Need help with HD Channels

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

duckman18561

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Mar 19, 2007
I am having some trouble with the new HD channels and was wondering if anyone was having the same trouble or knew how to fix it. First off let me say I have rest my system 3 times and called direct about my trouble and was told that the new channels are being uploaded today and I should have them anytime. this is at 1:30 PM and have not read on here anyone having that problem. So far this has been my experience:

CNN-Comes and goes have had great PQ when I have it. Says Searching for Signal on Sat 2
BTN-Same
A&E-Same
Smth-Same only on Sat 1
Hist-Same
Disc-Have it for the first time today at 2:15
TLC-Same
Sci-Same
VSGF-have not had it today at all.

Any help would be appreciated. Or is anyone else having this problem???

Thanks

I assume you have the reciever set up for an oval 5 lnb dish?
If you do, what are the signal levels on the 103(b) satellite?
Are even transponders higher or lower strength than the odd ones?
Are you sure the dish is aligned correctly?
A little more info on you setup would be helpful? Diplexed lines?

B-band converter working correctly?
Go to channels 480 and 481 to test converter and then 498 you should see congrats screen.

Rupert, this may be a stupid question. But, I do get the congrats screen on 498. However, I get the ok for the converter on 480, but a searching for sat signal message on 481. Does that mean I have one bad converter?

Ok i swapped my B Band and now everything is messed up on Sat 1 103 (b) Tuner 1 all 0's Tuner 2 mid 90's with a low of 86 on TP 11 480 seaching for signal on sat 1 481 103 B Band even 18V BBC 498 looking for Sat 1

One channel tests the even transponders and the other channel test the odd transponders on the satellite. Each BBC should pick up both odd and even. If you have 2 tuners in your reciever, do you see a difference between the tuners?

i will give them a call and hope it fixes it thanks alot for the help!!!

ive already done that and it did i think if tuner 1 and tuner 2 are sat 1 and sat 2, then yes everything went from being a problem on sat 2 to sat 1

Ok i swapped my B Band and now everything is messed up on Sat 1 103 (b) Tuner 1 all 0's Tuner 2 mid 90's with a low of 86 on TP 11 480 seaching for signal on sat 1 481 103 B Band even 18V BBC 498 looking for Sat 1
I had the same issuie until I took the diplexer and splitter off from my OTA. Do you have an OTA?

Sharing this experience, in case it helps others:

At first, I was getting none of the new HD stations - only the 771 'searching for satellite' error message. Weirdly, the 498 test channel was working perfectly through yesterday - and then it wasn't working at all. Multiple resets and customer service couldn't resolve it; a tech was scheduled to be here Friday morning.

Then, it occured to me that I was recording something during all of that experimenting. When the recording stopped, some of the new HD stations arrived.

Eureka!

Following suggestions posted in other threads, I went to channels 480 and 481 to test the B-Band Converters. The result: good signal on 480, bad signal on 481. Guess I need a new BBC, which I sure hope the tech has when he arrives Friday.

Last edited:
Sharing this experience, in case it helps others:

At first, I was getting none of the new HD stations - only the 771 'searching for satellite' error message. Weirdly, the 498 test channel was working perfectly through yesterday - and then it wasn't working at all. Multiple resets and customer service couldn't resolve it; a tech was scheduled to be here Friday morning.

Then, it occured to me that I was recording something during all of that experimenting. When the recording stopped, some of the new HD stations arrived.

Eureka!

Following suggestions posted in other threads, I went to channels 480 and 481 to test the B-Band Converters. The result: good signal on 480, bad signal on 481. Guess I need a new BBC, which I sure hope the tech has when he arrives Friday.

This experience I related raises a question that I acknowledge must be very fundamental, but here goes:

How come with one good BBC on one sat line/tuner and an apparently bad BBC on the other sat line/tuner, I'm only getting some of the new HD stations, while other stations still search for a signal? Don't the two sat lines/tuners merely mirror each other, so that you can do two things at once with the receiver/recorder?

Asked another way, if I'm not recording something and I'm just scrolling through stations, isn't only one tuner (the same tuner) being used throughout that process?

This experience I related raises a question that I acknowledge must be very fundamental, but here goes:

How come with one good BBC on one sat line/tuner and an apparently bad BBC on the other sat line/tuner, I'm only getting some of the new HD stations, while other stations still search for a signal? Don't the two sat lines/tuners merely mirror each other, so that you can do two things at once with the receiver/recorder?

Asked another way, if I'm not recording something and I'm just scrolling through stations, isn't only one tuner (the same tuner) being used throughout that process?

As I understand it, the box will actually switch tuners while you're flipping around. Maybe someone else can give a better explanation of why/how that works...

Are you always having problems with the same channels? Or does it seem to be intermittent? Intermittent would indicate (to me, at least) a problem with a BBC, but if it's the same channels all the time it might be a different problem - not getting even/odd transponder, authorization problem, etc.

just had another occurence of searching for sat on my hr20-700, previously i reset and all seemed to come back, this time i thought i would try a different approach. first i swapped cables going into the bbc's,,, no difference, then i lightly tapped the bbc, and the picture appeared immediately.... you might want to try this next time before you start swapping cables and resetting the box.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts