Need help with Off air connection to Dish500

Punzzy

Original poster
Sep 10, 2005
I'm real new at this stuff, so be easy with the terminology. I want to connect an off air antenna to my dish 500 but don't want to run new coax cables to my receiver. I tried one that wraps around the dish and the instructions were pretty simple and I successfully hooked it up. But I'm not getting all the channels available, the ones that do come in are pretty good. How do I hook up one of those directional antennas (like that terk hdtvo) to the dish 500? Or can't I?

You probably need a roof top antenna. Go to antennaweb.org to see what channels you can realistically receive. After you choose an antenna you'll need to diplex it into the sat line at the dish and un-diplex it at the receiver.

A diplexer looks like a splitter but it basically combines the satellite and off air signals so you can use one cable. You must have the diplexers in place if you were using the clip on.

Another option (if you're close enough to the trasmitter) is an indoor antenna such as the Zenith Silver Sensor (UHF only).

You'd have to cut the sat line and put an F-connector on the fresh cuts. How did the clip on antenna signal get into the house?

I have a Philips MANT910 clip on. I disconnected the coax cables from the dish's LNB and reconnected to terminals marked "out" on the MANT910. Then I connected coax cables from the dish's LNB outputs to the MANT910 terminal marked "in". At the two receivers that I have, I connected a diplexer that came with the MANT910. :shocked

I think I remember another unconnected terminal in the Dish LNB. Could this be where I could connect an off air antenna?

I just looked at the dish again and the free terminal says "LNB in". Could this be where I connect an off air antenna?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)