Need Some Upgrade Advice ...

speedmaster

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 18, 2011
NY
We're longtime DishNetwork customers and are pretty happy with it. Getting ready to buy our first HDTV and upgrade or service. We may at the same time switch from DishNetwork to TimeWarner. TWC has a decent promotion going on now, $33 each for RoadRunner, HDTV, and Phone.

I have a bunch of questions. :)

Any chance I can get any concessions from DishNetwork if I tell them I may leave?

Since we'll only have one actual HD television, will we still be able to watch non-HD channels on the other TVs in our house?

Do the DishNetwork HD DVRs have that Sling capability built-in? That seems pretty slick.

Anything else worth noting?

Thanks in advance!!

Chris

1. If you mention you're considering leaving you should probably get some kind of offer. What you get depends on how long you've been with them, whether or not you're under contract and a few other factors. The threat to leave is one of those cards to play once though - sort of like threatening to quit your job unless you get a raise. It works only once.

2. Dish has 2 HD-DVR's (the 722 and 922) that can output to 2 TV's. One output is HD and the second is SD so you can watch all your channels on both TV's. Even channels that are HD-only will be scaled down to view on the SD set.

3. The 922 model has the sling function built-in. The 722 doesn't have it built-in but an external unit can be purchased and installed to add sling to it. In your case if Sling is a "must-have" starting out with the 922 might be cheaper. As you may guess the 922 is the higher-end unit with several features the 722 doesn't have. I'd suggest you browse the Dish forum here. A little research will help you decide which model is right for you. The 922, for all its bells & whistles, has had a few stumbles since it was launched.

I hope you stay with Dish. I've heard a lot of complaints about TWC's DVR's.

Hello Chris, I would be more then happy to look into a upgrade for you. Please PM your account number and we will see what we can work out. Thank you.

Just to let you know in advance that the triple play deal from TWC does not include HD or DVR service.

Yup, the ad in our area says 'Starting at $33.33', so chances are it's VERY basic service, plus it's just for the first year so after that there's no telling what it'll go up to. Granted Dish can go up anytime (going up $5 next month I believe on all plans), but I'm sure the promotional cost through TW will be much more after the fact.

For me I always ignore promotional rates or rates that say 'starting at...' because that's just marketing to get you in. Once you add DVR, HD, and all the other bells and whistles chances are you aren't saving much.

Just my two cents --

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)