Need upscale universal remote for 2 DVR's on one TV

Rob Relf

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Sep 27, 2004
I just bought a new Sony 40" LCD tv and I have both my 921 for HD and my 721 for everything else connected to it (also antenna, basic cable, DVD, VCR.) Works fine but have many remotes on the couch now and wife has trouble with this setup. I have started looking at fancy universal, programmable remotes to consolidate everything. I am looking for recommendations of remotes that can handle 2 dvr's with different remote addresses (IR is fine). I especially want something that can operate more than one piece of equipment without having to explicitly change modes each time ("tv", "tuner", "dvr", etc.) I am willing to spend some money but don't really want to look at remotes that cost $500 or more. If you understand what I am looking for (maybe better than I do at this point!) please tell me what has worked for you. Thanks!

Rob

LER said:
I keep hearing "Harmony" remotes.... ...

I have a Harmony 680 that is about a year old. It does everthing the OP wants

I have two 508's on an old 53" Sony. The 508's of course are on two different remote addresses. We also have a 942 in another location and we have that set's Remote 2 on again a different frequency.

As far as the two 508's being controled by one remote it works just fine and I also control my A/V Tuner, DVD Player, and (gasp) my VHS Tape Recorder.

The Model I have is found at: http://tinyurl.com/4qhqg

but you can do much better on price elsewhere .... and they have newer Models out now, including with a Color LCD screen.

Last edited:
yeah, i have read a number of reviews and people's opinions for them.
It came down to either the 676 or the 680. I chose the 680 because it has "hard" keys as opposed to the soft keys of the 676. I use my remote a lot and the lettering on those soft-key remotes tends to wear off.

I have been able to find the 680 for $94.50 on Nextag.com, but I am still trying to get one for less off Ebay.

Thanks for the replies. I have looked around online and found a Harmony model 688 which apparently has a button layout specifically geared towards DVR use. I can't find any local stores which carry this model, so I may have to take the plunge and order it online. Does anyone have this remote?

Rob

Rob Relf said:
Thanks for the replies. I have looked around online and found a Harmony model 688 which apparently has a button layout specifically geared towards DVR use. ...

Rob,

Some of us found the 680 more intuitive for our DVR's than the 688. Some of the big box stores carry Harmony, but I found it to be readily available on-line at hefty discounts.

Last edited:
I agree with SaltiDawg. The 680 was my choice and I haven't been disappointed.
I think the raised buttons are better and easier to find in a dim room.

I picked up a Harmony 880 (color LCD with recharging base) and can't say enough good about it.

After having had a number of Philips Pronto remotes (all programmed with some success) and never having been able to get them programed to the level that I was satisified with, I decided to try a Harmony remote based soley on the advice of a friend.

In less than two hours of removing the remote from the packaging, I had it fully programmed to the point that I could hand it over to my non-technical wife, who easily turned on the DVD player, TV and receiver with the press of a single button!

That's right, the macros are all built in. All you have to do is select your components, set up your activities, flash the remote and do some minor tweaking!

The best part about this is that after using the remote control only once, both my “practical” wife and my "stodgy", "frugal" and "overly practical" mother in law approve of the purchase. Yeah, the woman who told me that a table saw wasn’t “needed” (who now often asks me to cut things for her) saw this as a worthwhile purchase.

The thing is so nice, I’ve got approval to purchase a second one for the primary Home Theater, once the basement is finished.

…another cool thing, is that my three year old daughter can pause and “un-pause” any DVD that she’s watching and, depending on the mode, the pause button will operate the DVR so she can pause cartoons!

I don't know about the other models other than my friend, who has the 688 (which runs through batteries fairly fast). This is the main reason I've chosen the 880 with lithium ion batteries and a charging base.

Regards,

Jeff

SpenceJT said:
I don't know about the other models other than my friend, who has the 688 (which runs through batteries fairly fast). This is the main reason I've chosen the 880 with lithium ion batteries and a charging base.

Jeff,

You're right about batteries... I go thru batteries about every six weeks with my usage. I picked up some rechargeables so it's no longer a monthly expense.:)

Your 880 sounds great!

Yup! but after having spent upwards of $600 on the Pronto Pro TSU6000 (which was sold on eBay) and never getting it fully programmed, my wife didn't question the $250 pricetag! ;)

Logitech / Harmony has a new one, the H-890, both an IR and RF type of remote.We have the H-880, and it works good, has a few flaws, not going to get into it here, we won this remote here, the last contest Sat.Guys had. We also have the Universal Remotes MX-500, which is not a computer programed remote, they do have a few that is computer programmed. I've had the MX-500 when it first came out and I say it is the best remote I have had the pleasure to program and operate, and I I've programmed quite a few. I have not programmed one of Universal Remotes computer programmable ones, but, I can recommend their remotes just from reputation.Check out remotecentral.com for user reviews of just about any remote out there.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts