Need some installer advise - Problem when turning on receivers

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Y2k06

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Jan 16, 2006
I had an original thread **HERE**.

In a nutshell, we now have a 211, 622 and recently added a 722. The installer came out and dinked with many things trying for a signal. (He clearly had no idea what he was doing). Finally, at my suggestion (that I got here), he added in a DPP44 and after some pains getting it going, it finally seemed to work.

Well, for the last 2 mornings, after everything has been off all night, when we turn on the TV on the 622 in the morning, there is a screen that says "satellite signal lost", then 3 boxes, OK, HELP, CANCEL . Pushing any of them do nothing to break out of that screen.

As a 'fix' I have to turn on the 722 (which has same message), then press menu and 6, 1, 1 then Check Switch - It runs that test then point dish for signals. After some delay, a signal is re-acquired and then both the 622 and 722 come alive again.

My guess is, the DPP44 needs a power inserter. Would that be a valid and probable fix? Also, getting 'signal drift' but here that is not conclusive evidence anything is wrong, as when they all work, they work perfectly with good signal meter (50% or better).

System is running on a Dish 1000, 3 cables off that go into a DPP 44, and the one remaining SD receiver is running off a Dish 500 on a DP34 (like a separate system).

The "Mrs" is getting quite annoyed with this problem as she gets up 1/2 hour before me and likes to watch TV while guzzling some coffee to get the day going and watch the news..... The last two mornings she goes outside, eats a Jeep and comes and spits the parts at me!

Last edited:
you are correct you need the power supply on port 1 on your 44 switch.... once 1 of the reciever goes idle. it looks like the switch is loosing power. as long you have 3 reciever hooked powered up the switch will be power.

solution: get power supply on ebay.
or get 1000.2

whats your drift value ?

Nope-- Guarantee there is no power inserter. This guy that came out to do the install had a IQ of less than -25.

From the get-go, I begged him to just put in a DPP44 switch, then could have been in and out of the house in less than an hour.. But, no, he tried hooking up the receivers thru the DP34 switch, which didn't work - DUH, then just took the leads off the 3 incoming cables from the D-1000 and used barrel connectors direct to receiver - again, nothing!

Finally, he goes to the truck and comes back with a multi-LNB (4 LNB) array and wants to attach that to the existing D-1000 then run more new cables direct to the receiver via barrel connectors.... DUH... I FINALLY convinced him NOT to do that and to at least TRY the DPP44, and after he put the system back like it was, just plugged in the 44 switch and began to work, after nearly 3 hours on site getting it up and running..... There was NO power inserter attached, as I followed his every move - in fact had to point out and show him how to hook it up in the first damn place. At the time, I didn't think about the power inserter, but now is making sense.

How is the fastest way to get one of these? If I can go get one somewhere I will.. I have 110v outlet in the attic within a couple of feet of the DPP44. Just need to know which side and where/how the inserter is properly connected in the chain.

Um if you only have the 3 receivers, 722, 622, and 211 you dont need a DP34. The DPP44 switch can run up to 4 boxes or 8 tuners. There should only be 3 wires going to the DPP44 and 3 wires off going to receivers. The power inserter should be hooked up to port 1 of the 44 switch.

Um if you only have the 3 receivers, 722, 622, and 211 you dont need a DP34. The DPP44 switch can run up to 4 boxes or 8 tuners. There should only be 3 wires going to the DPP44 and 3 wires off going to receivers. The power inserter should be hooked up to port 1 of the 44 switch.

Still have one 508 SD receiver that is running on the original D500 going thru a DP34. Long story how that happened. Not a concern right now though.

Call the idiot back and have him give you the power inserter that came with the DPP44. THe inserter can be by the switch or by the receiver as long as it is the one on the #1 port of the switch. It is labled as to how to hook it up. Only an idiot could mess that up, so don't let him do it...lol

Can't belive that someone doing this work could be that clueless. This is not rocket sicence, basic stuff here. You must have a real loser of an RSP in your area.

Still have one 508 SD receiver that is running on the original D500 going thru a DP34. Long story how that happened. Not a concern right now though.

call dish and have them RA Power Inserter for 44 Switch. (MAKE SURE YOU HAVE THEM RA POWER INSERTER)

and you are sure he didn't put a power inserter behind one of the recievers right? Cause the thing came with the switch, you woulda thought the guy would have stuck it somewhere. Maybe he just didnt get it on the number 1 side.

Nevertheless, call the idiot back and make him come fix it

Follow-up - Updated!

I am quite certain this moron did NOT add the inserter in the loop anywhere.. I followed him along every step and was in disbelief when I see him start crawling around on the roof, then tries to connect each of the 3 HD's using barrel connectors - not even using a switch!

I knew this was headed nowhere. This guy was so dumb... we had to pull another cable off the D1000, so I told him I would go up in the attic and unhook a cable, tape a nylon rope to it then have him pull it back out, then tape the new wire to the rope and use that as a fish. I would pull both lines back in. So, I yank on the cable he is to pull.. instead..he tapes the new line (using my electrical tape cause he didn't have any on him) on the cable I am yanking on then starts pushing the line back into the attic. (didn't realize he only had about a foot of cable from his side):confused: Then he just stops. Three floors up, I scurry down and out to the side of the house to see him just standing there doing nothing.

I explained, look man...you've got to PULL this line back until you see the the end of the fish then tape the new wire at the end of the line, then I'll pull it back with both lines on it. That was like a supersonic jet just buzzed over his head.. And, he didn't have any electrical tape in his tool pack.. He asked if I had any! So I pull the line till the end comes out, use MY tape on the new wire, then back up to the attic while he just stands awestruck about the whole thing. He comes up and puts connectors on. Knowing the DPP44 switch does a little better with some extra length on the stinger, he then cuts that flush with the F connectors tip. GEEESH - what a nightmare.

UPDATE! I found on Craigslist.org a guy that had a bunch of parts he was selling and happened to have an inserter. I met him 1/2 way between my place and his and got it for $10. Hurried home, made the connection and happy to report all is well. Everything now works exactly as it should.

How can D* employ someone of such incompetence? Repeated phone calls to E* CSR's fell on deaf ears (talking to some guy in India named "John" - Yeah right.. Well my name is Rin-Tin-Tin. Absolutely no help whatsoever. Said they could not re-open that same work order and would have to generate a new one and would be 4 or 5 days before someone could come out and do the install "properly". I begged them just send me the power inserter by FedEx overnight. Might as well been talking to a wall.

So, all is well.

Thanks to all of you who helped and allow me to vent. The "Mrs" is now happy again and quit eating the neighbors cars and spitting the parts out at me and now joyfully sips her coffee in the morning while surfing the channels for her favorites to watch in the mornings.

Last edited:
Now take that last SD receiver off of the other dish. Run three cables from the DPP44 to the DP34. Run a check switch and you will be good to go. Then take that other dish down. THere is no need for it, unless getting cables from the DPP44 to the DP34 is just not possible.

How can D* employ someone of such incompetence? Repeated phone calls to E* CSR's fell on deaf ears (talking to some guy in India named "John" - Yeah right.. Well my name is Rin-Tin-Tin. Absolutely no help whatsoever.

I used to love this company and not that I had them but that I worked for them at a time when Charlie Ergen pushed for quality and doing things right. The company had been plagued by shady retailers and contractors charging huge amounts of money for equipment and installs ( 2700 and a 3800 with a dish 300 for upwards of $2,000 ) and wanted his inhouse teams to be a shining star. Sure dish was charging for equipment and installation work but nothing like what we were running into on service calls and it was in most regards aforedable. In 2001 Att cable started running commercials out east about all the charges satellite tv would put on an install and rather than defend themselves both Direct and Dish started dropping fee's in early 2002 and so started the cow towing and the decline of what was once a good company to have and to work for.

When the new sub numbers started going up in 02 and 03 Charlie got hungry when he compared them to Directvs growth and then he got greedy and started loosing site of all that was important such as his customers and his employee's. I like dish but I have no love for the company or service or its leader, he has let slip quality for quantity wich has hurt the customers and ultimately the company and the industry.

and you are sure he didn't put a power inserter behind one of the recievers right? Cause the thing came with the switch, you woulda thought the guy would have stuck it somewhere. Maybe he just didnt get it on the number 1 side.

Nevertheless, call the idiot back and make him come fix it

you will be suprise, been to so many install whre the everything works w/o power intserter.

the wrost part of them 118.7 repoint kits. cause they dont have power inserter everything works perfect, but than once you do check switch to comfirm the 118.7 it stops working,.:mad:

you will be suprise, been to so many install whre the everything works w/o power intserter.

the wrost part of them 118.7 repoint kits. cause they dont have power inserter everything works perfect, but than once you do check switch to comfirm the 118.7 it stops working,.:mad:

i had one job that the was about a 15' cable run total... between the dish, ground block, switch, receiver. When I hooked up the power inserter I kept getting odd check switch results. Took the inserter out and it worked fine... left it out, and have never heard back from the customer.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts