Need your help concerning FIOS

Neutron

Founding Supporter
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 7, 2003
Texas
My mom and stepdad finally got fed up with their phone bill with Verizon. So I did some research and found out that FIOS, which they currently have, does not require a phone line or phone number to work properly. I even called and spoke with a rep on their behalf who confirmed what I read. She said that all my folks would have to do is just have the FIOS charged to their credit card every month. No problem there.

They want to port their number from Verizon to Vonage. As far as I know, from the FCC law, number portability is to take place if the party agrees to it and the central office the number is coming from is equipped for it. Well, my mom called Verizon today to let them know that she wants to keep her FIOS, but that their number is going to be ported over soon. Verizon tried to tell her that her phone number is tied to her fiber optic line, and that they do not allow number porting.

Can anyone help us out here?

I have FIOS without a phone number so I know you can do it. I originally had a Verizon phone number, that was ported to Comcast that was ported to Vonage.

You should not have a problem getting the number ported to Vonage, but I am not sure of the mechanism that will move your FIOS from tied to a number to naked.

You may have to ask Verizon about the FIOS connection WHEN your number is ported, rather than asking IF your number can be ported. As far as I know, Vonage can tell you IF they can port your number.

If Vonage says it can port your number, I don't think that Verizon would have a choice, although it may take a while to do it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)