Need lots of answers, and quick!!

buckwild

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Aug 24, 2004
i recently bought a house and got the dishmover service. i ended up paying $99 cuz i'm not down with renewing contracts. anyway, when they come, which will be tommorow, will they get the old dish/switches off of my old house, or will they be bringing new ones? if they are bringing new ones, can i go get the old ones and convince/pay the installer to hook up the second dish so i can get the new voom channels at 61.5? would there be more involved in doing this than i foresee, i.e. the need for a dpp44?

i already have 2 dp34's, and i will have an 811 and a 510 (which i hope to someday replace with a 942 or 962) in my basement, and a 522 in the bedroom. also, how much would the installer charge for this additional work? would it be cheaper for me to just do the $100 second dish deal? does this include a dpp44? i tried to call and combine these 2 work orders (dishmover and second dish) but after arguing with an inept CSR supervisor, they insisted i must have the second dish added after the dishmover is performed. wouldnt it save the installer alot of work if he could put in the dpp44 during the initial install, because they will be unable to use any of the current wiring in the house.

also, i want to get an additional 522 off ebay, but what will happen to it when mpeg4 is here? any and all help is appreciated. i need answers quick, my installer will be here tommorow!!

80 views and no replies? someone has to have the answer to at least one of my questions. anyone?

I don't know about the dish mover program.

Concerning MPEG4. No one knows for sure yet. All dish receivers will have to be replaced to be MPEG4 compatible.

Charlie has said HD will move to MPEG4 first. Starting in the 4th quarter. When the SD channels will move no one knows.

There will be several years where MPEG2 & MPEG4 are broadcast.

Will they be bringing old switches and dishes from the old house?

No.

The whole idea behind Dishmover is that your old house is now wired and ready to get Dish service. The new occupants only need to buy a receiver and they are ready to go!

Can you still bring your old ones?

Yes. Especially if you are paying for the new one. However any extra installation and switches necessary will also cost extra.

How much? I don't know. Perhaps an installer here will give you an idea.

Dish does not have the capability to have two work orders open at the same time. It's crazy but true. The only way to combine the two requests is to cancel your current work order and rewrite the order. This would force a reschedule of your current installation.

Hope this helps!

See ya
Tony

thanks guys for your replies.

mwgiii:
so then my question is: will dish replace/upgrade owned equipment when necessary?

TNGTony:
i asked about the cancelling and rescheduling; the csr said that was impossible as well.

anyone with anything else to add would be welcome. thx.

All receivers will eventually be replaced.

When? Charlie said on his earnings call transition to MPEG4 will start late this year and will continue into 2006 & 2007.

Cost? No one knows yet, although Charlie said they were looking at making the customer fund part of the upgrade.

Let them do the install and take you old dish and switches from your old place and do the 61.5 install yourself saves you money. Ask the install if he could give you some messenger cable, second ground block and go to home depot get so cement and a line post and get to work. Second option ask the installer for a few extra dollars on the side to install a second roof mast(if you dish 500 goes on the roof) and run a line from that mast to your ground block location. Which every way you choose you won't spent nearly $99. Also look for a DP dual some where for that old dish 500. Just my 2 cents

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)