Need Some Help with New Receiver and OTA

milano maroon

Original poster
Aug 15, 2009
New Mexico
I recently was upgraded to a Dish 222k receiver with a dual satellite tuner. Does not have the optional OTA Tuner Module. My old system consisted of a Dish 301 single tuner receiver which I sent to several TVs located through the house. All TVs had to watch the same program but it was never a problem. I had combined the output of the 301 and a roof mounted antenna using a Transpec signal combiner. On our digital TVs I was able to get all of the OTA HD channels and then the satellite feed (non HD) on channel 3. This setup worked well for us for a number of years.

So after the upgrade to the Dish 222k dual tuner receiver can I use my combiner and receive both the OTA antenna and the 222k output at our HD TV? Or is there another way to do this? I would like to use our TV's digital tuners for the locals and use Channel 3 (or 60) for the satellite. Is this possible?

This "Home Distribution" stuff has me baffled. So if anyone could point me to a wiring diagram that would accomplish this I would appreciate it. And if the answer is to buy the optional OTA Module then that's what I will do.

Thank you for your time, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Yes. Go to Menu>Installation>Modulator Setup. Set TV1 and TV2 to air and whatever channel you want them on. Then combine the Home distribution output with your OTA to distribute throughout the house. TV 1 is the main tv connected to the 222k and TV 2 is the other tvs accessed via the Home Distribution port. In dual mode TV 1 where the 222k is, can watch something totally different that what is being watched on TV 2. Get additional Dish TV2 RF remotes for each TV and you can control TV2 channel changes from those TV's.

I would actually get an OTA tuner module for the 222k. Then you can combine the locals into the guide with the Satellite subscription channels.

There certainly is a OTA tuner available for your 222K. You can order it off the Dish site.

Thank you for your replies. I must be doing something wrong. I first tried running home distribution and my antenna through my combiner (which is a channel 3 modulator) but since the TV2 modulator setup wouldn't allow me to select channel 3 that didn't work (I could get the OTA channels using the TV's tuner). Then I tried combining home distribution and the antenna with a Holland DPD2 diplexer and sending to my TV. I could get the OTA channels using the TVs tuner but not the satellite on Channel 60.

Should I not use a diplexer to combine and just use a splitter? Or is there something I's missing.

Thank you for your time.

I just used a regular old splitter. Home Distribution Out to one leg, OTA to the other leg then output into a 5 port distribution amp that sent the signal to the other TV's in the house

Thanks again to all who have replied. Regular splitter did work but while my OTA signal is very good and I have a good sharp picture the satellite signal is degraded from what is was before combining.

Do I maybe need an attenuator on the OTA side?

Thanks again to all who have replied. Regular splitter did work but while my OTA signal is very good and I have a good sharp picture the satellite signal is degraded from what is was before combining.

Do I maybe need an attenuator on the OTA side?
You probably need an amplifier on the satellite, something like 10-15 dB.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts