Need Info on Coax configuration in new House build

GregONeal

Original poster
Feb 17, 2023
We are in the process of having our house built and the electrician has yet to do their thing which I think will include running Coax for TVs. I know where I want each TV but need to know about the actual coax configuration. Basically, we are going with Dish and we will have one main TV in the Great Room and 3 other TVs in other rooms. We want to be able to watch different channels on each TV if so desired. We're really not interested in having a DVR as we have one now and don't use it.
My first question is, do we tell the electrician that we need 1) the 3 other TV cables run to the central point in the Great Room and then One coax run from there to the outside location where the Dish will be installed or 2) Coax cables from each of the 4 TVs run to the outside location where the Dish will be installed?
Secondly, since we don't have to have a DVR system, should I buy a Wally and 3 of the VIP 211z receivers for this configuration?

Yes, a star configuration to each TV with two coax. One for Dish, one for an OTA antenna. Assuming you can get OTA there.

And cat 6 to every room, each wall plate with at least two drops (think four opening wall plate- 2 coax, 2 cat 6). And for some rooms, maybe an extra duo wall plate for wired Internet. Yes, wireless is coming on strong, but wired will be better and with us for many years to come.

Each TV may need 2 coax, and likely an Internet connection for updates and streaming. Dish boxes and optical disc players will need updates, and maybe streaming.

Many appliances use wired or wireless Internet connections: Range, refrigerator, dish washer, Echo and similar devices. Even some toilets (or so I hear- haven’t seen one). And things they haven’t thought of yet.

So make sure you have a good router, fast and strong. Maybe plan on a (maybe wired) mesh system from day one.

MUCH easier and cheaper to do during build out than to retrofit later.

Good luck- and we’re happy to help.

I wish I would have pulled two coax to every PLANNED location for a TV.
I wish I would have pulled two coax to every wall OPPOSITE the planned locations (because you might rearrange furniture in the future).
Two Cat6 to every planned location for TV.
One Cat6 to every other wall.
One Cat6 and one (prefer two) coax from wherever your "central" point is to your attic.
A power outlet in the attic near where those cables end.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Here is how I would do it.

You want all coax wiring for each individual receiver in the home to go to a centralized location, regardless of if you are going for DVR receivers or not. And what I mean by centralized location is not necessarily the Great Room, it could be an attic or basement in the new home or even outside near the satellite dish. This location with the switch (I will use a DPP44 as an example) needs to have two or three coax runs to the satellite dish depending on your market (either 61.5/72 or 110/119/129), I would run three or four runs if you are not sure and the others can serve as backups. From there, only one coax cable to each room you want will suffice.

If you really want OTA locals in each room and are going for Wally/211’s, a second coax run would be redundant. Wally’s do not support MoCA, locals can be put on the same wires with the use of Diplexers. Make sure to add an extra coax run from the centralized location to the outside if you do need OTA.

I would personally make the centralized location somewhere indoors, because the required switches will mean you will have plenty of connectors and points of failure that would do better if they were not exposed to weather. They will be fine for a few years if placed outside, but why do that if you can avoid it.

And finally as far as networking goes (OP never asked but everyone is giving their recommendations anyway) I would just run a single Cat6a (the A is important for future 1+Gbit networking at long distances) to every room, if further expansion is needed a simple gigabit switch per room will do. Most wireless mesh adaptors support wired backhauling as well so they can have their dedicated line if necessary.

I wish I would have pulled two coax to every PLANNED location for a TV.
I wish I would have pulled two coax to every wall OPPOSITE the planned locations (because you might rearrange furniture in the future).
Two Cat6 to every planned location for TV.
One Cat6 to every other wall.
One Cat6 and one (prefer two) coax from wherever your "central" point is to your attic.
A power outlet in the attic near where those cables end.
Nice, except I think each drop should have at least two cats.

Here is how I would do it.

You want all coax wiring for each individual receiver in the home to go to a centralized location, regardless of if you are going for DVR receivers or not. And what I mean by centralized location is not necessarily the Great Room, it could be an attic or basement in the new home or even outside near the satellite dish. This location with the switch (I will use a DPP44 as an example) needs to have two or three coax runs to the satellite dish depending on your market (either 61.5/72 or 110/119/129), I would run three or four runs if you are not sure and the others can serve as backups. From there, only one coax cable to each room you want will suffice.

If you really want OTA locals in each room and are going for Wally/211’s, a second coax run would be redundant. Wally’s do not support MoCA, locals can be put on the same wires with the use of Diplexers. Make sure to add an extra coax run from the centralized location to the outside if you do need OTA.

I would personally make the centralized location somewhere indoors, because the required switches will mean you will have plenty of connectors and points of failure that would do better if they were not exposed to weather. They will be fine for a few years if placed outside, but why do that if you can avoid it.

And finally as far as networking goes (OP never asked but everyone is giving their recommendations anyway) I would just run a single Cat6a (the A is important for future 1+Gbit networking at long distances) to every room, if further expansion is needed a simple gigabit switch per room will do. Most wireless mesh adaptors support wired backhauling as well so they can have their dedicated line if necessary.
The Great Room would be the centralized location since this terrace apartment that we're finishing out IS actually the basement and there is no attic area for this level. The upper level is our daughter and her husband and they will be doing something similar as well.

So, if I understand you correctly the RG6 and Cat6 or Cat6a cables will be run from this central location to each of the other 3 rooms and then RG6 cables run from this central location to where the Dish will be mounted outside?

I understand that I probably can't have enough cables run inside, both to the planned locations and to the opposite wall as well.

But I never could get a straight answer from anyone at Dish as to whether the cables from each room needed to be run to the outside OR to the central location. It seems I'm getting the same two answers here as well.

The Great Room would be the centralized location since this terrace apartment that we're finishing out IS actually the basement and there is no attic area for this level. The upper level is our daughter and her husband and they will be doing something similar as well.

So, if I understand you correctly the RG6 and Cat6 or Cat6a cables will be run from this central location to each of the other 3 rooms and then RG6 cables run from this central location to where the Dish will be mounted outside?

I understand that I probably can't have enough cables run inside, both to the planned locations and to the opposite wall as well.

But I never could get a straight answer from anyone at Dish as to whether the cables from each room needed to be run to the outside OR to the central location. It seems I'm getting the same two answers here as well.
The reason I suggested opposite wall is if you decide you want to rearrange rooms in the future. I ran everything when we were building our house. If money is your sticking point and you have the time, maybe ask the electrician if you can run the lines. You would need a decent battery drill, bulk cable, "new work" boxes.

Some drops we've used and some we haven't. I ended up adding a network drop for a computer after the "office room" had to become child #3s room. We tried our master bedroom in a couple different configurations. Having the extra drops made that easier.

All of our network at coax runs go to a central point in our basement. There are also two coax runs from there to outside for the dish (one coax runs goes to the attic for the OTA antenna).

Greg; I know how important it is to try not to go over budget when you built a house. Been there.
Running extra cables for future needs is the most urgent thing. The electrician or you will drill the studs once and run 3-4 cables at the same time. If you ever need or want to sell the house telling a potential buyer 'every room is wired for satellite/cable, ota and Internet' is a huge advantage.
Good luck. Let us know what you are doing.

I think running that much cable to that many locations is a waste of time.
People almost never rearrange bedrooms, dining rooms and offices. Plus wireless technology means less coax is required.
Cat 5 can work in place of coax in some situations.
Also, the homerun point being in a basement (NEVER an attack, please) is much better looking than outside, BUT, if you do set up a homerun inside, I would have 4 Coax cables running outside still and I would make sure I had the Fiber line Fiber Optic companies use run from outside to a centralized location where you could put a Router if you go that way for the internet.

The 4 Coaxes would cover you for Satellite TV and Cable/Satellite internet and use a large Homerun/Cable enclosure to look neat and hide any hardware that has to be outside

But would they if they had more options (if the cables aren't in a certain spot, you can't put computer (barring wireless), TV, sat, etc)?

It's about giving yourself (or future buyers) options down the road.
Bedrooms are typically setup around the layout of the closets and windows.

We have five bedrooms. One is used as an office. We put multiple drops on opposite walls. We have rearranged this office and the extra drops were greatly needed.

Another bedroom became our exercise room. One drop point on a longish interior wall.

We have extra drops in our MBR. Allows flexibility in locating the HT and a printer.

All drops run by me, fished thru interior walls.

One item we haven’t recommended go to these drop points is a wired telephone line. I did that- and see no need for such today. One spot for one phone is enough. If more needed, wireless.

So, is it required/better to have each of the RG6 runs out to the Dish location or is it sufficient to have a single RG6 (or maybe 2-as a backup) run from the Dish back inside to a common point where the splitter/distribution point would be? (understanding that a second RG6 might be used for OTA)