Need info 722 vs. 722k

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Grandpa J

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
May 24, 2004
Camarillo, CA
Upgrading from a 622. Hopper/Joey set-up too much extra $ for a retired single guy as I have 3 HD TVs (living room, kitchen, bedroom) So I'll stick with one HD for main viewing and TV2 SD for others.

However I want to be able to stream “Blockbuster To Go” from wireless broad band router and get the 3D channel. I’m told the 622 cannot handle 3D so it looks like I need a 722 or 722k.

I would like to know the difference between the 722 and 722k. My research indicates –
a) 722 has built-in OTA tuner v. 722k that requires purchase of an 2 tuner OTA module
b) 722k has a built-in wireless v. 722 that does not
c) Hard disk space is the same on both models
d) I’ve seen posting that there is trouble with 722k OTA tuners, I don’t if 722 has the same trouble.

Is this information correct and/or is there something(s) else I should be aware of.

Thanks

Things you should consider, the Hopper will have three tuners and would allow your second and third tv's to view different programing and in HD, neither 722 will do that. If you do not have ota, really doesn't matter which receiver you go with. Problems with the 722's are not as widespread as with the other receivers.

The K model will allow you to save your timers to the remote, incase you need to replace receivers.

Thank you garys, but as I live alone I do not need different programs on different TVs, I do get OTA signals and in retirement money does count.

But I would like to know the answers to the 4 questions (a to d).

b) 722k has a built-in wireless v. 722 that does not
Neither has built in wireless - both use the USB adapter.

Only obvious difference is the OTA support as you have listed and settings backup to the remote.

Unless the extra OTA tuner is really important, I wouldn't worry about it. I have both and have kept the 722 a my primary receiver, only because they are so close I don't really have a preference and it's not worth taking the time to move them around.

Dish has no 3D channels at this time, only a one or two downloaded VOD movies at any particular time. There is no 3D BB @ Home content at this time.

722 built-in OTA tuner can not be accessed from TV2 (you can set timers from TV1 and then watch the OTA DVR recordings from TV2, though)

The 722 is very similar to your 622 except that it (1) has a larger disk, (2) is black, (3) has true adaptive streaming, (4) and can take the Sling Adapter. Since your TV2 output and OTA is important, consider the 722k since it can display OTA channels live on the TV2 output.

a) Correct.
b) Neither has wireless without the dongle. Both have homeplug like your 622.
c) Correct. 500GB disk.
d) Many 722k owners have reported their receivers freezing and requiring a reboot. :( My 722 on L722 hasn't done this.

Meaning, IMO, that he doesn't care that the TV2 SD feed is split to the 2 other SD TVs. :)

Thank you everyone. All these answers really helped me. I don't use dual mode. However I now see/understand that the 722k will provide all the features I need at least until (if ever) the pricing on Hooper/Joeys comes down.

As always the people on this site are the best!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts