Need some advice...

Rock-A-Fella

Original poster
Jan 5, 2009
Canada
Hello everyone:

I would like to purchase a Satellite radio for my GL 1800 Gold wing and I’m overwhelmed with the different units available on the market. All come in different sizes. Some come with b/w and color screens. Other come with small and large display buttons etc.

A sales associate at one of the big Electronic chains suggested several portable units that might be suitable on a motorcycle A Delphi XM my fi or a Pioneer Inno (XM), apparently both come with a 5 hour internal battery.

I’m wondering if I would be able to tuck this unit inside the left side pocket of the bike… plug it into the auxiliary jack and use it like I would use an mp3 player or cassette player?

What unit would give the best sound quality and dollar value? A portable unit like the ones mentioned above or a stationary unit that can be mounted on the bike?

I have very limited knowledge of electronics and any suggestions or recommendations would be very much appreciated.

I don't have any experience with using an Inno on a motorcycle, but I do personally own one. I like thie Inno because you can put your own MP3 files on it, in addition to recording live XM content directly to the built in storage. There is a newer unit out now, which I think is also made by Pioneer, called XMP3 that has a micro SD slot, so you can add a ton of MP3 storage to it.

In the case of the Inno, there is a built in antenna, or you can get a small dock for it which has a hookup for an external antenna. It doesn't "lock" into the dock, so you would need to come up with some way to keep it held in place if you chose to put the dock in a place where you could see it while you are riding (at a stop sign of course). The dock also has a line out where you'd run a cable to your aux jack if you have one, and you make it sound like you do....

I think most will give you the same sound quality since it is based on the comression that XM happens to be using that day.

Make sure you price shop online, you will probably find stuff cheaper than the big box stores.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)