Need to buy stuff for 5th TV - Not sure exactly what...

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

IceMan5043

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 23, 2004
Cedar Grove, New Jersey
Hey guys. Let me briefly explain my situation. I currently have 4 TVs hooked up to DishHD Gold service. I have one 622 box for two TVs (one obviously being an HDTV) and one 522 box for my other two TVs. Now, I also have an old big-screen TV in the basement, but it's currently only used for DVDs and such. I'm thinking about adding Dish service to this TV. I am aware that Dish will basically FORCE me to pay for my own receiver if I choose to add a 5th TV, so I'd probably get either a 311 or 322 form Dishstore.net, depending on whether or not I may choose to add 6th TV for the kitchen at some point. However, I believe I read somewhere on this forum that I would need to upgrade my switch or something in order to accept 5 tuners. What would this supposed "upgrade" be? I am almost certain I currently have a DPP34 switch, and I know it is only capable of accepting 4 tuners at a time. I also know that I would have to buy the receiver on my own for $99/$149, but will Dish also FORCE me to pay for whatever switch upgrade I may need, or will they provide this during installation? Also, does Dish even DO an installation of my 5th receiver (I'm assuming for a small fee), or would I have to do everything myself and then just call them to activate the receiver once I'm done? Thanks for helping me out through this crazy process - I find it utterly ridiculous that Dish will not allow their customers to have more than 4 TVs hooked up without paying out of their own pocket for it...

I signed up as a new customer in March, being a former customer for 7 years having left for cable for a bit. I wanted 6 receivers, so I knew Dish was going to supply a DP34 and Dish 1000 and a 622, 211 and a 211, so I bought a DP44, 522 and two more 211's and installed a 61.5 dish and the DP44 before they arrived. He swapped out the 500 for the 1000, handed me the DP34 he was to install and installed his 3 receivers and since I already had the others done, we were ready to go. I also have another 500 and 300 on my house I run the 522 and one 211 off of, but I could get another DP44 if I wanted to take them down.

I have a JVC (2) JVC 311's in the closet if you want one, email me. $20 plus shipping, or try E-Bay for a receiver, maybe a DVR, just make sure they seller has multiple positive feedback.

So I take it that I must buy the DPP44 switch by myself? And will Dish do the installation (and for what price)? Is there anything else that could work for me other than the expensive DPP44 switch?

Thanks! OK, so I am currently looking at $215 for a new 322 and DPP34 from Dishstore.net. Will I need anything else in order to do this, such as special screws or my own coaxial cabling? And will Dish do the installation for me, or must I do it myself? If they do it for me, what am I looking at in terms of $$$?

You may want to check and see what switch you currently have. Are you sure you don't already have a DPP44 hooked up? B/c if that's the case it'll simply be a matter of running another cable to the receiver you want to hook up.

Unless you have a need to watch and or record 5 shows at once, why not just split the rf output from one of your tuners and send it down to that basement TV. If you get that 6th TV for the kitchen split another 2nd tuner output or get a distribution amp and send 2 or more of your tuners outputs to all out your TV's. If you do not want to use coax, get a wireless video transmitter and receiver(s) and send that 2nd tuners signals to your extra TV(s). This is a much cheaper and simpler way to distribute your satellite signals, no need for upgrading satellite switches and the added bonus of no extra monthly receiver charge. :)

Last edited:
OK, yes I am POSITIVE that I have the DP34 switch. I doubled checked. Chris, thanks for your suggestion, but I really would want to watch 5 different shows at the same time. So, basically, would ALL that I need to buy be another DP34 switch and 322 box? And could someone please shed some light on my installation question above? Thank you all very much. I know asking the knowledgable people here is FAR better than getting another half-assed answer from a Dish rep.

Edit: Oh yes, and will the DP24 work instead of the DP34 for 6 tuners? What if I only need one extra tuner and choose to get a 311 instead? I'm trying to do this as cheaply as possible obviously...

Another DP34 is the recommended method - as long as you can get 2 RG-6 cable feeds to the 322.

IF and ONLY if: 1. you went with a single-tuner (301 or 311) AND 2. only have two satellite feeds to the DP34, then you could hang a DP21 on the cascade outputs of the DP34. It's not an approved configuration, but it works just fine.

I noticed that no one has talked about installation - yes, it's gonna cost you if you don't do it yourself.

I see, so since I have 3 satellite locations I will need a DP34 switch. That's not that bad then, it looks like a $215 (receiver + switch) solution. I looked at the manual and it seems simple enough. I believe the basement is already hooked up with the coaxial cable - there's just no receiver to supply any signal. Thanks for the help. It also looks like I can avoid an installation charge entirely as long as I do it myself. That's a plus, since the whole thing seems simple enough.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)