I need a 300 and 500 dish with switches

Like this:
http://www.bellexpress.vu/images/sw42cascade.jpg
Is this correct???
This is way too confusing.
Can I use my old directv 20 inch dish or my directv elliptical dish.
Please help
Deserteagle
Some official Dish installation diagrams are also located here: http://www.dishnetwork.com/content/products/installation/install_diagrams/index.shtml
Sorry, I have no experience with converting or using DirectTV dishes in a
DishNetwork system. My gut feeling is that they are the same as Legacy LNBs (the heads that face the dish) so would work but I would suspect that the elliptical dish from DirectTV might be a different dimension and cause you problems in trying to pick up 110 and 119 with it.
If I had the hardware, I surely would give it the old college try.

Grandude
At this pint I am going to keep my directv ellitical in garage
In case I decide to switch back and get a new dish 500?
I know should work with Dish.
At least that will take one possible problem out of the set up.
I am doing all myself as I dont trust most "Cable Guys" in this area.
Thanks for the help
Deserteagle

So Guys:

Does the Dish 500 legacy with 2 dual non DP LNB's and
two SW21's sound correct?

Also where is a reputable dealer other than e bay I can get this
or is e bay it?

Thanks as usual
Deserteagle

You only need the 61.5 dish for some secondary locals. If you get set up and add the locals package, Dish will do that for you at no charge. the first time the installer comes out he'll probably bring a DishPro 2nd Dish and have to come back with a Legacy model. :)

You can use either 2 Duals with SW21's or a Twin - refer back to Post #2.

I know nothing about trying to make a D* dish work for this, but RBB seems to have an idea that might save you some money.

deserteagle said:
So Guys:

or is e bay it?

Deserteagle
Sounds like a good plan to me.
I buy my hardware from www.dishdepot.com but am sure there are
other dealers out there.

Oh man, I apologize for replying to this thread when I wasn't quite fully awake yet this morning. :eek: Perhaps I should drink some coffee first before I post, or go back to lurking. :yes Anyway, deserteagle, I did give azmuth locations from my home area. Simple Simon corrected my error. Sorry if I caused any confusion.

I'm not sure, but a Dish legacy twin LNB might be less than 2 dual LNB's & 2 legacy 21 switches?

Chuckster said:
... I'm not sure, but a Dish legacy twin LNB might be less than 2 dual LNB's & 2 legacy 21 switches?
I agree - and using a Twin makes it easier to add a 3rd satellite later - just add a dish with a Dual LNBF & SW-21's at that time.

Chuckster said:
I'm not sure, but a Dish legacy twin LNB might be less than 2 dual LNB's & 2 legacy 21 switches?
Not positive, I thought that would be a better idea too, but I checked a couple of suppliers and couldn't find a legacy twin so suspect that they never made any that way. Sooooooo, if that is the case, he will need to get the duals unless he wants to switch over to Pro but then he would need to get two Pro adapters for his receivers.

deserteagle said:
So Guys:

or is e bay it?

Thanks as usual
Deserteagle
Just another thought. I don't know if the Dish500 comes with a Y adapter for two dual LNBs so you might check on this when ordering. Dishdepot list it for sale at $14.95. I just want to make sure you have everything you need when you begin your installation.

RBBrittain said:
Having a D* elliptical dish (traditionally used for their international services) suggests you may be looking for international channels;
Or, that the previous homeowner left their D* elliptical dish and the new owner may have no interest in international channels...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)