Need Some Help (Dish 500 Plus w/ Dish 625 Receiver)

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

GamblerOz

Original poster
Sep 11, 2011
Texas
Hey guys, I have an installation question for y'all. We are trying to use my old Dish 500 Plus for tailgate season. I discontinued Dish Network a while back, but we are using my brother's 625 receiver. We decided to give it a spin at my house this weekend so that we're set for next week's game. I can't seem to get any signal on his receiver, here is my set up.

I have a Dish 500 satellite unmoved from when I had Dish Network, of course we'll have to take it down when we go tailgating. The cables from the dish are run into my attic which is hooked up into a DP44. The DP44 outputs are 4 coax cables running into my utility closet. I understand that the first output should be run through a power inserter. I have the first output going through the inserter and running through to the 625 receiver. I have confirmed all connections, and all cables look to be in good shape. Any ideas on what I've done wrong?

My first thought is: Do you have the power inserter facing the correct way?
Secondly, do you truly have a 500 Plus LNB out there? If so, you don't need the DPP44 Switch at all. You wouldn't need (or want) to take it tailgating, so why fool with it now. Keep it simple. BUT... first verify that you have a DPP Twin.

Hey guys, I have an installation question for y'all. We are trying to use my old Dish 500 Plus for tailgate season. I discontinued Dish Network a while back, but we are using my brother's 625 receiver. We decided to give it a spin at my house this weekend so that we're set for next week's game. I can't seem to get any signal on his receiver, here is my set up.

I have a Dish 500 satellite unmoved from when I had Dish Network, of course we'll have to take it down when we go tailgating. The cables from the dish are run into my attic which is hooked up into a DP44. The DP44 outputs are 4 coax cables running into my utility closet. I understand that the first output should be run through a power inserter. I have the first output going through the inserter and running through to the 625 receiver. I have confirmed all connections, and all cables look to be in good shape. Any ideas on what I've done wrong?

Have you tried to run a new checkswitch on your brothers receiver? His 625 is probably looking for the old dish 500 when it should be seeing a dish 500+ with a 44 switch. You can run a new checkswitch so the receiver can detect the new equipment by pressing the menu button then go to options 6, then 1, then 1. Press select on checkswitch, then test. After the test finishes you should see something like "dish 500+ with 44 switch" and three green boxes. If there are no green boxes then there is definitely a problem with the signal and we can go from there.

My first thought is: Do you have the power inserter facing the correct way?
Secondly, do you truly have a 500 Plus LNB out there? If so, you don't need the DPP44 Switch at all. You wouldn't need (or want) to take it tailgating, so why fool with it now. Keep it simple. BUT... first verify that you have a DPP Twin.

Actually yes he would need the switch if he has a 500 Plus. You're confusing the 500 Plus with a Dish Pro Plus Twin. Two completely different LNB's

Doohh! You are right, scoobyxj. That's what I get for posting after a long day. I stand corrected.

I have a dish 500 pro and a 622 reciever. I want to pick up more than satelite, it was professionally installed but it doesn't work well. I have it on a RV it was hooked up and working fine at home but when im on the road i cant seem to find a very good signal. I pulled the lnb head and found the coax is only connected to 1 lnb (110), is that correct?There was also a seperator #123254 at the back of the reciever. I removed it and it found a signal, is that normal? Is there something i can do to make it work better?

I have a dish 500 pro and a 622 reciever. I want to pick up more than satelite, it was professionally installed but it doesn't work well. I have it on a RV it was hooked up and working fine at home but when im on the road i cant seem to find a very good signal. I pulled the lnb head and found the coax is only connected to 1 lnb (110), is that correct?There was also a seperator #123254 at the back of the reciever. I removed it and it found a signal, is that normal? Is there something i can do to make it work better?

A Dish 500 can have several different LNB's on it. You need to be a bit more specific as to what LNB you have on your dish. If the dish you have is the one that was installed with the receiver then more than likely it has a Dish Pro Plus Twin on it. That being the case only the one wire is needed along with the separator to receive both sats it can look at. It doesn't matter what port it is on they both provide the same signal. If you want OTA you will need an antenna. Dish dishes will will not pick anything more than satellite.

the seperator should be installed at the reciever or at the satellite? Do i need a seperator at the back of the reciever for satellite 1&2

separator needs to be on the back of the receiver. You ether need it or two lines from the dish. Keep in mind the separator only works with Dish Pro Plus gear. If you have a Dish Pro LNB you will need two lines regardless.

scoobyxj said:
A Dish 500 can have several different LNB's on it. You need to be a bit more specific as to what LNB you have on your dish. If the dish you have is the one that was installed with the receiver then more than likely it has a Dish Pro Plus Twin on it. That being the case only the one wire is needed along with the separator to receive both sats it can look at. It doesn't matter what port it is on they both provide the same signal. If you want OTA you will need an antenna. Dish dishes will will not pick anything more than satellite.
Complete sat neophyte here so i'll keep the questions simple.
I have an old dish 500 to try to use for tailgating. How do I tell if its a pro plus lnb? I see it says 119 and 129 on it, and I assume it y's to a single coax connection thru the arm mount on the dish assembly. I have a VIP612 dvr receiver, and based on what I read above I can possibly use the old dish by splitting the coax to the 2 inputs on the back of the new receiver?

Also is there a sticky thread that has the basics for setting up a dish remotely for tailgating? TIA

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)