Need some help choosing a new reciever.

Vol02

Original poster
Sep 6, 2005
Hi, I am new to this forum and would like some help. My current reciever I have I believe is a 2700 ( I have had it for about 6 years since I purchased Dish) and I would like to upgrade. Also I have Dish 500.

Here are my questions.

If I purchase a 322 do you still have to pay for that second TV like you used to when you had additional recievers.

I am also looking at a 625 but am not sure if it I really want a DVR. Is it worth the extra charge each month?

The main things I am looking for are being able to connect to a second TV, and being able to use some of the newer features such as channel 100. Any advice or other options will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Vol02 said:
If I purchase a 322 do you still have to pay for that second TV like you used to when you had additional recievers.
if youi plug it into the phone line, you'd be OK. Otherwise, its a 4.99 charge :)

I am also looking at a 625 but am not sure if it I really want a DVR. Is it worth the extra charge each month?

a DVR is nice for the obvious reasons. If you don't do a lot of recording, the 322 should be fine

The 625 is excellent, not as excellent as Tivo, but it will do. Remember that the 625 is a DVR and unlike Tivo (except for DirecTV Tivo, the 625 records a digital stream. This is why it records 100 hours of best quality, it only has one quality, best. Anything you record will be as good as it was when it first aired as a live satellite feed. Anyone who enjoys TV, will love a Tivo. So when I hear someone who gets into a forum for people who love TV, and they say they don't think they need a DVR, or they won't like a DVR, I don't understand why. The 625 will allow you to record two programs at the same time. So if Lost was on, and so was Alias, but on another channel, you will get to watch both. All of the programs recorded on the 625, can be viewed on either TV1 or TV2. When there is a movie that you want to see, but it is on at 3am, or when you are at work, you will have it waiting for you when you get home, even if that is a month, or a year later. You can record 100 hours, or 50 full two hour movies. I record HBO movies that I missed in the local movies when they first came out. If I like the movie a lot, I leave it on the 625. Once I have 5 movies that I really like, I record them to DVD and delete them from the 625. The 625 will also record the Dolby Digital signal, so if your 625 is hooked to your surround sound receiver, you will get to hear the surround sound when you watch it off of the 625.
One thing I still want to do with my 625, is move it to the spare bedroom. The spare bedroom si the second time of the 625 because nobody is usually in that room unless we have company. We can record programs on the second tuner and it doesn't lock us out of watch whatever we want on the other. The reason I want to relocate the 625 is because both sides work equally as well, but the hardware can be a little noisy at the dead of night. On the second tuner, otherwise know as the remote side, the remote control is RF, and the user gets 100% silent control of the DVR without any of the hard drive clicking at night when we are trying to sleep. Just my 2cents. JM

Go with the 625 if you can get one. It's worth every penny of the 4.98 a month to have it.

Having a DVR changes the way you watch TV. You go from watching what happens to be on at the time you are there, to watching what you want to watch when you want to watch it.

Thanks, That helps. Right now I just record local channels on multiple TV's but can only record one Dish channel. And with the new TV season there are only a few shows I want to watch they just happen to be on at the same time on the Dish.

I suggest go with the PVR option. I have a 322 and if u keep the phone line plugged in there is no charge. Currently dish has an offer for free dvr upgrade you can look into it too.

I dont believe that there is an existing customer upgrade option for the 625 at this time, there is one for the 522 wich is the same model but the 625 has name based recording but to me that feature is a tiny bit of fluff at best.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)