Need Help With Reciever Issue...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Weezknight

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 10, 2006
Philly 'Burbs, PA
I'm an E* sub, but my parents have been with DirecTV since the PrimeStar days, so I'm not to sure how things work with DirecTV.

A few years back they purchased one of the RCA (TiVO) DVR's, but recently it has started giving up the ghost.

They are looking to replace it, but it seems everywhere we look the vendors only sell the receivers as "Lease Upgrades." Since they've always owned their receivers they are very hesitant to suddenly have to pay $100, plus a monthly lease fee for something they won't own.

Is there anyplace that sells DirecTV receivers outright to own, either stores or online? I'd like to help them out. TIA.

I would suggest they check with D* directly, as they may not have to pay the $100 upgrade fee. As far as the monthly lease fee goes, that is paid on any receiver AFTER the first one on the account, regardless of whether or not you own it. If you own it, it's called an additional receiver fee and if you lease it it is called a lease fee. Same amount, different name.

The thing with the leased receivers is that they will be subject to a two year contract if they lease the receiver.

I'm an E* sub, but my parents have been with DirecTV since the PrimeStar days, so I'm not to sure how things work with DirecTV.

A few years back they purchased one of the RCA (TiVO) DVR's, but recently it has started giving up the ghost.

They are looking to replace it, but it seems everywhere we look the vendors only sell the receivers as "Lease Upgrades." Since they've always owned their receivers they are very hesitant to suddenly have to pay $100, plus a monthly lease fee for something they won't own.

Is there anyplace that sells DirecTV receivers outright to own, either stores or online? I'd like to help them out. TIA.
Have your parents sign up for the protection plan. D* will replace the TiVo free and replacements under the protection plan are owned. Even if your parents were to lease a new receiver they wouldn't be paying more the lease fee dosen't come on the 1st receiver or on additional receivers the lease fee replaces the additional receiver fee.

Weezknight,
The other nice thing about leaseing is if there is a problem with the rec, D* takes care of it. If you own it, it's up to you to find a replacement out of your pocket.

Thanks for the information guys.

I looked at their bill today. It's not as detailed as my E* bill so I'm not even sure if they are being charged any sort of mirroring fee.

All their bill says is:

Premier Monthly 99.99
DVR Service (Included in base pkg.) 0.00

They have 2 receivers that they currently own, 1 is the DVR they are looking to replace.

It looks like they're going to have to end up paying more because of the lease program, or they may switch to another service.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts