Need more advanced FTA knowledge/advice

Status
Please reply by conversation.

elentex

Original poster
May 17, 2011
For a long time, I've been setting up FTA systems for friends to help them get programs on G19. I've learned a lot about it by hit and miss, but haven't ever discussed the technical aspects with anyone, so some of the information referred to here is over my head.

We've moved to a more remote area where mountains prevent OTA reception without major labor and expense. We cancelled Dish Network and use our DSL a lot, but streaming video doesn't always cut it. I have my dish set on G19 with a GeoSat Pro DVR 1000ci. Also have a working ViewSat Pro receiver, but I haven't used it much.

I would like to be able to get network news feeds--particularly NBC and PBS would be nice. In the past, when I've run across channels like History and Biography, I've never been able to get any reception. From what I've read here, I haven't had the right receiver to pick those up. At the time I had thought they were scrambled. Apparently, I will need a more advanced receiver to bring in the channels I want. I'm aware of the different programming on satellites--I've seen The List here and other listings. I'm aware of the choices between going with stationary dishes pointed at different satellites or putting one on a rotar. Trees are not an issue at my location, but I'm not sure which option I'll go with. I'll probably point at a few satellites and see how I like what I get before making the final decision. I know there's quite a bit of programming available, but would mainly like an option to the internet and streaming video sometimes.

What receivers should I look at for picking up the channels I want? (Please suggest brands.) Our currently TV is analog, though we've considered getting a new digital. That's never been an issue with our receivers and the programming on G19. If the answer includes getting a digital receiver, what is involved in getting reception on our TV? Would we need a box? If there's much expense, we might as well invest in the digital TV instead.

Would appreciate your help in sorting this out. I'm open to reading info in other places here, if you can give me a link to answers that are in terms I can understand.

Thanks much

There's no reason you shouldn't have been able to pick up History and Biography on any old receiver. Maybe you were trying the channels listed under those names, instead of "ENC11_TEST" and "ENC13_TEST"?

I think you can still get some of the PBS feeds with an old receiver, but you'd get more of them with an HD receiver. (And even some of them that aren't HD are DVB-S2 and MPEG4, which an HD receiver will take care of.) Some HD receivers will convert them to standard definition for an old TV, although none of them have coaxial outputs. (If your TV has a yellow RCA jack, they'll work with that.) The NBC feeds on 72W are available with any receiver, but they're not broadcast-ready feeds, they're just for their people in the field to see what's live on the channel, so they're not guaranteed to be there all the time, or be the same channels all the time. The ones on 103W are there in primetime every night, but they're all DVB-S2 and HD.

I would NOT buy an HD receiver right now! To the best of my knowledge, virtually all of them have bugs to a greater or lesser degree. Wait for the new GeoSatPro receiver next month, which is not only supposed to be bug-free, but also fairly cheap.

Second what Jim said! Also, you do know that you can get even more channels with a big C-band dish? If you're in a location that doesn't prohibit them, you may want to keep an eye out for a give-away dish in your area. There's sometimes good bargains (like for free) on big dishes that people don't use any more, they just want them GONE in some cases. So it never hurts to ask. Maybe once you get your ku system the way you like it, you may want to add a c-band setup. Any fta receiver will also pick up c-band too, so once you get the new receiver you want, you'll be ready to add to it with cband. 6' dish will work, but 8-10' is better.

Here in mid-Mo I get the c band stations ; ... abc , nbc , fox & cw from the virgin islands with a 36" x 30" primestar dish off 99w sat , (abc's HD but not dvb s-2) , you can get them on older receviers , the wht /lesea ch's on that sat have alot of good old shows worth watching too . Just started enjoying them myself , thought I'd suggest it as a possible help .

Didn't know that a Ku receiver could also get C-band. I've been reading about it and know where there's a large dish that looks like its idle. Hmmmm. . .sounds interesting! I may need to pay those folks a visit.

PBS and NBC feeds on Ku

There are plenty of PBS channels on 125w, and 4 NBC feeds on 72w. Any receiver will get the SD NBC feeds. The PBS channels have AC3 sound, which some older receivers will not decode; and some are HD which requires a HD receiver.

The NBC feeds are not up all the time, and may include The Weather Channel, MSNBC, CNBC, and regular network programming.

Suggest you consult "The List" on this website for specific channels available.

Most of the better English language channels/feeds are on C-band, one exception being all the PBS channels on 125w Ku.

Quite a few different model BUD's work very well on Ku. A dual band feed (LNBF) is usually used. An FTA receiver that receives Ku will also receive C band, as long as the dish is large enough and a C band LNB is used. Take some pictures of the dish, look for a brand name/sticker. Some one here most likely has experience with it.
BUD, Big Ugly, no, Useful Dish. 6 ft or more across.

Didn't know that a Ku receiver could also get C-band. I've been reading about it and know where there's a large dish that looks like its idle. Hmmmm. . .sounds interesting! I may need to pay those folks a visit.

Will the larger C-band dish pick up Ku, too?

There you go. Free C-band dishes are everywhere. To pick up KU on a big dish you need a solid dish or a fine mesh, or perforated dish with holes too small to fit a pencil through. I found transplanting an old dish to be a lot of fun. A learning experience.
Check the link in my signature to see my story of the Big 10' Winegard

Have acquired a 92" DynaMesh dish with a SuperJack II Actuator attached. I want to refurbish it. Half of the mesh is missing and what is there needs replaced. Where can I get the mesh? From what I've read, I won't use the actuator with the MicroHD receiver I plan to purchase. Were those used to rotate the dish with the old receivers? Could use some advice about how to go about this project. Suggestions about what LNB to use would be appreciated, too.

I have several piles of those mesh panels left over from damaged dishes and things gifted to me. If you'll get me some measurements I can check to see if any of these I have are big enough to trim into your size panel. If you can take an old panel out in good enough shape to measure, get me length, width at the narrow end, and at the wide end. And how many panels you will need. You can send private message by clicking on my name. Shipping might be creative, I have sent them in mailing tubes before, lol.
You would need one of those newer motor control boxes to operate a linear actuator-type dishmover. (the name of them escapes me, at the moment)
Welcome back to the forum!

Show us pictures:
- distant shot front & back
- pix of the mount, both sides
- pix of motor to see condition
- pix of scalar/feedhorn/LNB from various angles

The more we know, the better advice you get. ;)

Thanks for your responses! I work 12 hr shifts the next couple of days, but will send requested info on Thursday. Appreciate all the support.

Still in the learning phase here. . . The 92" dish I referenced above is pretty rough looking and missing over half of the mesh. I don't have mesh to replace what it needs, and someone recommended I get a 10-12 ft. dish that will pick up signals better. I've been looking. I live in a small town in Arkansas. There are two 12 ft. fiberglass dishes and a 92" mesh dish in good condition on a hill here in town that are left over from a cable TV company that stopped operating here a few years ago. I contacted the company and they said to take whatever I want. Unfortunately, I haven't seen any 10-12 foot mesh dishes around. The prospect of getting a fiberglass dish that large is a bit intimidating. Is a 92" mesh dish big enough to pick up much on C-band? What are your thoughts on setting up one of the 12' dishes here at home?

92 Inches or Centimeters?

A 92 CM dish will pick up little to no C-Band. Such a dish is meant for Ku-Band reception. Even a 1.2 meter dish is severely undersized for C-Band, but will pick up some strong transponders. Don't think I've ever seen a 92 CM mesh dish outside of Europe (Sky uses them, I believe)...

A 92 INCH dish is around 8 feet, and will work well for C-Band. It should pick up most of the C-Band transponders.

Last edited:
Post a few pictures of the dishes that the cable company are abandoning.
The 8ft mesh are usually quite good performers. (If in good condition) but the performance also increases with size. 12ft, is TDF for the serious FTA'r, if there's room in the 'farm'. Most common are between 7.5 and 10 ft.
I'm sure the 12's there are pretty heavy, but should be excellent performers as they are most likely commercial grade. (commercial grade :up )

"12' fiberglass" rings a alarm bell !

As I said above, post pictures.
You're not going to get good help 'till we see 'em.

While 8' is a great size to start out with, I can't recommend a junker that has half its mesh.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts