Need wiring help for a vip 722k receiver and dish

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

NAT01

Original poster
Apr 20, 2014
US
He everyone, I'm new to the forums but not technology in general. The comcast tech came out a few weeks back to hook up the downstairs neighbor's internet and conveniently disconnected every wire at the distribution box area. I have a vip 722k and the dish off the building has two coax lines coming inbounds. I'm pretty sure there were no unattached wires at the distribution box prior to the cable guy disconnecting everything. From what I can see there may be two diplexers out at the box but I'm confused on how those two inbound coax lines would connect unless there is a 2-1 combination connector? We have one tv in the living room and the bedroom has a coax line running to the tv in which used tv2 through that coax line. But the tv2's coax line ran back out to the distribution box and not directly to the vip 722k. I'd really appreciate a simple how to with connecting things back up. I've only been able to get the Sat1 feed into the diplexer working. I connected the line for tv2 into the uhf port and tried changing the settings with no success on getting it to work. Also, is there a certain sequence on connecting these wires through the grounding block first? Thanks for any help with this. I really appreciate it.

One of the two sat feeds off the dish goes to the sat port on the diplexer, line coming from the 722 goes to the in/out port, and TV2 line goes to the uhf port

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Reactions: ratherboat
Hey thanks for the info. I actually had the in/out line and sat lines reversed. But also, I still am not receiving a signal from the uhf line to tv2. The tag on the uhf line coming out from the 722k box is labeled "CH 21-69". Does this mean that tv 2 needs to be on cable or antenna for the proper input? The 722k will not allow me to program under channel 72 on the cable selection option.

Set the 2nd TV's input to cable and then do a scan. See if that will pick up the signal. Alternatively, go to the Scan Channels on the TV. There should be a selection for Cable or Antenna. Select Antenna and then do the scan.

You should choose whichever works best. In any event, the ViP722 modulator and TV must be set to the same mode (CATV vs AIR).

Well,it looks as if in the mess of wires, I had the wrong line for tv2 connected. I found the correct one but now the channel is set to cable and channel 75. I tried a couple other channels but I am now getting a very snowy picture with static noise. Is this a line quality issue? Perhaps the lines aren't connected correctly on the diplexer causing this?

Ensure that the in out port is connected to the cable going to the receiver. And the uhf/vhf port is connected to the cable going to the tv2 location. And sat is for sure connected to the satellite feed.

Usually when you have a fuzzy screen on tv2 the in/out and sat are backwards.

One of the two sat feeds off the dish goes to the sat port on the diplexer, line coming from the 722 goes to the in/out port, and TV2 line goes to the uhf port

Hello - do you need to worry about the grounding on the above answer?

Go back into the modulator menu on the 722k rcvr and turn off the TV1 channel. Usually if you've done the channel scan at the TV location, and the TV1 and TV2 modulated output is enabled from the 722k rcvr, your TV2 will pick up channel 75 and 73. Those are the default modulated cable channel settings on the 722k. Turn off TV1 setting and tune your TV2 down the channel 73.

Go back into the modulator menu on the 722k rcvr and turn off the TV1 channel. Usually if you've done the channel scan at the TV location, and the TV1 and TV2 modulated output is enabled from the 722k rcvr, your TV2 will pick up channel 75 and 73. Those are the default modulated cable channel settings on the 722k. Turn off TV1 setting and tune your TV2 down the channel 73.
Actually default channels are 62 for TV1 and 60 for TV2

Ideally, yes. If it was originally installed by a "professional", there should be a ground block installed on the wire coming from the dish, then the diplexor is connected to the ground block.

Thank you, I have done this but now I have a clear picture on TV1 and a fuzzy picture on TV2. TV2 works fine with the exception of the fuzzyness.

I will be back on site tomorrow and will check to make sure the connection are correct but I believe that they are.
Thanks again.

If using cable 73 for TV2, try switching the channel to 116 and change the modulator channel to Air 60. See if that clears up some of the fuzzy TV2 image. Can even do Air 21 on TV, and Cable 73 on the box.