Need some help with upgrade path

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Trav

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Mar 3, 2004
I'm currently own an HR10-250 receiver and have two dishes on my roof (one for locals). I have the Family programming package with the added HD package and of course, DVR service. I purchased the HR10-250 from Value Electronics a couple of years ago when it was still over $800. At that time, those of us who purchased it were promised a "free" or "minimal fee" upgrade to the MPEG4 model when it came out.

I've been away from the boards for quite some time, but from what I understand, to upgrade and be ready for the new national HD channels coming out later I will need to get the HR20 receiver and a new larger dish that will replace my two older ones? Is that correct?

So here are my questions:

1) How much is DTV currently charging those who own the HR10 to upgrade to the HR20? I assume since I own the HR10 that I would get to keep that, right?

2) I also assume they offer a free dish upgrade, right? What is the model number of the dish I would need to be ready for MPEG4 and the new national HD channels?

3) HD Locals are not available in my area yet, but when they are, I assume that the new receiver and dish will be ready for them, right?

Let me know if there's anything I missed or got wrong.

Thanks a bunch!

1-800-531-5000 and ask they are the ones that can answer your question. If you don't like the answer just say no thank you. Of course they might give you an answer you can't refuse.

Read this thread I posted 2 weeks ago, it details my experience and I was in almost the exact same situation as you, good luck. BTW, when I called DirecTV customer support, I said "cancel service" at the prompt and it put me strait through to retention, bypassing the level 1 do-nothing CSR. Don't worry, it won't actually cancel your service, it just determines where to route your call to.

http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=94276

Thanks for the suggestions. I did call the support number and got to the retention department. However, I was unsuccessful at getting an acceptable deal. He (Louis or Luis, something like that) wanted to charge me $299 for the HR20 upgrade but said he would give me a $100 credit. I told him I paid over $800 for the HR10 some time ago and was told at that time that there would be a "nominal" fee to upgrade to MPEG4. He told me that since HD locals are not available in my area, that's the only offer he could give me. Unfortunately, he wouldn't budge even after I told him I was "looking around" at other options.

Should I just try again later with a different CSR, or would I need to wait until closer in the fall when the national channels come out that will require MPEG4? Surely, they aren't going to make me pay $200 just so I can get the new HD channels later this year!

Try again in June/July/Sept until you get an offer you like, you aren't missing anything yet for programming so there is no reason to rush.

Thanks for the suggestions. I did call the support number and got to the retention department. However, I was unsuccessful at getting an acceptable deal. He (Louis or Luis, something like that) wanted to charge me $299 for the HR20 upgrade but said he would give me a $100 credit. I told him I paid over $800 for the HR10 some time ago and was told at that time that there would be a "nominal" fee to upgrade to MPEG4. He told me that since HD locals are not available in my area, that's the only offer he could give me. Unfortunately, he wouldn't budge even after I told him I was "looking around" at other options.

Should I just try again later with a different CSR, or would I need to wait until closer in the fall when the national channels come out that will require MPEG4? Surely, they aren't going to make me pay $200 just so I can get the new HD channels later this year!

Are you an "A" list customer?.Those are the ones that get the best deals.The package you have to me probably wouldn't qualify you for such an offer,but that is just my opinion.You can call and ask if they tell you no then you will know why they offered you what they did.But if they tell you yes then yes you should be given a better deal.;)

Are you an "A" list customer?.Those are the ones that get the best deals.The package you have to me probably wouldn't qualify you for such an offer,but that is just my opinion.You can call and ask if they tell you no then you will know why they offered you what they did.But if they tell you yes then yes you should be given a better deal.;)

I don't know if I'm considered an "A-List" customer or not. I have had the HD package on my account ever since I bought the HR10-250 about 2 years ago. The reason I only have the Family Plan instead of one of the other more comprehensive plans is because I want them in HD. I can't really stand to watch any of the SD channels anymore on my HDTV.

Speaking of which, when they do offer the 100+ national channels later this year, will they be pack of the HD package, part of another add-on package, or will they just be included in whatever plan you have that has those channels?

Last edited:
I don't know if I'm considered an "A-List" customer or not. I have had the HD package on my account ever since I bought the HR10-250 about 2 years ago. The reason I only have the Family Plan instead of one of the other more comprehensive plans is because I want them in HD. I can't really stand to watch any of the SD channels anymore on my HDTV.

Speaking of which, when they do offer the 100+ national channels later this year, will they be pack of the HD package, part of another add-on package, or will they just be included in whatever plan you have that has those channels?

When the new HD channels come online they will be MPEG-4.The HD package is $9.99 now,But I would look for an adjustment next March 1st.The basics should be separate,with locals and premiums combined just like now.but all HD channels will graduate to MPEG-4.With the HD subscriber needing the MPEG-4 receivers and the 5 LNB dish.Understand this all depends on the successful launches and setups of D10&D11.:rolleyes:

A List customer is Account holder that has never had there sevice shut off,been with directv for at least 2 or more years ,who holds a fairly large Directv account in good standing. meaning if you only have Family pack,Its going to take longer to get on that list,then somone who is a great customer with the Premier pack. Who ever makes them more money is who they cater to first.If you want to know if your on that list .Call Directv with you service address phone,and they will say "you are on our A list" Not to sound mean to anyone ,but they like it when your account is really active.Upgrades, sports packages,new equip.

2) I also assume they offer a free dish upgrade, right? What is the model number of the dish I would need to be ready for MPEG4 and the new national HD channels?
3) HD Locals are not available in my area yet, but when they are, I assume that the new receiver and dish will be ready for them, right?
Thanks a bunch!
All new dish installs are using the AU-9 (Slimline) 5-lnb dish. You could go ahead and upgrade the dish (for free), then when HD locals are turned on in your area, try to negotiate an upgrade to the HR20. You could also add an H20 (free) which would allow you to watch the new mpeg-4 HD channels. :)

All new dish installs are using the AU-9 (Slimline) 5-lnb dish. You could go ahead and upgrade the dish (for free), then when HD locals are turned on in your area, try to negotiate an upgrade to the HR20. You could also add an H20 (free) which would allow you to watch the new mpeg-4 HD channels. :)

Thanks for the tips. So what happens when the new HD national channels come out later this year? Would I have better luck upgrading to the HR20 at that time? I don't think HD locals are coming to my area any time soon, and I'm not too concerned about that since I have an antenna on my roof for getting those anyway.

So they'll do the dish upgrade at any time for free? And I'll need to the new dish for both HD locals and the new HD nationals?

Thanks.

Thanks for the tips. So what happens when the new HD national channels come out later this year? Would I have better luck upgrading to the HR20 at that time? I don't think HD locals are coming to my area any time soon, and I'm not too concerned about that since I have an antenna on my roof for getting those anyway.

So they'll do the dish upgrade at any time for free? And I'll need to the new dish for both HD locals and the new HD nationals?

Thanks.

No never heard of that.As far as I know you get the new dish with the new HD units.If you wait until the channels are up you may get put on a waiting list.;)

actually, i might try to work out a deal for the hr20 now. come august or september, they may become a dime a dozen cause everyone will want one!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts