Need help with angles

mjknight

Original poster
Oct 5, 2010
Michigan
I purchased an eastern LNB for my dad's 1000.2 dish because the trees are in the way now for him to stick with Western. I purchased the latest eastern LNB for it. When we try to dial it in with a signal finder on it, we can't get the satellites for some reason. The finder says it's right on but according to the receiver, it's not. I thought I read somewhere to use 1000.4EA angles even though it's a 1000.2 dish. So if I use 1000.4EA (48867 zip code) according to Dish's website, it says EL - 39, SK - 77 and AZ - 168. If I use 1000.2EA, it says EL - 38, SK - 75 and AZ-164. He lives in a trailer park so we checked another dish set up and they are using EL - 40 and SK - 76.

I also downloaded the dishpointer app and checked it on their website (exactly at his house) and that says for 61.5W only it's EL - 35.4. For all 3 (61.5, 72.7 and 77) on 1000.4 that says EL - 39.

I'm baffled on why we can't get this signaled in. I did take the receiver and hooked it up at my house. I programmed it in to the EA as this is what I have. At least now, I don't have to do a check switch as this was a problem before. No matter where we put the dish, it took forever for it to go through the 1 of 3 and even then, we had to cancel it because it was taking over an hour with it being stuck. I did unplug and did it all over again so we gave up and I brought it to my house to at least get that part done. Now, we just need to get the angles right.

Any help with what we should be dialing it into would be appreciated.

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 85
Does your dad have a Hopper?? That's a Hybrid LNBF for a Hopper

For an EA 1000.2, settings are
AZ - 164Elevation - 38Skew - 75
Your best bet, if using a meter is to point it in with the 61.5. It's too easy to accidentally hit the 77 if you're trying for the 72

No he doesn't have a hopper. He has a 211k. I was told that I could use this lnb as long as it wasn't with a hopper as it can go backwards.

So I should use the 1000.2 instead of 1000.4? Dishpointer doesn't even have a EA for 1000.2 to go by.

The finder says it's right on
What type of meter? Is it able to show the satellite being aimed at? Is it even dish hybrid compatible?
I also downloaded the dishpointer app and checked it on their website (exactly at his house) and that says for 61.5W only it's EL - 35.4. For all 3 (61.5, 72.7 and 77) on 1000.4 that says EL - 39.
That’s because the manual and webpage has the EL,SK,AZ for 72.7, not 61.5. The order if you are looking directly into the “eyes” part of the LNB is 72.7/61.5, and for 1000.4 it’s 77/72.7/61.5. Both use 72.7 for alignment.

Depending on your signal meter, what I would do is as HipKat says, look for 61.5 on the second LNB, if your meter can switch ports you can do that but if not you could change the meter to port 2 on the LNB and try to get 61.5 dialed in.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Like Hipkat said that's a hybrid LNB for a hopper...It won't work on a 211 receiver.. Someone told you incorrectly
I disgree with that statement. I think the 211 and VIP receivers will work fine on a hybrid LNB. Of course if you plug in an H3, those other port will stop working.

I have no idea if an H1 and H2 will cause that to happen too. IIRC, someone here told us that the Duo also shut off the extra port, which makes no sense to anybody since it only has 2 tuners.

Still can't get it pointed correctly! We've tried everything. We got a great signal once then it went out. We've set up dishes quite a few times before and never had this many issues. At our wits end with it.

As for the lnb, I can hook up our other 211 at home and we have a hopper system. Granted, we don't have them both running at the same time. Would this be a reason we can't get a signal?

Like Hipkat said that's a hybrid LNB for a hopper...It won't work on a 211 receiver.. Someone told you incorrectly
I have no idea if an H1 and H2 will cause that to happen too. IIRC, someone here told us that the Duo also shut off the extra port, which makes no sense to anybody since it only has 2 tuners.
Hybrid LNBs can operate in DP, DPP, and DPH mode. I have gone as far as connecting a 322 to a WA hybrid LNB, and it worked (it did not identify the switch of course, but it acquired signal and had programing play just fine before I called in to change it for a Wally).

The secondary port on a Hybrid LNB will only disable itself if port 1 has either a Hybrid receiver (DPH: Hopper 3) or channel stacked receiver (DPZ: Wally/Hopper Duo). If you are on a Hopper 1/2 or ViP, you can use both ports as if it was a DPP LNB no problem and you would only need a hybrid solo/duo hub depending on what you have/intend to do. It also integrates the functionality of the Node so just one cable can get you all 3 tuners.

We went through this here as well for reference, in post #10 I have a pic of a 211z running on port #2 while there is a Hopper1 on port #1, no problem.

I disgree with that statement. I think the 211 and VIP receivers will work fine on a hybrid LNB. Of course if you plug in an H3, those other port will stop working.

True, only the Wallys, Hopper 3 and Duo "turn off" the 2nd port and that LNB will work with a 211. It's not by design, but it will work

I purchased an eastern LNB for my dad's 1000.2 dish because the trees are in the way now for him to stick with Western. I purchased the latest eastern LNB for it. When we try to dial it in with a signal finder on it, we can't get the satellites for some reason. The finder says it's right on but according to the receiver, it's not. I thought I read somewhere to use 1000.4EA angles even though it's a 1000.2 dish. So if I use 1000.4EA (48867 zip code) according to Dish's website, it says EL - 39, SK - 77 and AZ - 168. If I use 1000.2EA, it says EL - 38, SK - 75 and AZ-164. He lives in a trailer park so we checked another dish set up and they are using EL - 40 and SK - 76.

I'm baffled on why we can't get this signaled in. I did take the receiver and hooked it up at my house. I programmed it in to the EA as this is what I have. At least now, I don't have to do a check switch as this was a problem before. No matter where we put the dish, it took forever for it to go through the 1 of 3 and even then, we had to cancel it because it was taking over an hour with it being stuck. I did unplug and did it all over again so we gave up and I brought it to my house to at least get that part done. Now, we just need to get the angles right.

Any help with what we should be dialing it into would be appreciated.
Alright, few ideas and some questions here.

1. Are you 100% sure it is a 1000.2 Dish? This is very important because it would be very difficult to get signal to a hybrid LNB on a 1000.4 dish without a meter because they aren't meant to work on them.

2. Never heard of using 1000.4 angles for a 1000.2 dish and I'm an installer myself. Maybe just something I don't know about but 1000.2 angles from the actual Dish website seem to be accurate, just not fine tuned.

3. When adjusting the dish, either push up on the front so it is at the correct elevation or raise the elevation setting in order to counteract that it will fall forward whenever the back 2 bolts are loosened.

4. Is the "Frankenstein" bolt (the long one that goes through the whole back support, above the 2 bolts in the very back) tightened? If so, this could be throwing you off.

5. How are you checking this signal? Receivers unfortunately tend to not accurately update signals until a check switch is ran, so if you're just inside on the 6->1->1 page, it's not going to update even if you get a signal unless it sits for a while. Try to point it and then run a check switch to see what you get.

Sent from my moto g fast using Tapatalk

Reactions: HipKat